Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
B1313 - Educational Indoctrination Bill 2018, TSR Government

A

BILL

TO

prevent the ‘extremist’ indoctrination of pupils in educational institutions.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1 - Definitions
(1) Where referenced in this Act, the following words are to be defined as follows:-
(a) as defined by the Education Act 1996:
(i) ‘School’ shall refer to any educational institution which is simultaneously outside of the further education and higher education sector, yet remains a institution with provisions to provide any combination of primary, and/or secondary education.
(ii) ‘Pupil’ shall refer to any person and/or entity to whom provisions for education are made;
(b) for the sole purpose of this Act:-
(i) ‘Educational institution’ shall refer to an institution or establishment at which active provisions are made for education, regardless of the age of those to whom said education provisions have been made.
(ii) ‘Educational staff’ shall refer to those employed, through any mechanism, by schools or educational institutions; this includes but is not limited to: teachers; volunteers; entities/persons on the governing body; representatives of the local education authority; inspectors; management staff; receptionists; first aids; and, those in ‘temporary employment’, id est, those requested, or by their own accord desire, to attend school for the purpose of education, whether or not as an external speaker, teacher or observer.
(iii) ‘Indoctrination’ shall, at bare minimum, refer to the imbuement and inculcation of principles, opinions, points of view, ideals, attitudes, cognitive strategies or professional methodologies that have indisputable and explicit links to proscribed organisations.
(iv) ‘Accepted mainstream politics’ shall refer to the practices, beliefs and information exercised, held by, or pertaining to political parties or institutions registered with the Electoral Commission and capable to run in elections.

2 - Existing legislation
(1) Sections 406 and 407 of the Education Act of 1996 shall remain unaffected.
(2) Where there are contradictions between the Education Act of 1996 and the Educational Indoctrination Act of 2018, the latter is to take precedence.

3 - Indoctrination
(1) The local education authority, governing body, head teacher and all members of staff in their individual capacity, are duly obliged to:-
(a) forbid the pursuit of partisan principles, opinions, points of view, ideals, attitudes, cognitive strategies or professional methodologies by educational staff that have indisputable and explicit links to proscribed organisation;
(b) forbid the promotion of partisan principles, opinions, points of view, ideals, attitudes, cognitive strategies or professional methodologies in the teaching of any subject in the school that have indisputable and explicit links to proscribed organisation;

4 - Proscribed groups or organisations
(1) Proscribed groups or organisations shall refer to any individual, group, organisation or entity proscribed by Her Majesty's Principal Secretary of State for the Home Department under section 3 of the Terrorism Act of 2000.
(2) Any organisation proscribed by Her Majesty’s Principal Secretary of State for the Home Department is said to have:-
(a) committed or participated in acts of terrorism;
(b) prepared for terrorism;
(c) promoted, encourages or unlawfully glorified terrorism;
(d) otherwise concerned themselves with terrorism.

5 - Action
(1) On notification of an act of indoctrination with indisputable and explicit links to proscribed groups or organisations, where said act goes against accepted mainstream politics and where ample evidence confirming said act has been collected, or can be collected in due course, the local educational authority, the governing body and the headteacher are duly obliged to:-
(a) notify the police, and where necessary and requested, hold the member of educational staff, using reasonable force, on the educational institution’s premises, where the safety of pupils and fellow members of education staff are not at risk, until the member of education staff is under the control/possession of the Police.
(b) immediately surrender all files, information and known assets of the member of education staff to the relevant authority
(c) within twenty-four hours, notify the Secretary of State for Education, the Department for Education, Her Majesty's Principal Secretary of State for the Home Department, and the Home Office.
(d) within seventy-two hours, convene an emergency meeting of the governing body with compulsory attendance, under the sole premise of total confidentiality, with at least one representative from each of the following:-
(i) the local educational authority,
(ii) the Department of Education,
(iii) CONTEST,
(iv) the Home Office.
(e) if and when appropriate, notify all parents of pupils currently in attendance at the educational institution, as well as all those who may have come into contact with the affected member of educational staff unless the parties detailed in subsection (c) or subsection (d) raise concerns in doing so.

6 - Records
(1) The local education authority, governing body and the school must keep dedicated records of recorded instances of ‘indoctrination’.
(2) Records of ‘indoctrination’ must include, at the bare minimum:-
(a) the name of the member of educational staff;
(b) the date and approximate time of the instance of indoctrination;
(c) the pupil(s) affected by indoctrination;
(d) the type of indoctrination;
(e) the exact actions and/or words;
(f) at least two ‘independent’ witnesses - this may be replaced with closed circuit television footage obtained by the educational institution or unaltered multimedia sources exterior to the educational institution where the legitimacy of said source can be verified to a probability that exceeds 80%.
(3) These records must be available on demand, in full, to the Secretary of State, and provided to the Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills at regular intervals.
(4) These records may also be provided through the application of external legislation:
(a) Where a request for the aforementioned records has been made to the educational institution under the entitlements as detailed under section 7 of Data Protection Act 1998, the educational institution must, in accordance with section 2 of the Data Protection Act 1998, provide the full entry with the following redacted:-
(i) personal details, other than his/her name, relating to the member of educational staff;
(ii) explicit details relating to the member of educational staff’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious beliefs, membership of trade unions, physical or mental health or condition, sexual life, the commission or alleged commission by him of any offence, or any proceedings for any offence committed or alleged to have been committed by him, the disposal of such proceedings or the sentence of any court in such proceedings;
(iii) identifying information in regards to the ‘independent’ witnesses;
(b) Where a request for the aforementioned records has been made to the educational institution under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, the educational institution must, in accordance with section 2 of the Data Protection Act 1998, provide the full entry requested with the following redacted:-
(i) personal details, other than his/her name, relating to the member of educational staff;
(ii) explicit details relating to the member of educational staff’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious beliefs, membership of trade unions, physical or mental health or condition, sexual life, the commission or alleged commission by him of any offence, or any proceedings for any offence committed or alleged to have been committed by him, the disposal of such proceedings or the sentence of any court in such proceedings;
(iii) personal details or identifying information relating to the pupil(s) involved;
(iv) identifying information in regards to the ‘independent’ witnesses;
(c) With application to subsection (4)(b) and in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Data Protection (Appropriate Limit and Fees) Regulations of 2004 and section 14 of the Freedom of Information Act of 2000, an educational institution may refuse compliance with a request on the basis that:-
(i) the request, in terms of resources, is projected to exceed the ‘appropriate limit’ of £600;
(ii) the request is deemed as ‘vexatious’;
(iii) the request is one to which the educational institution on a prior occasion complied with under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 within a reasonable time interval;

7 - Short title and extent
(1) This Act may be cited as the Educational Indoctrination Act 2018.
(2) This Act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
(3) This Act is to come into effect on the 1st of September 2018

Notes
Spoiler:
Show

8 - Notes
The current provisions for educational indoctrination as detailed in the Terrorism Act 2000 and Sections 406 and 407 of the Education Act of 1996 are vague, and fail to include explicit procedural remediatory action as to protect the integrity of the education system and protect the most vulnerable in our society - children - from being imbued with toxic partisan principles, opinions, points of view, ideals, attitudes, cognitive strategies or professional methodologies by educational staff that have indisputable and explicit links to proscribed organisations - organisations that explicitly wish to destroy our society by removing all liberties and freedoms. This Bill removes all ambiguity.

Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A strong nay.

These ideologies should be defeated using debate and logical reasoning, the bill has many euphemisms in it that could be used as slippery slopes.

When you ban ideologies “outside the mainstream” you are only alienating the people attracted to these ideologies even more.

This isn’t 1984, we shouldn’t be telling people what they can and can’t think.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In response to the above:
:bored:

-------------------------------------------------

I will be supporting this bill.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
In response to the above:
:bored:

-------------------------------------------------

I will be supporting this bill.
A shining beacon of liberalism yet again, banning ideas that you don’t like.

Nice counter argument by the way.
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A strong aye.

A detailed Bill that supersedes the current and vague provisions for educational indoctrination as detailed in the Terrorism Act 2000 and Sections 406 and 407 of the Education Act of 1996 in including explicit procedural remediatory action as to protect the integrity of the education system and protect the most vulnerable in our society - children - from being imbued with toxic partisan principles, opinions, points of view, ideals, attitudes, cognitive strategies or professional methodologies by educational staff that have indisputable and explicit links to proscribed organisations - organisations that explicitly wish to destroy our society by removing all liberties and freedoms.

This is the crux of the Bill - this Bill does not, under any circumstance, prevent logical and reasoned debate of topics and ideologies that do not conform to party lines. Rather, this Bill prevents the ineffable indoctrination of the ideologies of ‘proscribed organisations’ - those that go agaisnt all reason - those that innately wish to destroy our freedoms and liberties.
username2718212
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A detailed bill from my right honourable friend the Education Secretary, ns_2. A strong aye.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
“where said act goes against accepted mainstream politics”
I think that line says it all. This is just an act for governments to ban political opponents.
CountBrandenburg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Aph)
“where said act goes against accepted mainstream politics”
I think that line says it all. This is just an act for governments to ban political opponents.
I do not believe that government intends to ban political opponents. Granted it could have been worded better but it’s just their way of generalising all our views, and portray the fringe and extremist ideologies as something that shouldn’t be left untouched. This probably brings up the classic argument of ‘if you want a tolerant society, must you tolerate the intolerant?’
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CountBrandenburg)
I do not believe that government intends to ban political opponents. Granted it could have been worded better but it’s just their way of generalising all our views, and portray the fringe and extremist ideologies as something that shouldn’t be left untouched. This probably brings up the classic argument of ‘if you want a tolerant society, must you tolerate the intolerant?’
Even if this is true it isn’t just what this government wants to do but also what future governments might do. And all you do is deamonise these people, children who are interested go and find the information anyway but not in a ballenced way.
username1751857
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A firm aye.
JMR2019.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No particularly strong opinions on this bill, however I will be voting aye, since I think teaching should be neutral, however extremist ideologies, which may cause harm, should not be allowed to be taught at all.
WobblyBovine
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I will happily vote aye on this bill, as you have clearly defined what is meant by both ‘accepted mainstream politics’ and ‘proscribed organisations’.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JellyMilk)
I will happily vote aye on this bill, as you have clearly defined what is meant by both ‘accepted mainstream politics’ and ‘proscribed organisations’.
But this stagnates politics. If politics can’t change from now we will never improve. For example this bill would have outlawed teachers saying that it is okay to be gay a few centuries ago. It would have seen teachers encouraging racism and just generally halts progress.

Schools are the breeding ground of new ideas and should be protected as such. There should be open and honest debate and children allowed to form their own opinions. This is an illiberal attack on the fundamental principle or education and academia.
username2080673
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Aph)
But this stagnates politics. If politics can’t change from now we will never improve. For example this bill would have outlawed teachers saying that it is okay to be gay a few centuries ago. It would have seen teachers encouraging racism and just generally halts progress.

Schools are the breeding ground of new ideas and should be protected as such. There should be open and honest debate and children allowed to form their own opinions. This is an illiberal attack on the fundamental principle or education and academia.
You raise a very good point here. I can not honestly say that I support this.
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Aph)

I feel that you have misinterpreted this Bill.

This Bill would not have outlawed the discussion of homosexuality - as, homosexuality has never constituted part of a ‘proscribed organisation’.

This Bill ONLY restricts activity in regards to proscribed organisations ie those involved with terrorism.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JMR2018)
No particularly strong opinions on this bill, however I will be voting aye, since I think teaching should be neutral, however extremist ideologies, which may cause harm, should not be allowed to be taught at all.
Glad to see that you support this bill of ours.
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Aph)
Even if this is true it isn’t just what this government wants to do but also what future governments might do. And all you do is deamonise these people, children who are interested go and find the information anyway but not in a ballenced way.
I can assure you, in my capacity as Secretary of State for Education, that this Government wishes to, above all, protect the underlying integrity of the education system and, in turn, ameliorate the security - physical and educational - of all.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A firm aye from myself. These measures that we’re taking will keep our children save from extremists trying to indoctrinate them and I congratulate my right honourable friend, ns_2 for this detailed bill.
LibertarianMP
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nay. This bill is shockingly '1984-ey'. Hell nah.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mrwb9876)
Nay. This bill is shockingly '1984-ey'. Hell nah.
Indeed. It is shocking to see the MPs of a party that calls itself “Liberal” line up in support of this disgusting measure. Ideas should never, ever be banned by the state.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.82%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.79%
I don't think they'd understand (51)
15.13%
It might lead to more bullying (128)
37.98%
There's nothing they could do (102)
30.27%

Watched Threads