The Student Room Group

Advice on Moving to the U.K

Hey everyone,
I have plans on moving to the UK in the future. Im currently in my final year at Uni and in a couple years, I plan on coming to do my post-grad degree but I also have intentions on living there...permanently.

My question is...I have been looking at some cities and areas in the UK that are promising. I think I have ruled out London because it is incredibly expensive to live there and I am now looking at other nice cities in the UK. Tbh, I am looking at cities close to London... so like Bristol, Birmingham, Brighton, etc. I am looking for areas that are affordable, safe and diverse. It'll be nice to suggest some places.

Of if you can as well. what are some really affordable places in London to live.
Original post by daniel_floyd_
Hey everyone,
I have plans on moving to the UK in the future. Im currently in my final year at Uni and in a couple years, I plan on coming to do my post-grad degree but I also have intentions on living there...permanently.

My question is...I have been looking at some cities and areas in the UK that are promising. I think I have ruled out London because it is incredibly expensive to live there and I am now looking at other nice cities in the UK. Tbh, I am looking at cities close to London... so like Bristol, Birmingham, Brighton, etc. I am looking for areas that are affordable, safe and diverse. It'll be nice to suggest some places.

Of if you can as well. what are some really affordable places in London to live.

Coventry is cheap in the centre of England and easy to get to anywhere i the country by train or car including London
Brighton is really expensive too. Look at places like Bristol as they're fairly well developed and affordable.
Reply 3
If you want somewhere close to London try Birmingham because they’re gonna make a train that goes straight from Birmingham to London in 45 mins- but because of this the rent and stuff like that is going to get expensive
Original post by zakzazzy
Brighton is really expensive too. Look at places like Bristol as they're fairly well developed and affordable.

Yeah I am looking into Bristol. And it does look really nice. I have also been looking at the University of Bristol to do my MSc as well so that would compliment it. Also I love driving and I feel like no one ever drives in London and everyone takes public transportation. I don't hate public transport but I prefer to have my own car just cause.
Original post by Iqraa77
If you want somewhere close to London try Birmingham because they’re gonna make a train that goes straight from Birmingham to London in 45 mins- but because of this the rent and stuff like that is going to get expensive

I did consider Birmingham at first tbh and I'm still looking into it. But is it true that Birmingham is run down? I've been seeing alot of people saying that the city doesn't get any investments as most if not all seems to go to London.
Bristol can be kind of cheap if you live in areas a little further out like st George hanmam Kingswood etc.

Bristol is quite diverse, but obviously not as much as London.

I would say one of the most diverse places in Bristol would have to be Easton

For driving around - it gets quite busy in the center, but driving around the there areas is fine (obviously except for when people are driving to and from work)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
I did consider Birmingham at first tbh and I'm still looking into it. But is it true that Birmingham is run down? I've been seeing alot of people saying that the city doesn't get any investments as most if not all seems to go to London.

It depends what area in Birmingham tbh, however Solihull is a really nice area, it’s not exactly in Birmingham but it’s on the outskirts, its a really nice area to live in
Reply 8
Hey everyone,

Outskirts of London are manageable in terms of pricing for homes and rent. Look there maybe?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending