lizzydavis
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I wanted to know which uni would be best to study psychology out of east London and west London uni
University of East London
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
HI Lizzy,

We're quite well known for our Psychology courses at UEL at both undergraduate and postgraduate level. We've been teaching Psychology here for over 50 years, so we have a lot of experience within in our department. Also, due to the wide range of courses on offer we have a huge range of expertise amongst our passionate staff.

Our courses are professionally accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS), and our students gave us 95% overall satisfaction on their BSc Psychology degree in the 2017 National Students Survey.

Were you thinking of BSc Psychology or a postgraduate degree? We have open days or open eves you can attend, or I can see if I can get a student available to talk to you about the course?

If not, I'm happy to answer any questions you have

Hope this helps!

Stacey
lizzydavis
Rep:
?
Thank you for getting in touch, I was thinking BSc Psychology
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No worries.

I don't know if you've had a look at our website or our BSc Psychology course page?

There's lots of information about the modules you'd study in years 1,2 and 3 and a nice quote form one of our old students, Amy.

To give you an idea about how good out Psychology department is, we're joint first in the UK for impact of research, beating Cambridge and Oxford, showing our incredible academic expertise and real-world relevance.

I've put a really short video from one of our students who studies BSc Psychology just below too, I might be able to get her to talk to you about the course if you like?

Or if you have any questions that I can help with, fire away!

Stacey

lizzydavis
Rep:
?
Thank you, I wanted to know all the possible careers available after completing the programme. And also what modules include research methodology
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A degree in psychology is a great foundation for a range of careers. Some psychology students start with a clear goal and continue on with further study to become professional psychologists.

Some of our students go on to work in a range of organisations which might include:. • schools and education providers • the National Health Service • local and national government • social services • police forces, prisons and probation services • human resources departments • advertising and media agencies • marketing departments • financial organisations • non for profit organisations.

Also the BPS have published a booklet about psychology online here, it details more careers and information about what psychology is, why we need it etc- might be a good read for you too.

Here's a note about research methods from the Head of Psychology Department:
We have 2 CORE modules on research methods- year 1 & 2 (because of BPS requirements) and we teach research methodology throughout other modules as a way of looking at how psychology can be applied / theorised / explored

Students also completed a L6 dissertation which is a year long research project

Does this help?

Stacey
lizzydavis
Rep:
?
Yes that does thank you, also could you tell me what the schedule is like. How often do student attend per week
istudypsych
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
hi I'm just about to undertake my second term here at UEL. I'm studying BSc Psych and I'm a first year so if you have any questions feel free to ask away!
lizzydavis
Rep:
?
Thank you so much, I wanted to know how the schedule is do you go in everyday or not as a full time student? How hard is the research methodology and is there anything I could do to prepare myself for the course especially the maths side of it.
istudypsych
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Okay as a full time student.

My timetable is

Wednesday
10 am to Noon. research methods lecture.
noon to 1. research methods seminar.

Thursday
10 to Noon. cognitive and developmental psych. lecture
noon to 1. seminar for above lecture ( this goes on a three week rotation)

then from 2.30 to 3.30 lecture on keystones in psych. It's a new module focusing on skills. might not be there next year but..
330 to 4. break
4- 5 roughly. seminar for the above lecture.

Friday.
10 to Noon. perspectives in psych..So social bio indivual differences
noon to 1. a seminar for the above lecture. again on a three week rotation.

So there's a lot of support avaliable to help with maths ..workshops and drop ins that are based on the
istudypsych
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
first few assignments. they teach how to do the stats rtf, and go over stuff thats taught at a level. most of the content is very similar to a level psych. So the best way to prep not just for the maths but generally is to go over the content?. also going over gcse maths and the maths found in the psych textbooks should star you off okay . But don't stress help is there if you want it.
lizzydavis
Rep:
?
Oh okay thank you for the information so you attend you 3 days a week, I studied Health and Social Care at college so this area of psychology will be quite new to me but it’s good to know help is available
istudypsych
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
there's an overlap between them so I'm sure you'll be fine..Good luck
lizzydavis
Rep:
?
Thank you for the information you’ve given me I look forward to starting the program
BethanKG
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi Lizzie

I don't know if you have made a decision or not but I am a previous psychology student of UWL and am currently back here working! I absolutely loved the Psychology course while i was here, and above everything else the teaching was brilliant. Whenever I had a question, or didn't understand, I know that I could approach any lecturer with my concerns and they wouldn't be satisfied until i had fully understood. I felt supported in my studies for the whole three years - and that's why I'm still here!

(As far as I remember) First and second year you are in for about 3 days a week. This can vary with some being full days and some being half days. In the third year you have more time for independent working and may only be in 3 half days a week.

I arrived at the university after 5 years out of education, and was daunted by research methods and maths! But the teaching was excellent so it was easy grasp, and if anything was too confusing I would go to the lecturer and ask about it. They always managed to help me out and are easy to talk to.

UWL is known as the carer university and has a fantastic careers team (that you get to use for the rest of your life if you're a student! You can come back whenever for some expert advice). Also as part of your third year you'll get to do an EPP module (Experiencing Psychology in Practice). This is really great experience and will be certainly help with getting a career with all those newly learned skills. This can also be influential into understanding what career you want!

Well that's enough of me rambling on. Hope I've given you an insight into UWL and any questions, just ask! (Always happy to help )

Hopefully see you soon!

Bethan
jb2504
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi Bethan,

I'm also looking to apply at UWL for Psychology and I was wondering if you had to do an interview for it? It says on UCAS that we do but the website didn't mention anything about that. If you did have one, could you tell me what it was like please? Interviews make me so nervous...

JB

(Original post by BethanKG)Hi Lizzie

I don't know if you have made a decision or not but I am a previous psychology student of UWL and am currently back here working! I absolutely loved the Psychology course while i was here, and above everything else the teaching was brilliant. Whenever I had a question, or didn't understand, I know that I could approach any lecturer with my concerns and they wouldn't be satisfied until i had fully understood. I felt supported in my studies for the whole three years - and that's why I'm still here!

(As far as I remember) First and second year you are in for about 3 days a week. This can vary with some being full days and some being half days. In the third year you have more time for independent working and may only be in 3 half days a week.

I arrived at the university after 5 years out of education, and was daunted by research methods and maths! But the teaching was excellent so it was easy grasp, and if anything was too confusing I would go to the lecturer and ask about it. They always managed to help me out and are easy to talk to.

UWL is known as the carer university and has a fantastic careers team (that you get to use for the rest of your life if you're a student! You can come back whenever for some expert advice). Also as part of your third year you'll get to do an EPP module (Experiencing Psychology in Practice). This is really great experience and will be certainly help with getting a career with all those newly learned skills. This can also be influential into understanding what career you want!

Well that's enough of me rambling on. Hope I've given you an insight into UWL and any questions, just ask! (Always happy to help )

Hopefully see you soon!

Bethan
UniversityofWestLondon
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jb2504)
Hi Bethan,

I'm also looking to apply at UWL for Psychology and I was wondering if you had to do an interview for it? It says on UCAS that we do but the website didn't mention anything about that. If you did have one, could you tell me what it was like please? Interviews make me so nervous...

JB

(Original post by BethanKG)Hi Lizzie

Hopefully see you soon!

Bethan
Hi JB

You do not need to do an interview for psychology at UWL, unless you do not meet the entry criteria. Our next open day is on the 30 March if you would like to come along and talk to the lecturers and meet some of our current students.

Otherwise our course enquiries team would be happy to help with any questions you may have on the application. You can call them on 0800 036 8888.

Let me know if you have any further queries.

Thanks
Andrea
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.35%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (65)
30.23%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
11.63%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.37%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.58%
I think it's an unfair expectation (59)
27.44%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.4%

Watched Threads