TSR Book Club: Animal Farm

Watch
Poll: What book would you like to read for the fourth session?
The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky (7)
50%
Lord of the Flies - William Golding (4)
28.57%
The Great Gatsby Novel - F. Scott Fitzgerald (3)
21.43%
Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (0)
0%
Other (please specify) (0)
0%
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Morning all, and welcome to the third session of the TSR Book Club!

This time around, we're reading Animal Farm by George Orwell. There's also a poll in this thread to decide the book for us to read next time so please vote in that, or suggest a different book if you'd like! For this session you have two weeks to read the book and reply with your thoughts.

If you're including spoilers in your review, then please put them in - you guessed it - a spoiler. Please try and get your replies in before the 20/01/18 so we have time to chat about the current book before the next session starts.

You can feedback on each book however you'd like, but here are some starter questions if you're stuck:

- What did you think of the book overall?
- What did you like about it?
- What did you dislike about it?
- Did it remind you of another author or series?
- Would you recommend it to a friend?

The one thing I'm asking everyone to do is to rate the book out of 5, with half points if needed. Please do include a rating, so each book can be given an average rating, and we can get a Book Club Leaderboard going.

If you have any questions, book suggestions, or just fancy chatting about this, then feel free to tag me in and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. We'll also be running the occasional themed week, so if you have an idea for that then post in any of the Book Club threads, or drop me a PM if you'd prefer!

Quote List

(Original post by 2hoursadayBOI)
x
(Original post by the bear)
x
(Original post by 2hoursadayBOI)
x
(Original post by Ghyghy)
x
(Original post by VerAl1504)
x
(Original post by VaticanCameos)
x
(Original post by Chronoscope)
x
(Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
x
(Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
x
(Original post by 04MR17)
x
(Original post by Michiyo)
x
(Original post by CompSci2018)
x
(Original post by shameful_burrito)
x
(Original post by klw18)
x
(Original post by ILuvFood1234)
x
(Original post by Ensorcell)
x
(Original post by JMR2017)
x
(Original post by xHannahhx)
x
(Original post by starfab)
x
(Original post by nyxnko_)
x
(Original post by ummarahman)
x
nyxnko_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've already read this so will get round to posting the review some time this week
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
(Original post by nyxnko_)
I've already read this so will get round to posting the review some time this week
Too ninja for us! Amazing stuff, thank you
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
:ninja: PRSOM
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yay another one I've read. Look8ng forward to giving it a review (this might get political:hide:)
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
Yay another one I've read. Look8ng forward to giving it a review (this might get political:hide:)
You may need to input on the next book to try and find one you haven't read then
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by shadowdweller)
You may need to input on the next book to try and find one you haven't read then
No because that means I'll have to read something and I currently have a phobia of reading thanks to uni.:afraid:
CheeseIsVeg
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Will have to pass on this book Shadow - exams
But if we do read perks of being a wallflower, I am halfway through it (but in french) so this can encourage me to finish it :ahee:
sinfonietta
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I didn't know this was a thing! :shock:

This book is actually on my to-read list so I'd like to join in please!
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
(Original post by sinfonietta)
I didn't know this was a thing! :shock:

This book is actually on my to-read list so I'd like to join in please!
Will add you to the quote list now! :woo:
sinfonietta
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Will add you to the quote list now! :woo:
Thank you!

Time to go download this to my Kindle. Only £2.39 for anyone wondering!
Michiyo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I read Animal Farm on the 11th.

I did not like it at all. I will give it a rating of 2/5, having deducted 3 points for the lack of enjoyment.

No, it was not a bad book by any means. I liked the subtle references to communist leaders and such. It was quite a clever book as well. However, when I read a book, whether I enjoy reading it or not is often more important of a factor to me than whether it sends a message or not. I understood the message and the book infuriated me (which is most likely the feeling George Orwell meant to instigate), but I could not help disliking this book due to the pigs. :erm:

I would not recommend it, purely because I like to read for entertainment and enjoyment and I found no such thing in Animal Farm.
exopolitics
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I love George Orwell! May I join in?
math42
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's an allegorical novella about Stalinism by George Orwell and, spoiler alert, it sucks.
sinfonietta
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by math42)
It's an allegorical novella about Stalinism by George Orwell and, spoiler alert, it sucks.
:eek:

I loved it! Finished it on the 9th and keep meaning to write down my thoughts on it.
math42
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sinfonietta)
:eek:

I loved it! Finished it on the 9th and keep meaning to write down my thoughts on it.
I also liked it.
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
x
Is that not a much too great effort just to talk about a book? I just know the storyline, so I guess I am not be made for a discussion? will vote for the great Gatsby. The only book I have read from the named above.
Michiyo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
Is that not a much too great effort just to talk about a book? I just know the storyline, so I guess I am not be made for a discussion? will vote for the great Gatsby. The only book I have read from the named above.
Interesting choice :gah: I myself voted for The Perks of Being a Wallflower purely because I have already read The Great Gatsby and Lord of the Flies while Me Before You did not really sound like something I would be interested in. :lol:
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Michiyo)
Interesting choice :gah: I myself voted for The Perks of Being a Wallflower purely because I have already read The Great Gatsby and Lord of the Flies while Me Before You did not really sound like something I would be interested in. :lol:
Just see other suggestions by voting others would also be possible. Now it is too late, as I have choosen. Do you think The catcher in the Rye is a good alternative? That is my second choice.
monkeyman0121
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It was alright but I am glad I don't have to write about it again.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (57)
28.79%
No (141)
71.21%

Watched Threads