Do you have a gambling problem?

Watch
Poll: Are you worried that you, or someone you know, might have a gambling problem?
Yes (138)
12.44%
No (971)
87.56%
discobish
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
More stories are coming to light in the news about just how many young people are becoming regular gamblers. Shockingly, it's thought around one in six children aged 16 and under have gambled in the last week.

Are you, or have you ever been, a regular gambler?

Have you ever lost a substantial sum of money (over £500) due to gambling?

Do you feel like you are being targeted by gambling companies?

Are you aware of services that could help if you or someone you know has a gambling problem?

If you'd be interested in raising awareness about the potential problems with gambling based on your own experiences, please send me a PM.

If you are concerned about your gambling, you can call the Gambling Helpline on 0808 8020 133, 8am to midnight, seven days a week. Alternatively, visit 'Be Gamble Aware' for more information.
SocialStudiesETC
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What defines as a gambling problem? I bet a lot, but it's not a problem. I enjoy it and its a fun way to follow sport, me and some of my friends do it. I have stopped for a long time before, and its picked up again due to the festive season but tones down during term time due to school.
PrettymuchGod
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'll bet you £500 I don't
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by XOR_)
I'll bet you £500 I don't
XOR pls :emo:
PrettymuchGod
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
XOR pls :emo:
:hugs: it's okay cheese.

I bet you £600 OP won't take that bet.

Serious answer: nope
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by XOR_)
:hugs: it's okay cheese.

I bet you £600 OP won't take that bet.

Serious answer: nope
XOR no :cry: I can't bear to see u waste that good money on betting when u could've been buying me pizza :emo:

:hugs:
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SocialStudiesETC)
What defines as a gambling problem? I bet a lot, but it's not a problem. I enjoy it and its a fun way to follow sport, me and some of my friends do it. I have stopped for a long time before, and its picked up again due to the festive season but tones down during term time due to school.
I'd say it's when you consistently gamble beyond your means, and/or compulsively feel like you "have to" bet on stuff.
epicflyingcat
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I won around a grand on Wimbledon last year betting on Federer and around £500 on the election.

Thought woo, I'm so good at this. Bet on Federer again in the US open last year and lost £3,500. I still haven't told anyone.

Never again... it's stressful and addictive.
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have lost around £1,000 in a week before back when I first got student loans and played blackjack these days I’m a lot more sensible and won £900 the other week, I started regularly when I was about 13
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you are spending too much time or money gambling that would be a problem or if it’s causing problems in your life
Ezisola
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by joecphillips)
If you are spending too much time or money gambling that would be a problem or if it’s causing problems in your life
How much I spent 'too much' though? I spend most evenings and weekends doing at least some gambling.
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ezisola)
How much I spent 'too much' though? I spend most evenings and weekends doing at least some gambling.
That would depend on the individual
m005eman
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by discobish)
More stories are coming to light in the news about just how many young people are becoming regular gamblers. Shockingly, it's thought around one in six children aged 16 and under have gambled in the last week.

Are you, or have you ever been, a regular gambler?

Have you ever lost a substantial sum of money (over £500) due to gambling?

Do you feel like you are being targeted by gambling companies?

Are you aware of services that could help if you or someone you know has a gambling problem?

If you'd be interested in raising awareness about the potential problems with gambling based on your own experiences, please send me a PM.

If you are concerned about your gambling, you can call the Gambling Helpline on 0808 8020 133, 8am to midnight, seven days a week. Alternatively, visit 'Be Gamble Aware' for more information.
Is this whole gambling thing linked to whats being said about certain games with loot boxes?
math42
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I mean, I've lost some money playing poker, a few hundred negative overall probably. But in response to that I've basically stopped playing poker for the time being, so I dunno if it's fair to say I have a problem. Certainly I have difficulty walking away until my money is gone though, which I have tempered by not bringing that much money at any one time.
asymmetric
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well- Personally with the rise of gambling in video games, I feel like a lot of my peers have this problem where they'll spend loads of money on in game loot, for example FIFA or Call of Duty.
Even I do this- at a much lower level- on games like Overwatch, and it's starting to become a problem with some people around me.
awkwardshortguy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I haven't gambled so much as a penny in years, and when I did it was my parent's money they give me specifically to spend on games of chance. And when I refer to gambling I do not engage in I include the purchase of lootboxes and keys for them, even though I play games that contain them enough.
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I go into bookie shops pretty often and some of the people in there clearly have a gambling problem. The ones doing £50 spins on Roulette are either money laundering or addicted.
username3118454
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Games against the house (e.g. blackjack, roullette) are wired to give the house the edge. In the long run - the house always wins.

Basically, don't gamble if you hate losing money. A small £5 bet could lead to losses of thousands, tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands!
username3118454
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sounds fine to me. It's a problem if you find yourself chasing losses.
SocialStudiesETC
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by angelike1)
Sounds fine to me. It's a problem if you find yourself chasing losses.
Nah had a dog **** day today and I'm stopping for a few days.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (59)
37.34%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (16)
10.13%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (8)
5.06%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (37)
23.42%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (24)
15.19%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (14)
8.86%

Watched Threads