The Student Room Group

How to become a Flight Attendant?

i want to be a flight attendent when im older, so when i go college, what course should i take?

Scroll to see replies

Do the degree that you are interested in. You don’t need a specific course to become a flight attendant.
Reply 2
but ive read online and they said i got to do travel and toursim in college. thats what i would do then.
Reply 3
Original post by Dejante
i want to be a flight attendent when im older, so when i go college, what course should i take?

Have a look at the info provided on the Prospects site:
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/air-cabin-crew

e.g.
"A degree or HND/foundation degree or postgraduate qualification is not required for entry into work as a cabin crew member. Instead, most airlines require a good secondary education, with some requiring grade C or above in English and maths."
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
so what course do i take in college then?
Reply 5
Original post by Dejante
so what course do i take in college then?

Did you read the info in the link?
Reply 6
yeah i did, it told me basic things that i know already. its not really helping me.
Reply 7
Original post by Dejante
yeah i did, it told me basic things that i know already. its not really helping me.

Basically it's saying it doesn't matter - so you can do a course that interests you. If that's Travel & Tourism then great.

And I've moved this thread from Chat to the Other career sectors forum and changed the thread title for clarity :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by elisabeth1
Do the degree that you are interested in. You don’t need a specific course to become a flight attendant.

You dont need a degree to become a flight attendant, please actually make sure what you are saying is correct before giving advice
Original post by madmadmax321
You dont need a degree to become a flight attendant, please actually make sure what you are saying is correct before giving advice

I’m a flight attendant myself 😂 You probably misunderstood what I meant. I am telling her that you don’t need anything specific to become a flight attendant. Just recommending her to do the degree she is interested in. Most likely she is not going to be a flight attendant forever so doing a degree would be useful.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by elisabeth1
I’m a flight attendant myself 😂 You probably misunderstood what I meant. I am telling her that you don’t need anything specific to become a flight attendant. Just recommending her to do the degree she is interested in. Most likely she is not going to be a flight attendant forever so doing a degree would be useful.

May I ask what they look for when becoming a flight attendant and what the process involves and whether it is competitive? Also, do ou have to be able to swim well?

Thanks
Reply 11
Original post by iodo345
May I ask what they look for when becoming a flight attendant and what the process involves and whether it is competitive? Also, do ou have to be able to swim well?

Thanks

You might be interested in this...
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5129154
I’m a flight attendant AMA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iodo345

Thanks

Hi, I created a thread for this. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5129154
As others have said there aren't any specific academic requirements in order to become a flight attendant, as long you have Grades 9-4 in your GCSEs. However, you now have to leave education at the age of 16. So I'd say appropriate course to do would be a BTEC Diploma in Air Cabin Crew, Travel and Tourism Applied A Level or BTEC Diploma and a modern foreign language.
(edited 6 years ago)
You don't need to have any qualifications to become a flight attendant. You only need a High School Diploma or equivalent ( GED ) Though some airlines may prefer that you have been in college or university,but that varies,depending which airlines you want to start with. If you live within the UK I will be able to name you a few airlines that are suitable for beginners. I am 14 but I did a big google search as I want to be a flight attendant as soon as I am 18.Though I will have to take swimming lessons as that is part of becoming a flight attendant. :smile:) I also would suggest contacting an airline to find out more! :]
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by username2538449

Are you not scared of the plane crashing? I’ve always wanted to do this but always scared this would happen
Reply 16
Original post by Beth286
Are you not scared of the plane crashing? I’ve always wanted to do this but always scared this would happen

Flying is safe. Approx 1 flight in 3 million leads to a fatality. Assuming attendants fly 4 times per day (probably less) and 5 days per week, and 40 weeks per year, you would need to be flying for nearly 2,000 years to have a 50% chance of being in a fatal plane crash.

Being in a car is at least 3x more dangerous (per journey)
Thank you.This is very helpful! :aetsch::hump:
What can I do to stand out from all the competition?

Do I need to know how to swim?
Swimming skills. Flight attendants for different airlines must be able to swim at least around 20 metres (ie Ryanair). EasyJet's cabin crew must be able to swim 25 metres without any assistance and tread water for at least a minute

Quick Reply

Latest