Meat-eaters: do you have morality issues with meat?

Watch this thread
Hazard28
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Can any meat-eater watch this video without feeling any guilt? I am trying to become a vegetarian and have drastically cut down the amount of meat I eat. But I still feel there needs to be a big change in people's attitude towards the meat industry to make a global impact.

The meat industry is the the number one cause for global warming and water consumption in the world.

Rek'Sa
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
I am personally amoral. It is also contradictory to live in a developed world and eat meat, while claiming to adhere to any robust ethical system.
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I feel no guilt, those chickens were raised to be food. they are serving their purpose
qasim-96
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
No.
username2981082
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Here we go again...
Hazard28
Rep:
(Original post by AperfectBalance)
I feel no guilt, those chickens were raised to be food. they are serving their purpose
What about the impact on the environment? The meat industry is the main cause of global warming today, even more than pollution.
UWS
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Nah, it's never bothered me and it won't.
LibertarianMP
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
It's easier to just ignore that kinda stuff.
SMEGGGY
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I eat meat say a couple of times a week.
donut_mckenzie28
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
username3489684
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
i very recently realised how it is unethical to meat and i do feel guilty, but i also know im not ready to make transition as it would be very difficult.
s.a.u
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I don’t understand why vegans and vegetarians think this. No. Show me as many videos of animals being slaughtered as you like. I just like meat.
303Pharma
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I went vegetarian in my late teens, went on to go fully vegan in my early 20's. I'm carnivorous now, and have been for a long time. But I do have respect for anyone giving up meat for ethical reasons.

Not going to click on the link, seen plenty of it's ilk in my time. Nature isn't fluffy. The true face of nature, is glimpsed, in the terrified, panicked eyes of the weakest, slowest gazelle. As the lioness rips its throat out, in order to feed her starving cubs.

EVERYTHING is food for someone.
Rek'Sa
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Unless you are claiming to be amoral, that is quite a problematic thought. What if a human was raised to be a slave, would that justify slavery? It is quite difficult to draw a clear line between humans and animals, given current scientific knowledge. This is my problem with most meat-eaters, who, unlike me, lay claim to any kind of morality. If they want to eat meat, then they must also accept its ethical extrapolation.
applesforme
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Same as you, I am trying to cut down and maybe might be able to get to a near vegetarianism. What sort of thing do you have for dinner? and if you still eat fish and eggs are you thinking of changing that too? and going vegan? just wondering. you could pm me if you wanted.
AperfectBalance
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rek'Sa)
Unless you are claiming to be amoral, that is quite a problematic thought. What if a human was raised to be a slave, would that justify slavery? It is quite difficult to draw a clear line between humans and animals, given current scientific knowledge. This is my problem with most meat-eaters, who, unlike me, lay claim to any kind of morality. If they want to eat meat, then they must also accept its ethical extrapolation.
Human slavery is wrong, Humans are on a totally different tier compared to chickens/Animals
Hazard28
Rep:
(Original post by applesforme)
Same as you, I am trying to cut down and maybe might be able to get to a near vegetarianism. What sort of thing do you have for dinner? and if you still eat fish and eggs are you thinking of changing that too? and going vegan? just wondering. you could pm me if you wanted.
I just eat more vegetables and put them in curries and stews in place of meat for my dinner. I love nuts so I tend to snack on these a lot, and eat more legumes like chickpeas and lentils to get my protein in. Vegetarian food is actually really delicious when you make it right. It's healthier and you feel a lot better.

Even though fish is sold to us as the healthy option, especially oily fish like salmon which has the good omega fatty acids, the fish populations in the oceans are under massive attack so i try and avoid fish. Eggs are indirectly part of the meat industry but I am a practical person and obviously most pastries, cakes etc have some egg in it. Same with milk, a lot of food already has milk in. So i don't think I can be vegan straight away as it's too drastic a change, but vegetarian is my first goal.
Rek'Sa
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Human slavery is wrong, Humans are on a totally different tier compared to chickens/Animals
Does that superiority have a justifiable, rational basis? If so, on what ground?
username1044970
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Yes, I’m a meat-eater but I cannot possibly justify that on moral grounds. Ideally I’d like to give up meat at some point in the future (especially when cultured meat becomes a viable option), but for now I’ll continue to consume meat for health reasons.
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 303Pharma)
I went vegetarian in my late teens, went on to go fully vegan in my early 20's. I'm carnivorous now, and have been for a long time. But I do have respect for anyone giving up meat for ethical reasons.

Not going to click on the link, seen plenty of it's ilk in my time. Nature isn't fluffy. The true face of nature, is glimpsed, in the terrified, panicked eyes of the weakest, slowest gazelle. As the lioness rips its throat out, in order to feed her starving cubs.

EVERYTHING is food for someone.
The way we raise, cage, and slaughter farm animals is anything but natural, and if it were, are we really going to start taking moral cues from lions? Can't we hold ourselves to higher standards than that?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (229)
42.1%
The paper was reasonable (231)
42.46%
Not feeling great about that exam... (50)
9.19%
It was TERRIBLE (34)
6.25%

Watched Threads