The Student Room Group

How can God die?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by assassinbunny123
can someone explain to me why Jesus died for our sins. Did he die for the sins of the people in the roman ERA or just died for the sins of the entire human race. If he died cause of the first reason then thats pretty arrogant of him, i mean what about us then huh where is your love and compassion now? furthermore if he died for the entire human race pre and post the roman era then i think its safe to say Christians can do whatever the **** they want, go forth and rape every single women you desire cuz you wont be punished for it, go murder anyone you want, go steal, lie, etc.... you'll enter heaven anyway, why waste your time here when you can just commit suicide and go straight to heaven where you have now limits whats so ever. The only person being punished is Jesus the person who God purposely created to deal with our sins. God is something that can do whatever it wants when ever it wants, yes he is described as merciful but only if you're sincere enough and even then it can decide to forgive or punish you.

Jesus died for everyone's sins. The bible says 'For God so loved the world THAT HE GAVE His only begotten son that WHOSOEVER believes in Him shall have everlasting life.

Before Jesus, people atoned for their sins (and wrong doing) by offering God sacrifices. It sounds very odd to us in the here and now but that's how it was. Jesus ended the need for that.

As a Christian your life is meant to be reflecting Jesus and living by His example. Jesus never murdered anyone,never caused wars, wasn't a war lord, he was against violence and His COMMANDMENT was to love God and love one another. To be kind and to do good.

In the bible there are numerous incidents of violence and we understand through these stories, such as Noah's ark and Sodom and Gomorrah that the reason God destroyed the inhabitants was because of their excessive violence, child sacrifices and idol worship. Do you honestly think this is how Christians would behave? They are humans, loved by God (as you are by the way), not animals.

Suicide is not in God's plan for our lives. God is the giver of life, and God is the taker of life. God says he plans to give us plans for a good life and hope for the future. It is the devil who comes to kill, steal (and steal our peace of mind) and destroy.

You need to look at the source and there flows the life style and life example.
Original post by Racoon
Jesus died for everyone's sins. The bible says 'For God so loved the world THAT HE GAVE His only begotten son that WHOSOEVER believes in Him shall have everlasting life.

Before Jesus, people atoned for their sins (and wrong doing) by offering God sacrifices. It sounds very odd to us in the here and now but that's how it was. Jesus ended the need for that.

Gospel of john chapter 3 verse 16 the word begotten has been taken out of it because the word is a fabrication, so you cannot call him the begotten son of god. The Bible calls everyone son of god simply because it describes a righteous person, who ever worships god in the right path is considered a son of god in according to the bible.

Another thing is that if Jesus died for our sins how come every child in Christianity considered to be born with sin? God never said that jesus died for your sins, it was in fact it is paul who ASSUMED that he died for our sins. The verse you stated could imply a sacrifice but it does NOT show that the sacrifice is used to redeem your sins.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by assassinbunny123
Gospel of john chapter 3 verse 16 the word begotten has been taken out of it because the word is a fabrication, so you cannot call him the begotten son of god. The Bible calls everyone son of god simply because it describes a righteous person, who ever worships god in the right path is considered a son of god in according to the bible.

Another thing is that if Jesus died for our sins how come every child in Christianity considered to be born with sin? God never said that jesus died for your sins, it was in fact it is paul who ASSUMED that he died for our sins. The verse you stated could imply a sacrifice but it does NOT show that the sacrifice is used to redeem your sins.

No it hasn't, otherwise how would you know the word begotten is there?
Debate is not allowed in this forum - it's purely an echo chamber for those that cannot take criticism of their beliefs. If you actually want a discussion, you'll have to post elsewhere.

Original post by Racoon
Here is a great 10 minute explanation.

Any explanation predicated on the existance of the supernatural is worthless.
Original post by RogerOxon
Debate is not allowed in this forum - it's purely an echo chamber for those that cannot take criticism of their beliefs. If you actually want a discussion, you'll have to post elsewhere.

Any explanation predicated on the existance of the supernatural is worthless.

So what do you want? To debate the supernatural? Or not?
Because Christians have been changing the Bible for centuries hence corrupting it. The new international version https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John 3:16 does not have the word begotten in it, and many other versions. However the King james Version does as well as others.
Original post by Drummond
So what do you want? To debate the supernatural? Or not?

Debating anyhing is not permitted in this forum. Please post elsewhere if you want posts that might provoke disussion and thought.
In Islam an attribute of God is that he is Eternal. Hence cannot "die".
a god cannot die he'd have invented the concept of death it self. he made heaven and hell and made a currency called "sin"
he has not to die to save anyone.
saying a god could die is like saying you could divide by 0… doesn't make sense
(edited 6 years ago)
God only exists in the mind of believers.

When humanity becomes extinct, their imaginary God ceases to exist.
1) He eats poisoned pasta source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Second_Coming_(TV_serial) or 2) I don't believe they exist
I don't follow any particular religion, but I'll go by the all-powerful assumptions of what most book-based religions teach:

- What we perceive about God or gods, is false or warped; Glorified to make the said entity bigger and better than he/she/it is. This still happens in this day and age.

- God only exists during life not death. Therefore, when you die, so does your god. Granted that doesn't imply absolute death but more in the sense of when you die, time stops because time is a constant in life (excluding universal masses that may warp space-time). Just replace time with God and presto.

- Omniscient/Omnipotent could be interpreted in the way that he/she/it is to us. I.e. Humans can never or will never be able to kill a divinity, nonetheless, when you have absolute power, you must also have the ability to destroy yourself or an equally divine power.

- Lastly, perhaps more far fetched: "Let's kill love." - Something impossible, or near-impossible. Concepts, ideals, legends etc. may exist only when acknowledged. That doesn't mean that they must be believed in, as rejection of them equally validates them. So maybe when the ideal is lost to time, which may never happen for humanity but is theoretically possible though the chance is minuscule, then god(s) die. In this case, humanity can kill a god.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TheRuralJuror

saying a god could die is like saying you could divide by 0… doesn't make sense

As x0, 1xx \Rightarrow \textrm{0,} \ \frac{1}{x} \Rightarrow \infty

ergo God is illogical.
Original post by uberteknik
As x0, 1xx \Rightarrow \textrm{0,} \ \frac{1}{x} \Rightarrow \infty

ergo God is illogical.

I'm on my phone I see gibberish, so your statement makes no sense to me sadly
a Gods power is mostly based on the number and willingness of its believers, many gods have died from unnamed tribes to dead civilizations
The Norse believed their gods could die if they didn't eat the apples from the World Tree.
Original post by FailedMyMocks
In Islam an attribute of God is that he is Eternal. Hence cannot "die".

Are you a Muslim?
Original post by Drummond
Are you a Muslim?

I am indeed.
And before god died, god (jesus) also became an atheist..."oh holy father hast thou forsaken me?" jesus asks when on the cross. Jesus felt what it's like to ask for help and get nothing back from the universe, i.e. he felt atheism.
Those who ask that, thinking it somehow refutes Christianity are pretty silly as the statement can be easily debunked in a few words:

God didn’t die. His spirit used the physical body of a human to live on Earth and upon the crucifixion it was the biological vessel that died, not God itself. God/God’s spirit exited the physical body. Simple.

Quick Reply