Will my insurance go up? Watch

cxrwl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m looking for a new car as my one got written off after being involved in a crash. I have an insurance policy that was completely paid for upfront so payments aren’t monthly. The car I had was a 1.3 diesel Corsa and I’m now looking at a 1.4 petrol Corsa, both 08 plates. My mum thinks the 1.4 petrol will be way too expensive but I don’t know do you think it will significantly increase my insurance. I will obviously have to phone my insurance and discuss this with them but just wondering what you guys think? Thanks.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Rock Fan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cxrwl)
I’m looking for a new car as my one got written off after being involved in a crash. I have an insurance policy that was completely paid for upfront so payments aren’t monthly. The car I had was a 1.3 diesel Corsa and I’m now looking at a 1.4 petrol Corsa, both 08 plates. My mum thinks the 1.4 petrol will be way too expensive but I don’t know do you think it will significantly increase my insurance. I will obviously have to phone my insurance and discuss this with them but just wondering what you guys think? Thanks.
I do believe your insurance will rise.
natninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Rock Fan)
I do believe your insurance will rise.
(Original post by cxrwl)
Probably significantly.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cxrwl)
Petrol cars are considered "sportier" so usually always have a higher premium than a diesel alternative, especially in a Corsa.
nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aye it will, best thing to do is get quotes before committing to any viewings.
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cxrwl)
It really depends whether the accident was your fault or not. (5 door Corsa's are a cheaper to insure than 3 door, just a tip).
nevershear
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
It really depends whether the accident was your fault or not. (5 door Corsa's are a cheaper to insure than 3 door, just a tip).
Thought insurers generally didn't care - an accident is an accident. Idk though.
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nevershear)
Thought insurers generally didn't care - an accident is an accident. Idk though.
Most insurers do act upon if the accident was your fault or not. I declared a crash I was involved in, and also declared the fact that it wasn't my fault, and my insurance premium didn't go up a penny.
nevershear
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Most insurers do act upon if the accident was your fault or not. I declared a crash I was involved in, and also declared the fact that it wasn't my fault, and my insurance premium didn't go up a penny.
Was this on a renewal though, or moving to a new policy?
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nevershear)
Was this on a renewal though, or moving to a new policy?
Renewal
cxrwl
Rep:
?
Thanks everyone! Think I won’t bother looking at anything bigger than a 1.2 petrol then.
cxrwl
Rep:
?
Accident was deemed my fault as I hit a dark grey car in the dark that was driving without lights on. Came out of a junction and just couldn’t see them at all but since it’s my word against hers the blame is completely on me. I’ve still got 10 months of insurance left but it’s suspended until I find another car. I know they can increase my insurance if I get a more expensive car, but not if I get a cheaper one just cause I’ve crashed it now right? Obviously they will on renewal but not on the existing policy?
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cxrwl)
Accident was deemed my fault as I hit a dark grey car in the dark that was driving without lights on.
How was it your fault, if they were driving without their lights on in the dark? :confused:
cxrwl
Rep:
?
How was it your fault, if they were driving without their lights on in the dark? :confused:
My word against hers, couldn’t prove she didn’t have lights on as there weren’t any witnesses. Quite annoying because the car behind me went as well so must not have seen her either but instead of stopping he just struggled to manoeuvre past us right after the crash (there happened to be a pedestrian pillar crossing thing on the road so gap between that and my car was very small)
nutz99
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cxrwl)
My word against hers, couldn’t prove she didn’t have lights on as there weren’t any witnesses. Quite annoying because the car behind me went as well so must not have seen her either but instead of stopping he just struggled to manoeuvre past us right after the crash (there happened to be a pedestrian pillar crossing thing on the road so gap between that and my car was very small)
I would have probably phoned the police. Did she switch her lights on after the crash?

Next car make sure you fit a dash cam. Good investment for any young driver.
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cxrwl)
That's so annoying! And being a young/new driver doesn't help I guess, they automatically point the finger at yourself... :/

Were there no CCTV cameras around the area which could've proved?

I guess this is the reason why all drivers should have a dash-cam. :yep:
Cleverboy1991
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
buy a diesel Vectra facelift model, great cars though clutches are common to wear out and flywheel and cambelts + water pumps are recommended to be replaced every 40 k due to bad water pump design but apart from that they are great no fuel, spacious, comfortable and look good, plus quite inexpensive for a decent one
Cleverboy1991
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TheJohnM)
When your watching inappropriate videos does a certain body part rise? That's your answer.
what a ****ing stupid thing to say, retarded as ****
cxrwl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cleverboy1991)
buy a diesel Vectra facelift model, great cars though clutches are common to wear out and flywheel and cambelts + water pumps are recommended to be replaced every 40 k due to bad water pump design but apart from that they are great no fuel, spacious, comfortable and look good, plus quite inexpensive for a decent one
Thanks for that. I’m going to view a 2003 1.2 petrol Polo tomorrow which is nice and cheap. I’ve decided that rather than getting a decent looking new model car I’m just going to get a cheap runabout that will last me until September (hopefully) as I’ll be going to uni anyway and I’ve already lost so much money after the crash.
cxrwl
Rep:
?
That's so annoying! And being a young/new driver doesn't help I guess, they automatically point the finger at yourself... :/

Were there no CCTV cameras around the area which could've proved?

I guess this is the reason why all drivers should have a dash-cam. :yep:
Yeah, it literally happened 6 days after getting my first car😩

There wasn’t CCTV no, although the insurance have said that it probably wouldn’t have made a huge difference as I’d still be held partially liable by the insurance because I still crashed into her. I’m definitely getting a dash cam in my new car though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.61%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.93%
No I am happy with my course choice (489)
58.99%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.48%

Watched Threads