The Student Room Group

GCSE language paper - creative writing HELP

I know that you get the choice between a descriptive and narrative story at the end of the English language paper. I’m ok with what to do for a creative story but I’m not sure what to include in a descriptive one. I know that you need to include the senses but I’m not sure about whether development of characters is important or whether there needs to be a clear beginning , middle and end (Frey
tags pyramid ). I would really appreciate it if someone could just clarify exactly what the difference is.
just write a story but don't add charcters
Original post by 24ioan
I know that you get the choice between a descriptive and narrative story at the end of the English language paper. I’m ok with what to do for a creative story but I’m not sure what to include in a descriptive one. I know that you need to include the senses but I’m not sure about whether development of characters is important or whether there needs to be a clear beginning , middle and end (Frey
tags pyramid ). I would really appreciate it if someone could just clarify exactly what the difference is.

You can include characters if you like, but you don't have it. But having a character does give you something extra to describe. You probably don't need a specific beginning, middle and end, but your piece does need to come to a logical conclusion at the end.
Reply 3
Original post by girl_in_black
You can include characters if you like, but you don't have it. But having a character does give you something extra to describe. You probably don't need a specific beginning, middle and end, but your piece does need to come to a logical conclusion at the end.

Thanks , I appreciate it
Original post by 24ioan

from what I've learnt, for descriptive writing it's best to include MAPSO - metaphor, alliteration, personification, similie, onomatopeoia. And then the five senses - touch, sight, hearing, smell and taste(as you said).

usually they just ask stuff like "describe a journey you go on every day" and it's fairly simple. i dont think you need to have chararacters in it or anything?

we might be doing different exam boards though, this is just whati've learnt. hope this helps and good luck.
Reply 5
Original post by yayaya2000
from what I've learnt, for descriptive writing it's best to include MAPSO - metaphor, alliteration, personification, similie, onomatopeoia. And then the five senses - touch, sight, hearing, smell and taste(as you said).

usually they just ask stuff like "describe a journey you go on every day" and it's fairly simple. i dont think you need to have chararacters in it or anything?

we might be doing different exam boards though, this is just whati've learnt. hope this helps and good luck.

Thank you! Good luck too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending