Original post by RDKGames

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by BobbJo

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I have to apologise for something, I was so tired yesterday I didn't spot a much cleaner way of tackling my own extension question 2 that I should have told you about.

Spoiler

Original post by I hate maths
I have to apologise for something, I was so tired yesterday I didn't spot a much cleaner way of tackling my own extension question 2 that I should have told you about.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just had a read of some AS spec things. Very interesting it seems they've added more proof stuff. In fact the AM-GM inequality proof for two terms was a two marker in some sample material provided by Edexcel.

Exam question (?)

Prove that n3+6n2+8nn^3+6n^2+8n is divisible by 3 for any positive integer nn.
Reply 245
Just had a read of some AS spec things. Very interesting it seems they've added more proof stuff. In fact the AM-GM inequality proof for two terms was a two marker in some sample material provided by Edexcel.

Exam question (?)

Prove that n3+6n2+8nn^3+6n^2+8n is divisible by 3 for any positive integer nn.

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by StayWoke

Spoiler

Nice approach. I think you're very good at attacking problems systematically, just like when you solved the 62\sqrt{6}-\sqrt{2} problem.

Can you come up with a cleaner argument if I said that

Spoiler

?
threads dead lmao
Original post by RickHendricks
threads dead lmao

Got my own exams to revise for, cba creating questions at the moment :lol:
threads dead lmao

It will probably have peaks and troughs. I expect it to be busy nearer the exam.
threads dead lmao

SOOOO busy but I have been doing questions–just not posting solutions because they are already up :smile:
This is (arguably) harder than an AS exam question.

The circle C has equation x2+6x+y22y7=0x^2+6x+y^2-2y-7=0. The lines l1l_1 and l2l_2 are tangents to the circle and intersect at the point (0,a)(0,a) where a>0a>0.

Prove that a>1+22a>1+2\sqrt{2}.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Notnek
This is harder than an AS exam question.

The circle C has equation x2+6x+y22y7=0x^2+6x+y^2-2y-7=0. The lines l1l_1 and l2l_2 are tangents to the circle and intersect at the point (0,a)(0,a) where a>0a>0.

If I got this question right, I think it's a very nice question.

Also, there's my divisibility question still out there which has a neat solution that's not been presented yet.
Original post by Notnek
This is harder than an AS exam question.

Oh yeah, forgot to ask actually but is this really harder than an AS exam question? Unless I'm seriously missing something here.
Oh yeah, forgot to ask actually but is this really harder than an AS exam question? Unless I'm seriously missing something here.

My solution would be harder than an AS question but I haven't thought about other methods. What did your solution involve?
Original post by Notnek
My solution would be harder than an AS question but I haven't thought about other methods. What did your solution involve?

Um if you're not Notnek don't be cheeky and read this. :angry:

Spoiler

Um if you're not Notnek don't be cheeky and read this. :angry:

Spoiler

Spoiler

EDIT: Changed from normal distr. to binomial distr.

The principal is to pick 15 students from two different classes.
Picks from Mr. Notnek's class can be modelled by a binomially distributed random variable XX such that XB(nX,pX)X \sim B(n_X,p_X)
Picks from Mr. RDK's class. YY, can be modelled similarly by a binomial distribution such that YB(nY,pY)Y \sim B(n_Y,p_Y)

Given that (1) the mean of XX is 43\frac{4}{3} times greater than its variance, (2) a pick from Mr. Notnek's class is 2.5 times more likely to occur than from Mr. RDK's class, and that (3) the ratio between pXp_X and the mean of YY is 112\frac{1}{12};

(a) Determine the values of nX,nY,pX,pYn_X,n_Y,p_X, p_Y

(b) Given that P(X=9,Y=6)3.156924%\mathbb{P}(X=9,Y=6) \approx 3.156924 \%, show that X,YX,Y are independent events.

The principal now considers a third classroom as a possibility for students.

(c) Find the expression for picking kk students out of Mr. Notnek's class, and 5 students from Mr. RDK's class

(d) Show that P(1X<5,9<Y11)0.01%\mathbb{P}(1 \leq X < 5, 9 < Y \leq 11) \approx 0.01 \%

NOTE:
P(X=x,Y=y)\mathbb{P}(X=x,Y=y) denotes the probability of X=xX=x AND Y=yY=y, it can also be written as P({X=x}{Y=y})\mathbb{P}( \{ X=x \} \cap \{ Y=y \} )

(nk)=n!k!(nk)!\displaystyle \binom{n}{k} = \frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!}
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 258
Original post by RDKGames
Not sure if normal distribution is still in AS level stats or not, here you go nevertheless:

Joe is buying two tires from two separate car manufacturers, iCar and FireWheelz.
iCar sells tires which have mean diameter of 30mm and variance of 2mm
FireWheelz sells tires which have mean diameter of 33mm and variance of 4mm

It can be assumed that the diameter of both tires follow a normal distribution.

(a) State the probability that one of the tires that Joe buys has diameter of 32mm
(b) Determine the probability that the tire from iCar has its diameter between 31mm and 32mm, given that the diameter of the other tire is between 0mm and 0.0001mm
(c) Determine the probability that the tire from FireWheelz is of diameter less than its mean, while the tire from iCar is of greater diameter than its mean
(d) Determine the probability that the tire from iCar has diameter between 31mm and 32mm while the tire from FireWheelz has diameter between 35mm and 40mm

no. normal dist is in A2. Only Binomial is in AS.
Original post by Notnek
This is (arguably) harder than an AS exam question.

Wouldn't just plugging in x=0 and solving for y give you a? As it's stated a>0 and the fact that they're tangents. Completing the square and graphing the circle shows that this configuration is only possible iff a>that value as otherwise you cannot have 2 tangents intersecting at that coordinate as they'd be secants instead.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest