The Student Room Group

Hard Questions for the New AS Maths!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by I hate maths
Seems like a very nice thread idea. From the same MAT paper as Pastelx, I think this should be on the spec.

How many solutions does 2sin2x2cos2x=22^{\sin^2{x}} 2^{\cos^2{x}}=2 have in the range 0x<2π0 \leqslant x < 2\pi? Justify your answer.

Don’t have time to do it rn but it clicked in my head and I was like “WOW THATS SO CLEVER” XD
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Pastelx
Don’t have time to do it rn but it clicked in my head and I was like “WOW THATS SO CLEVER” XD

I look forward to that clever solution of yours. :smile:

Slightly concerned your quote of the problem is missing an addition sign though.
Reply 22
Original post by _gcx
Perhaps.

Using the binomial theorem, prove from first principles that d(xn)dx=nxn1\displaystyle \frac{\mathrm d(x^n)}{\mathrm dx} = nx^{n-1} for nZ0+n \in \mathbb Z^+_0. Justify why this method cannot be used to prove the derivative for all nRn \in \mathbb R.

lol, I did this myself in my head when I first learned differentiation.

Spoiler

Reply 23
Seems like a very nice thread idea. From the same MAT paper as Pastelx, I think this should be on the spec.

How many solutions does 2sin2x+2cos2x=22^{\sin^2{x}}+2^{\cos^2{x}}=2 have in the range 0x<2π0 \leqslant x < 2\pi? Justify your answer.

Spoiler

I look forward to that clever solution of yours. :smile:

Slightly concerned your quote of the problem is missing an addition sign though.

Haha rather unfortunately, it was the question I thought clever, rather than my solution XD

Very much doubting my answer now though:s-smilie:
UPDATE: Well everyone has different answers now so I'm just stuck

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by StayWoke

Spoiler

I'm confused by what you did

Spoiler

Spoiler

Alternatively, it's much nicer to just say:

Spoiler

x

Your conclusion is correct but you made a meal of it.

Spoiler

Reply 28
Your conclusion is correct but you made a meal of it.

Spoiler

I was more train of thought typing as opposed to planning. I know it's obviously not the cleanest solution.
Original post by Pastelx
x

The identity you quoted is very useful! Try reading RDK's suggestion and see if you can apply that identity to the problem. Make a post if you're still stuck :smile:. Note that RDK's suggestion will guide you along a different solution to the one posted by others (but it's the way I found more natural).
lol, I did this myself in my head when I first learned differentiation.

Spoiler

Yup. I wonder if e^x from first principles would be examinable. You're welcome to try ^_^

Spoiler

Original post by _gcx
Yup. I wonder if e^x from first principles would be examinable. You're welcome to try ^_^

Spoiler

It's not very examinable unless a definition of e is specified. The problem could range from off spec to incredibly trivial depending on your definition of e and the results involving e you provide.

To make it suitable, I think defining e to be the constant such that limh0eh1h=1\displaystyle \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{e^h-1}{h}=1 in the question is a good idea.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 32
The identity you quoted is very useful! Try reading RDK's suggestion and see if you can apply that identity to the problem. Make a post if you're still stuck :smile:. Note that RDK's suggestion will guide you along a different solution to the one posted by others (but it's the way I found more natural).

Yes seeing cos^2 and sin^2 makes one immediately think of using the identity. And I don't see a problem using this method.

Probably the quickest way is to consider the range of the two terms on the LHS. But this way of thinking might not come as naturally to someone who has only done AS maths style questions.

Haha yes I can see it now thank you! I was trying to rewrite the laws of logs there which definitely was not helpful

~30 minutes later~

OMG I can't believe I didn't see that earlier!! You literally have no idea how long I've been working on this:facepalm:

I have a solution but it is an absolute mess because I kept having to substitube to get my head around it (that's what you get for doing maths at 11:30pm!)

Spoiler

Reply 34
There may be a problem with this question. Please ignore it.

@Sanjith Hegde123 wanted me to chuck a hard AS stats question at him so here it is:

AA and BB are independent events in a sample space SS and the probabilities of AA and BB are non-zero.

For what specific condition that relates AA and BB are (AB)(A\cap B)' and AA independent?

EDIT: This would be worded better in a real exam but I'm unsure of the best wording TBH.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by _gcx

Spoiler

They wouldn't ask you to find the differential of expx \exp x without saying that limh0(exph1)/h=1 \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} (\exp h -1)/h =1 .

I don't think exp \exp is AS level anyway, but it's possible they could ask it in a year 2 paper.

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Notnek
@Sanjith Hegde123 wanted me to chuck a hard AS stats question at him so here it is:

AA and BB are independent events in a sample space SS. For what conditions are (AB)(A\cap B)' and AA independent?

I'm not even sure how to start this?
I defined the independancy of P(A) and P(B), of being P(A)xP(B)= P(AnB)
and made a venn diagram and shaded the P(AnB)' region.

But now what?
Original post by Pastelx
x

Nicely done. Good on you for focusing on the problem for that long. Everyone who does maths should get stuck on problems or they're not learning!
and are independent events in a sample space . For what conditions are and independent?

guysssssss where to start?????
Reply 39
Original post by Sanjith Hegde123
I'm not even sure how to start this?
I defined the independancy of P(A) and P(B), of being P(A)xP(B)= P(AnB)
and made a venn diagram and shaded the P(AnB)' region.

But now what?

If (AnB)' and A were independent, what equation must be true?

By the way the question isn't worded very well. "For what condition" is a bit ambiguous.

Quick Reply

Latest