The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Economics or Management

Hey, i've applied for management and got an ABB offer from Royal Holloway, but i was wondering how this course compared to economics in terms of respect from employers. I'm not really sure because the conditions stated on ucas for economics are BBB/ABC which are lower than management, but RHUL is supposedly ranked higher for economics than business. Would it be worth trying to switch or is management going to be ok?

Appreciate the help.

Scroll to see replies

RHUL's business school has a very good reputation. I'd say switch to management (but then im biased :biggrin:)
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
Legend Killer
RHUL's business school has a very good reputation. I'd say switch to management (but then im biased :biggrin:)

Cheers, its management i already have the offer in, i'll probably just stick to it. The other problem i have though is that i was thinking of putting management at cass as my first choice, which means if i don't get AAB and go to RHUL i wont have any prearranged accommodation as you have to put it as your firm to apply for campus rooms :frown:
ive been worrying abut that too, therefore i dont know whether to put RHUL as my firm or insurance.. cos i really like it there, yet i think it might be better to go to CASS?? anyone got any opinions on this? like in saying wheres better and why?
Reply 4
~.~ Millie
ive been worrying abut that too, therefore i dont know whether to put RHUL as my firm or insurance.. cos i really like it there, yet i think it might be better to go to CASS?? anyone got any opinions on this? like in saying wheres better and why?

I don't know about this either, i've got offers from the same 3 unis as you and i'm still confused lol
I think that Royal Holloway is the better university over all (if you're both applying for the universities listed in Millie's profile.

The Sunday Times releases a guide that doesn't just include university tables, but also tables for your subject, so you can see what the top 10/15/20 management departments are. Top ones = more likely to be employed as employer recognises them as having a very good reputation.

No idea where you can find the Times guide though.
Covert
I don't know about this either, i've got offers from the same 3 unis as you and i'm still confused lol

Cool - are you going to the Open Day (RHUL/SURREY) or have you been? - i never got an invite from City - but ive been there before

And why couldnt you do Economics and Management? its the course ive applied for - course code LN12
Reply 7
~.~ Millie
Cool - are you going to the Open Day (RHUL/SURREY) or have you been? - i never got an invite from City - but ive been there before

And why couldnt you do Economics and Management? its the course ive applied for - course code LN12

I've been to city and surrey and going rhul on the 20th, i have already sent my ucas off so i guess i can't really change it now, but i was interested in that course, maybe if i go there and dont like management theyll let me change.
Covert
I've been to city and surrey and going rhul on the 20th, i have already sent my ucas off so i guess i can't really change it now, but i was interested in that course, maybe if i go there and dont like management theyll let me change.

welll i mean, as long as you get the grades, then im sure they wouldnt mind.. esp when its in the same subject, and its only a minor change.. i guess!! have you decided whats your firm/ insurance?

and omg - im going to the open day on the 20th :P thats really weird - even tho its not :P hehe
Reply 9
~.~ Millie
welll i mean, as long as you get the grades, then im sure they wouldnt mind.. esp when its in the same subject, and its only a minor change.. i guess!! have you decided whats your firm/ insurance?

and omg - im going to the open day on the 20th :P thats really weird - even tho its not :P hehe

Firm and insurance is between city and royal holloway i guess... i chose my options with absolutely no idea in what career i wanted so i don't really know what to do lol

i hope there wont be too many people at the open day like at surrey, this is quite a late one so might not be too crowded :smile:
yet again, it is half term .. soo... might be a lil.
To be honest.. im in the same position as you!! :P same two choices - dont know what i want to do.. lol.. hehe think i can say.. we're in the same boat? :P

haha

Anyways.. what offer are you more likely to achieve - assuming that ur getting ABB for City and ABC/BBB for RHUL?
Reply 11
~.~ Millie

hi is this the open day for economics? is there one for management? ive accepted rhul as my firm as i hvent been invited to any subject open days :frown:
Erm there was a letter out that was sent to me in November asking me to go to their Department Open Day and there were several dates they gave me - 23rd jan, 30th jan, 20th feb, 5th march, 12th march and 19th march

and seeing as it is department open day.. i think it includes all the economics/ business subjects.

Anyways im doing Economics and Management there, so i dont know why they havent sent you one, maybe you should email them and ask them if you could go on the dates that have been mentionned?
Reply 13
~.~ Millie
yet again, it is half term .. soo... might be a lil.
To be honest.. im in the same position as you!! :P same two choices - dont know what i want to do.. lol.. hehe think i can say.. we're in the same boat? :P

haha

Anyways.. what offer are you more likely to achieve - assuming that ur getting ABB for City and ABC/BBB for RHUL?

lol its harder than that, city want AAB and RHUL want ABB and i dont really know which i will get, or even which uni i would rather go to. or which course!!
Reply 14
monica7790
hi is this the open day for economics? is there one for management? ive accepted rhul as my firm as i hvent been invited to any subject open days :frown:

Hey this is what they sent me:

Dear Aleem,

Thank you for your application to study BSc Management at Royal Holloway School of Management. If it is possible for you, I would like to invite you to attend one of our UCAS open days when you can make an assessment of the facilities and opportunities on offer.

28th November 2007

24th January 2008

21st February 2008

14th March 2008

You will have the opportunity to visit the campus, meet current students and staff and ask questions. Management presentations are held at 11.00am and 14.00pm and the College will also be offering tours of the Campus and talks which are more general to Royal Holloway.

So that we know whether to expect you, I would be most grateful if you could reply to this email directly to [email protected] stating which of the days you would like to attend and who will be accompanying you.
Reply 15
Covert
Hey this is what they sent me:

Dear Aleem,

Thank you for your application to study BSc Management at Royal Holloway School of Management. If it is possible for you, I would like to invite you to attend one of our UCAS open days when you can make an assessment of the facilities and opportunities on offer.

28th November 2007

24th January 2008

21st February 2008

14th March 2008

You will have the opportunity to visit the campus, meet current students and staff and ask questions. Management presentations are held at 11.00am and 14.00pm and the College will also be offering tours of the Campus and talks which are more general to Royal Holloway.

So that we know whether to expect you, I would be most grateful if you could reply to this email directly to [email protected] stating which of the days you would like to attend and who will be accompanying you.

thanks for putting that up. im gona email them now and say i didnt get one! i definately want to go to one. oh ffs my hotmail isnt working great!
Reply 16
monica7790
thanks for putting that up. im gona email them now and say i didnt get one! i definitely want to go to one. oh ffs my hotmail isnt working great!

by the way i emailed them and they replied saying the 21st of feb day is actually on the 20th
Reply 17
Covert
by the way i emailed them and they replied saying the 21st of feb day is actually on the 20th

ooo ok thanks. i finally managed to email them so hopefully they ll get back to me. id rather do the open day in march cos the 20th feb is my h/t so id rather miss a day of school than lol
Reply 18
~.~ Millie

Did you go today? what you think of it?
yeh i did go, i thought it was amazing - i love the school so much!, and i think it helped me decide my firm/insurance - certainly helped me decide where im going to stay if i get in and all that...
did you go to the econ talk?

Latest

Trending

Trending