username3434964
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So this month at school we are going to start choosing our options. The school hasn't said anything about it, except that we will be choosing them in January. There is an options evening / parents evening on the 17th (I think lmao), but a lot of people have already started thinking about a few subjects they would like to do.

So, I was just wondering - what is GCSE French like? Is it a bad choice for someone who is very shy at school? Does it take a lot of work for you (i.e. more than your other subjects)?
adamantacademic
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Languages demand work more than other non-core subjects, unless you're native or hella gifted at it I'd advise against it.
Now I got an A* in French in the old spec does it reflect my ability? Duck no. They would give you all the questions for speaking and writing and you could prepare at home and memorise your answers. So I simply hired a PhD Level French tutor to write my essays + answers memorised them and bang! However you can't do anything remotely like this in the new spec it's all unseen and what's worse reading and listening papers are far harder, I finished French in Yr10 and now I'm doing Spanish in Yr 11 and I'm barely managing to get a 4 low C.
yellowtulips
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you are a diligent student and prepared to learn the vocab, GCSE French can be a very rewarding subject. If you learn the vocab YOU WILL SUCCEED☺(Trust me i have 3 languages at GCSE) My best advice is to pick the subjects you enjoy (as you will work hard) as well as considering what is a good mix. Whatever you choose good luck!
perfectionist18
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would pick whatever you enjoy because otherwise you will find the work really draining and feel unmoivated. It depends on how shy you are as to whether French is a good idea - I have always considered myself as being quite shy but I generally feel alright, however there is a speaking exam which can be quite nerve-wracking. Also, I find that this is one of the only subjects I take where you get regularly called on in class, so if you are not too good at it and a little shy you may find it uncomfortable. However, your teachers may take a different approach which you would know if you have studied it lower down school.
There is a lot of work involved, but it's perfectly manageable and still far less than the coursework subjects ( particularly Art!). If you like it, go for it, but if you are already struggling I probably wouldn't.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I absolutely hated French. (though I came out with a B through sheer luck with coursework) I was apprehensive at the time of choosing it and I wish I had erred on the side of caution. If you enjoy KS3 French, and you do well, then do pick it!

Do note that it used to be the case that you could achieve a C/high D through your coursework alone, and then quite easily achieve a high grade. This is now no longer the case due to the new spec.
sunshinehss
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I enjoyed French though you have to put in loads of work/effort to remember vocab etc. At the end of the day it's very rewarding/satisfying to be able to simply comprehend another language.
thotproduct
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
bad
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (111)
28.03%
No (285)
71.97%

Watched Threads