The Student Room Group

Preparing to apply for midwifery in a year

Hi, I’m just wondering if anybody has any advice on what I can do to give myself the best chances!!!
I have been looking for work experience and have only managed to gain nursery work experience, I want something slightly more related!
I applied for hospital work experience also but did not get past the interview 😕

Also if anybody had any tips on how to get better at interviews as that is definitely my weak point!!

Thank you !!
Original post by Meglimb
Hi, I’m just wondering if anybody has any advice on what I can do to give myself the best chances!!!
I have been looking for work experience and have only managed to gain nursery work experience, I want something slightly more related!
I applied for hospital work experience also but did not get past the interview 😕

Also if anybody had any tips on how to get better at interviews as that is definitely my weak point!!

Thank you !!

Hi, I’m a first year adult nursing student but I thought I might still be able to help. I would keep looking at other hospitals for relevant work experience (or voluntary work) or other places like mother & baby groups, NCT groups, or breastfeeding groups.
It’s also worth looking at shadowing a midwife-even if you have to travel a bit further for a few days.
If you do continue with your work experience in the nursery, just keep in mind that midwives support women & you want to make it clear to the universities in your application & at interview that you are clear on the role of a midwife & indicate the skills you have gained that are relevant to midwifery.
Interviews are a challenge for (almost) everyone but there are plenty of tips & advice online that you can look at, so it’s worth having a look.
I hope this helps & feel free to ask more questions.
Reply 2
Yes I would really like to travel further but with my college work I have to catch the bus at 7:30 and then catch it back at 6. I find it really hard to squeeze in any volunteering as I just don’t think I will be able to commit. When I get a car hopefully I will be able to find something 👌🏼 does Nct offer work experience as I have my college holidays which I could do that in ???
Original post by Meglimb
Yes I would really like to travel further but with my college work I have to catch the bus at 7:30 and then catch it back at 6. I find it really hard to squeeze in any volunteering as I just don’t think I will be able to commit. When I get a car hopefully I will be able to find something 👌🏼 does Nct offer work experience as I have my college holidays which I could do that in ???

I’m not sure if NCT offers work experience, but I think the best thing to do is contact them. You could also ask them if they know of any other places that may offer work experience too.
If you have college holiday coming up, it’s worth looking at work experience further afield, even if you have to get a train, bus or a lift.
I hope this helps.

EDIT: https://www.rcm.org.uk/learning-and-career/becoming-a-midwife#experience this link may help you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Thank you so much I really appreciate it x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending