This discussion is part of a series.
view previous
stirkee
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Zerforax)
Could've signed him this summer for free.
Or he could have gone somewhere else for free. £15m is such pocket change for an english player of his age and potential that we may as well have just bought him, don't you agree?
UnWise
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by S.G.)
Ross Barkley’s move has been officially confirmed. 5 and a half year contract. He’ll wear the number 8 shirt. Transfer fee undisclosed but around the £15 million mark.

Marina Barkley isn’t bad.
No pressure.
S.G.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Hazard28)
Is Barkley our next Lampard? I thought it was gonna be RLC if anyone...

Anyway I'd rather have Barkley than Chamberlain...Dodged a bullet there.

Marina's a m.ilf btw
Chamberlain was back up for wing back. Not sure Conte would’ve played him in the centre of midfield.
(Original post by UnWise)
No pressure.
It’s only Oscar
looseseal
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I guess Chelsea have decided to follow the Arsenal model. Buy cheap, young, relatively unfancied players in the hope of turning them into world beaters. The only bright side is that we know how to shift them on for profit a year or two down the line.

This Barkley deal is symptomatic of the modern day attitude of the Chelsea board and it's the exact reason why we wont be competing for CL honours (w/o being serious underdogs) for the foreseeable future. City want to be up there so they continuously buy players to improve their first team. Looking at our signings over the past year could you honestly say any of them has noticeably improved our 1st XI? Morata and Rudiger potentially but the former has serious mental flaws and the latter hardly seems like he'll be a proper top level CB.
looseseal
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by stirkee)
Or he could have gone somewhere else for free. £15m is such pocket change for an english player of his age and potential that we may as well have just bought him, don't you agree?
Or we could have actually bought a player that improves our first team. In CM we have Kante (WC), Fabregas (WC but w/ serious limitations), Bakayoko (...), Drinkwater (above average) and now Barkley.

No combination of those players in midfield even comes close to matching that of the other top 10 clubs in Europe. Yes £15m is pocket change but he's taking up a position in the squad that could've gone to someone with real quality.

It's worrying to see fans start commenting on our transfers as if they were purely a business deal, focusing only on how much we could potentially flip the players for rather than how they fit into the team.
sr90
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In.

Pretty obvious that Barkley is a board signing and Conte had no involvement. It doesn't make any sense, Loftus Cheek will be back next summer.
stirkee
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by looseseal)
Or we could have actually bought a player that improves our first team. In CM we have Kante (WC), Fabregas (WC but w/ serious limitations), Bakayoko (...), Drinkwater (above average) and now Barkley.

No combination of those players in midfield even comes close to matching that of the other top 10 clubs in Europe. Yes £15m is pocket change but he's taking up a position in the squad that could've gone to someone with real quality.

It's worrying to see fans start commenting on our transfers as if they were purely a business deal, focusing only on how much we could potentially flip the players for rather than how they fit into the team.
I don't see the problem with the club buying players to flip. We've been doing it for a number of years now to great success (albeit usually for much smaller fees, and then loaning them out). If we flip a player for a good profit and can invest it in other players who are first team quality then that's fine for me.

The thing with Barkley is that okay he's not world class (far from it) but for £15m, with the clear potential he has, I think he's worth a gamble. If Conte specifically said he didn't want Barkley then I'm less happy but assuming that's not the case I see no issue.

I'm not disagreeing with you about the standard of our midfield though, Kante and Fabregas aside.
Mess.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

How can someone be world class with serious limitations like being unable to play when closed down.
ineedtorevise127
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Chelsea should have kept RLC, Chalobah and maybe sign someone like Goretzka instead of buying bakayoko drinkwater and Barkley.

The board has power over Conte

And someone like Aina should have stayed as a back up LB to Alonso
stirkee
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ineedtorevise127)
Chelsea should have kept RLC, Chalobah and maybe sign someone like Goretzka instead of buying bakayoko drinkwater and Barkley.

The board has power over Conte

And someone like Aina should have stayed as a back up LB to Alonso
I'm not saying you're wrong but the board having power over Conte doesn't have much to do with RLC and Chalobah going. Chalobah wasn't playing enough so he wanted to leave and RLC barely played at all and so went on loan. Unless you're suggesting the board was telling Conte not to play those two?
S.G.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I guess Chelsea have decided to follow the Arsenal model. Buy cheap, young, relatively unfancied players in the hope of turning them into world beaters. The only bright side is that we know how to shift them on for profit a year or two down the line.

This Barkley deal is symptomatic of the modern day attitude of the Chelsea board and it's the exact reason why we wont be competing for CL honours (w/o being serious underdogs) for the foreseeable future. City want to be up there so they continuously buy players to improve their first team. Looking at our signings over the past year could you honestly say any of them has noticeably improved our 1st XI? Morata and Rudiger potentially but the former has serious mental flaws and the latter hardly seems like he'll be a proper top level CB.
One thing we have different from Arsenal is our loan system. I know it’s easy to say with hindsight but it would’ve given us a world class team that would be capable of winning the champions league.

I think we’re also vary of spending money with the new stadium needing money and lack of CL revenue. We’ll be getting money from the Nike deal. Not only that but we had to pay Adidas £40 million to terminate the deal.
(Original post by sr90)
In.

Pretty obvious that Barkley is a board signing and Conte had no involvement. It doesn't make any sense, Loftus Cheek will be back next summer.
Definitely a board signing. Conte said in his press conference he doesn’t have any control over signings, bar suggestions.
ineedtorevise127
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm not saying you're wrong but the board having power over Conte doesn't have much to do with RLC and Chalobah going. Chalobah wasn't playing enough so he wanted to leave and RLC barely played at all and so went on loan. Unless you're suggesting the board was telling Conte not to play those two?
No but it does not take a genius to work out that RLC and Chalobah will at least do a similar job to Barkley and Drinkwater. Plus they are home grown
mrs_usher4
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Updated first XI ?

Mine would be:

Hazard Morata
Alonso Barkley Cesc Moses
Kanté
Azpi Christensen Rudiger
Courtois
stirkee
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ineedtorevise127)
No but it does not take a genius to work out that RLC and Chalobah will at least do a similar job to Barkley and Drinkwater. Plus they are home grown
Alright chill mate, no need to get sassy :lol:

The fact that Chalobah would do a decent job is irrelevant, he wanted to leave. If Conte had played him he may well still be here.

RLC had to leave if he was to progress. Think about how many minutes Drinkwater has been getting, that would be RLC. If he is going to become a starter for us then he needs games.

Barkley is worth significantly more than £15m so it makes sense to have bought him.
mhsc
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Don't even see the potential in Barkley, he has the one thing no transplant can fix: a deadbeat ****ing brain.

Strongly believe the only way forward is to buy players to improve the XI and force current first teamers into a competitive spot that they need to fight for.

We don't need more ****ing wastemen ffs.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Like who?

His profile isn't big enough and he's too much of an English LAD to go abroad (English players get paid way more in England too due to home grown rule)

He's not an intelligent enough player for Man City
He would never move to Liverpool
Man Utd have enough midfield players
Arsenal have too many average English midfield players
Spurs would be interested but Chelsea would blow them out of the water in wages

Anywhere else would be sideways or down from Everton.
chelseafreak
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
still don't rate barkley but £15mill is a lot better than the £30mill-£40mill being talked about in the summer. just a squad player so not a huge fee
looseseal
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by The Rusty Spork)
How can someone be world class with serious limitations like being unable to play when closed down.
Maybe I should have been more specific....

In terms of long and short range passing, from deep or in and around the box I would put Cesc in the top 5 in Europe if not top 3. That being said, his lack of physicality and somewhat generous need for time and space (though I think it's a bit of an exaggerated criticism), limit him from being properly WC.
bj27
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Hazard28)
Is Barkley our next Lampard? I thought it was gonna be RLC if anyone...

Anyway I'd rather have Barkley than Chamberlain...Dodged a bullet there.

Marina's a m.ilf btw
Yeah she's a lot hotter than I thought she would be.

(Original post by mhsc)
Don't even see the potential in Barkley, he has the one thing no transplant can fix: a deadbeat ****ing brain.

Strongly believe the only way forward is to buy players to improve the XI and force current first teamers into a competitive spot that they need to fight for.

We don't need more ****ing wastemen ffs.
Fully agree bring out the chequebook otherwise we are not going to win the CL.

It pisses me off that for years we've been looking for a quality rw and we still do not have one. It's like the defence against the dark arts position.
trapking
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
R.I.P. Antonio Conte

05/01/2018. Mourinho buried him :lol:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (174)
70.45%
No I haven't decided yet (45)
18.22%
Yes but I might change my mind (28)
11.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed