Likelihood of being accepted into a masters programme from a prestigious university? Watch

Jquery000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

I'm 25 and last October I enrolled into Open University's BSc Computing & IT course. Provided I achieve a 1:1 in 4 years, what are the chances of being accepted into a masters programme at one of the higher ranked unis in London (UCL, Kings etc)

Would their admissions office look down on a degree from the 'lesser' OU? And hypothetically, if I do get accepted and do well and come out with a masters from one of these aforementioned unis, what would the job prospects look like and would employers knowing I attended OU for my Bachelors be a hindrance?
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jquery000)
Hi,

I'm 25 and last October I enrolled into Open University's BSc Computing & IT course. Provided I achieve a 1:1 in 4 years, what are the chances of being accepted into a masters programme at one of the higher ranked unis in London (UCL, Kings etc)

Would their admissions office look down on a degree from the 'lesser' OU? And hypothetically, if I do get accepted and do well and come out with a masters from one of these aforementioned unis, what would the job prospects look like and would employers knowing I attended OU for my Bachelors be a hindrance?
It's possible, but nobody can say what the chances of admission are. Admissions won't care where your degree came from (or whether you studied via distance-learning or not), but they will care about the content of your degree. It might be an idea to send a speculative email to a few unis, say you're interested in this MSc and ask them if they think your degree's modules would satisfy their requirements.

Employers like OU degrees, with or without a MSc from a top uni. Again, your modules and skill set matter much more than where you got your degree from.
username3456172
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The OU is not a lesser institution and is regarded pretty highly. I only recently discovered the OU and I am about to embark on a BA English Literature (Hons) degree with them in February to hopefully pursue a career in teaching. Obviously, I had skeptic views of the OU purely on the basis that I had never heard of it before and I decided to call up a fair few reputable institutions to get an inside opinion. All the responses were purely for English but I feel the reputation of the OU speaks for itself in some of the responses.

Results:

Durham: Funnily enough I spoke to an academic who teaches the MA in Durham about my OU BA and they assured me having a 2:1 from the OU would be fine and they commented on the nature of study stating that they operate the MA with a similar emphasis on independent learning that the OU BA degrees contain. Durham is currently #1 for English in the UK.
The University of Leeds: The OU degree is fine for the MA Literature course providing it is a 2:1.
The University of Chester: The OU degree is fine for the MA course providing it is a 2:2 (I thought the 2:2 was low but that is what they told me :s)
Edge Hill University: The OU degree is fine providing it is at a 2:1 for the PGCE and the MA English.
DeMonfort University: Welcomed a member of TSR recently with a 2:1 in Language and Literature with open arms
University of Liverpool: The OU degree is fine providing it is at a 2:1
The University of Manchester: The OU degree is fine providing it is at a 2:1
Liverpool Hope: The OU degree is fine providing it is at a 2:1
The University of Birmingham: The OU degree is fine providing it is at a 2:1

Your highest academic achievement trumps all previous achievements in the eyes of many employers. I feel that they would look at your highest academic achievement. The OU BA (Hons) degrees are very much equivalent to a degree from other institutions. University level study in the UK is regulated by the government, a university cant award a BA (Hons) without it holding its weight.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (208)
23.64%
Pop (218)
24.77%
Jazz (33)