Is it too late to start properly studying my AS now?

Watch
Nintendogamer
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm two academic years behind. After doing a BTEC in IT (only completed the first yea), I decided I wanted to do AS Math, Chem and Bio. I plan to do Engineering, but I'll be doing my higher education in the USA, where my father lives, so there isn't an exact A level requirement, and it'll be enough that I have AS Math, and it mostly matters about the SAT reasoning test.

Now, I feel I've been lucky to take my last chance to enrol at a 16-19 Sixth Form, and take what I want for the last time. At the beginning of the year I promised myself I'd do it all. Extracurriculars, and hard studying....

I've been going through depression. Firstly because of living far from my dad (although I try to comfort myself that if I study, I'll be living with him if I get accepted at the uni there). I visited on Christmas and came back on new year day. That is when the depression kicked off even more. I haven't been able to study and I just burst into tears. I can't do it. I'm constantly down. Term at Sixth Form has already started and I've missed 3 days.

I hope to pick myself and study and get over this. I want my grief and upset to end. It's so horrible being constantly upset and feeling down in the dark, I wouldn't wish it on anybody, it gets in the way of everything. Especially when I haven't been studying, it's now making me feel worthless.

My question is, if I started the proper revision I was supposed to do in September, is there any chance I can atleast get the B I am aiming for in all 3. At least a B?

Or am I lucky to get a D?

Nintendogamer
Rep:
?
I also have only 4 months until the SAT reasoning test, which I have been promising myself I'd prepare for, but surprise surprise, my depression + my procrastination held me back, and time has flown....
Nintendogamer
Rep:
?
I also have mocks next week. I feel hopeless and the current grief I'm having is making it worse.
whydoidothis?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
AS levels are pretty simple. Just start now and make a plan. 3 months is enough time to get 3 a grades but it will require like 4 hours a day. Buy a revision guide or something, make sure u start.
Nintendogamer
Rep:
?
But I've been doing next to nothing for the past 4 months. Only now in January I'm trying to start.

Whenever I try studying I feel hopeless and I start bursting into tears because I remember everything that depresses me. I'm trying to actively fight against it though.

Are you completely 100% sure? What did you get at AS?
Nintendogamer
Rep:
?
Bear in mind I'd have to cover the stuff from the beginning because I haven't got a firm grasp of them yet.

My plan of study usually involves half an hour on, half an hour off.

I don't use flash cards or paper as it gets messy. At first I plastered my room with posters but that doesn't work, not enough room.

Instead I create slide shows on power point, so like, e- flash cards. I make diagrams using powerpoint's shapes, but it takes longer than drawing. But still, do you seriously think I have a chance? Or are you going easy on me because I mentioned I'm depressed?

Lol!
Nintendogamer
Rep:
?
(Original post by whydoidothis?)
AS levels are pretty simple. Just start now and make a plan. 3 months is enough time to get 3 a grades but it will require like 4 hours a day. Buy a revision guide or something, make sure u start.
But I've been doing next to nothing for the past 4 months. Only now in January I'm trying to start.

Whenever I try studying I feel hopeless and I start bursting into tears because I remember everything that depresses me. I'm trying to actively fight against it though.

Are you completely 100% sure? What did you get at AS?
Nintendogamer
Rep:
?
Whoops sorry, pardon the double post.
Nintendogamer
Rep:
?
(Original post by whydoidothis?)
Also, do you mean 4 hours a day for each subject?

Or 4 hours a day in general?
a186
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I’m in a v similar situation to you right now, trying to do A2s with major depression and only starting ‘real’ revision now. I find it so hard to study and my mind just wanders to negative thoughts anxiety etc. Ugh let’s do this though, f.ck depression.
commanderalevel
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by a186)
I’m in a v similar situation to you right now, trying to do A2s with major depression and only starting ‘real’ revision now. I find it so hard to study and my mind just wanders to negative thoughts anxiety etc. Ugh let’s do this though, f.ck depression.

Sometimes I wonder how though. My study method seems slow. Last night I studied for biology and cried halfway through as it felt hopeless, especially since thus was beginning material from September. I just tell myself it's better than nothing.

I hope we both conquer this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.1%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (30)
16.39%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (30)
16.39%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (27)
14.75%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (50)
27.32%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.03%

Watched Threads