You could be charged 25p for a coffee cup.

Watch
Danny Dorito
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
UK politicians want a tax on the 2.5bn coffee cups used a year. The 25p charge would be applied to every disposable coffee cup used in the UK as the vast majority of these cups cannot be recycled.

You can read the full story here.

What do you make of this? Is this a good idea? Do you already use a reusable cup?
Ganjaweed Rebel
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Government reach has gone far too far.

The establishment pushed diesel cars for emitting less CO2 only to realise the fumes are far more toxic. Guarantee the plastic bag charge will backfire too when they realise a biodegradable plastic bag is less harmful than your so called bag for life when that splits and gets thrown in the trash
Amefish
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Good! I think this is necessary :yep: when the plastic bag charge came in, the usage dropped by 85% in the first 6 months. Coffee cups are completely unnecessary and cause a lot more harm than good when they are being mass consumed (and people actually think they're recyclable!). It's not that difficult to carry around a reusable cup!
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Fair enough.

I do believe it's Starbucks who do sell a reusable cup.
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Good idea. The cups aren't truly recyclable, and aren't even reusable like plastic bags are.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Levy’s like this should be placed on the business’ not the consumer directly if they are to be placed at all.

Personally I would say you should only put a tax on something like this when there is a recyclable alternative.

So if there is then do it and if there isn’t then don’t
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
We all need to be weaned off our throw-away obsession.

The big problem is China stopping all plastic recycling overnight, meaning the UK (and many other nations) stockpiles of all plastic waste will grow unabated until other solutions to deal with the problem are adopted.

Of course plastic cup manufacturers are going to bleat.

Government is damned if they do and damned if they don't. The money to deal with it has to be found from somewhere. We are all guilty of laziness and complacency.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by paul514)
Personally I would say you should only put a tax on something like this when there is a recyclable alternative.
There is. It has been around for Millenia. In fact I think even the Ancient Egyptians had them. It is called a cup and you can use it over and over again. Perhaps not as convenient as buying 2p worth of landfill, but a viable solution non-the-less.
Zarek
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Quite bloody right. And the sooner it starts the better. This level of frivilous waste is insane. Far too many years were lost before cracking down on the carrier bags.
Captain Haddock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Danny Dorito)
UK politicians want a tax on the 2.5bn coffee cups used a year. The 25p charge would be applied to every disposable coffee cup used in the UK as the vast majority of these cups cannot be recycled.
It's worse than that. They can be recycled, they're just... Not. We only have like 2 recycling plants in the whole country capable of recycling the bloody things but even they don't actually do it.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
There is. It has been around for Millenia. In fact I think even the Ancient Egyptians had them. It is called a cup and you can use it over and over again. Perhaps not as convenient as buying 2p worth of landfill, but a viable solution non-the-less.
A porcelain cup can’t be used on the go which it the point up for debate not people who want to sit down in Costa
ThomH97
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Captain Haddock)
It's worse than that. They can be recycled, they're just... Not. We only have like 2 recycling plants in the whole country capable of recycling the bloody things but even they don't actually do it.
They're recyclable in that plastic is recyclable and paper is recyclable. With them fused together as they are in coffee cups, this is very difficult. Just paper or just plastic would be fine but the coffee chains have decided to make slightly better cups at the expense of their recyclability. The only way to combat this is to have an outside incentive for all coffee chains to move away from such cups.
A porcelain cup can’t be used on the go which it the point up for debate not people who want to sit down in Costa
You can buy your own lidded coffee cup. Or if you want something more versatile, get a camping flask.
k.n.h.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Danny Dorito)

You can read the full story here.

What do you make of this? Is this a good idea? Do you already use a reusable cup?
I think that decision's reasonable and justified enough. The charge would a nice deterrent to reduce non-recyclable waste from the cups as people would use them less, and this method has worked effectively with the plastic bag charge long ago.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ThomH97)
You can buy your own lidded coffee cup. Or if you want something more versatile, get a camping flask.
I agree with your reply to the other poster if that is possible but to say go into costa or star bucks with your flask and go one flat white please is laughable.
ThomH97
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I agree with your reply to the other poster if that is possible but to say go into costa or star bucks with your flask and go one flat white please is laughable.
It wouldn't be a common thing to do but it is possible, and I do believe they even offered a discount for doing so when they first introduced the scheme a while back.
Bezoar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I know a few places that do this already actually. Pretty annoying but I guess it's necessary... I hate having to carry around my own cup as it takes up loads of space in my already over-filled bag
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think it's a good idea? There's no real reason not to use a reusable cup, and it's the more environmentally friendly option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ThomH97
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by shadowdweller)
I think it's a good idea? There's no real reason not to use a reusable cup, and it's the more environmentally friendly option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Plus you can spell your own name correctly on it.
Manitude
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Bezoar)
I know a few places that do this already actually. Pretty annoying but I guess it's necessary... I hate having to carry around my own cup as it takes up loads of space in my already over-filled bag
If you are so busy that you cannot carry a cup or spare the time to sit in the coffee shop with one of their mugs, then I'm sure you'll be able to afford the 25p for a disposable cup. If you can't then you should probably get a better job or stop drinking coffee from coffee shops.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Of course it can. But there are other materials. Here is the cup I got for Christmas.

https://www.redber.co.uk/products/2-...BoCRkcQAvD_BwE
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (206)
33.28%
No (413)
66.72%

Watched Threads