Language and ethnic identity

Watch this thread
sunonmyside
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello!

Can anyone help me with a query I have about this ethnic identity question:

'We use language to construct different identities in different social interactions. Individuals can be said to "perform" particular aspects of their social identity in specific situations.' With reference to this quotation, discuss how ethnicity is communicated or performed in ONE or MORE communities of practice.

I am confused about the term communities of practice and what this includes. Is it incorrect to label African Americans as a community of practice? Would I have to refer to a group such as factory workers who share the same ethnicity?

Thank you,

sunonmyside
SHUGURU
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sunonmyside)
Hello!

Can anyone help me with a query I have about this ethnic identity question:

'We use language to construct different identities in different social interactions. Individuals can be said to "perform" particular aspects of their social identity in specific situations.' With reference to this quotation, discuss how ethnicity is communicated or performed in ONE or MORE communities of practice.

I am confused about the term communities of practice and what this includes. Is it incorrect to label African Americans as a community of practice? Would I have to refer to a group such as factory workers who share the same ethnicity?

Thank you,

sunonmyside
Hey!

Wenger theorised communities of practice - if you have access to reading resources I'd suggest looking this up so that you can create your own understanding of it!

I don't believe a Community of Practice has to be a group who work in the same job, but a group who have the same values in mind for whatever they do. I don't think you'd be able to label each ethnicity as a Community of Practice, but if there was a certain group with the same ethnicity who had a certain goal or value, you'd be able to call them a Community of Practice. The 'practice', I'm sure, could relate to any goal so even a conversation with the goal being to strengthen relationships would be worth studying.

However, it'd be best to contact your lecturer or the person who set you this question so that you can make sure you're answering the question directly.

Hope this helps,

Ellie
sunonmyside
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thank you Ellie - you did help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (19)
28.79%
As I expected (19)
28.79%
Harder (25)
37.88%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.55%

Watched Threads