The Student Room Group

2 hour lessons

What do you guys think about 2 hour driving lessons? My instructor only does 2 hour, and I think its better because I just feel 1 would just not be enough. Would you also me booking 8 lessons (16 hours) over a month for £400 is a good idea?
Original post by Fighter365
What do you guys think about 2 hour driving lessons? My instructor only does 2 hour, and I think its better because I just feel 1 would just not be enough. Would you also me booking 8 lessons (16 hours) over a month for £400 is a good idea?

If you've had your instructor for a while, and can trust him, then bulk-booking lessons for a discount is probably OK.

Two-hour lessons are definitely better, especially if your test centre is a 20-minute drive like it was for me.
Reply 2
My lessons were 1:30 and half an hour of that was driving home (still me driving) so i’d definitely recommend 2 hours instead of 1! Usually blocks are booked in 20 hours, £400 for 16 hours is a LOT. Could just be difference in area as i’m in the north east, but mine and pretty much everyone I know were around £18 per hour.

Check out a few instructors and get some prices to see if that’s normal, sounds like a huge rip off to me though.
Reply 3
Original post by cat_mac
My lessons were 1:30 and half an hour of that was driving home (still me driving) so i’d definitely recommend 2 hours instead of 1! Usually blocks are booked in 20 hours, £400 for 16 hours is a LOT. Could just be difference in area as i’m in the north east, but mine and pretty much everyone I know were around £18 per hour.

Check out a few instructors and get some prices to see if that’s normal, sounds like a huge rip off to me though.

You’re having a laugh! I have a mate at work that pays £32 an hour! I’m in south east btw
You’re having a laugh! I have a mate at work that pays £32 an hour! I’m in south east btw

Wow. That's a lot.

I was also trained in the South East (approx. 20-minute drive from Stratford) and I paid £23 p/h.
Reply 5
Original post by Blue_Cow
Wow. That's a lot.

I was also trained in the South East (approx. 20-minute drive from Stratford) and I paid £23 p/h.

Yeah ik but he does an hour at a time. Mine are about 25 an hour which isn’t too bad
Reply 6

Seriously???? A block of 20 hours with my instructor was £180 because of the block discount. How anyone affords to live in the south is a mystery to me 😱
Yes 2 hours is definitely better than just one hour, especially if you will only have that 1 lesson a week (like me) it will be easier to remember what you’ve learnt for the next lesson.
Reply 8
Original post by cat_mac
Seriously???? A block of 20 hours with my instructor was £180 because of the block discount. How anyone affords to live in the south is a mystery to me 😱

That’s £9 an hour??? How’s that right??
Reply 9
That’s £9 an hour??? How’s that right??

Yep worked out to around £16 a lesson, so I guess prices were based on the lesson rather than the hour. Never really thought about it much, that’s just how things are around here haha
Only my first lesson was 2 hours. My instructor said if we wanted we could do 2 hours but he mainly does 1 hour ones which is what I chose. My test centre and driving all took place in my town, occasionally going other places so 1 hour was plenty to get lots done.
2 hours is better than 1 but it might be uncomfortable
Wouldn't pay up front until we're "regulars". £400 is around what 16 hours would cost in London though, I paid that much (that hurts thinking about it from that point of view). Starting with 2hr lessons can get tiring for some though, after you've had like 10-15 hours sure, before that idk.
2 hours is definitely better than 1. I feel that 1 hour passes way too quick and it's over by the time you've started, especially if you're first starting out.

A 2-hour lesson enables you to learn a whole lot more and there's more time for driving which is ideal (if you're like me) who wants to improve their confidence and get the grasp on things a bit better.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 14
2 hours?
Don't do it
Would not recommend
It becomes so boring/tedious
Find someone who does 1 hour sessions!!
Original post by asox
2 hours?
Don't do it
Would not recommend
It becomes so boring/tedious
Find someone who does 1 hour sessions!!

I did 2 hour lessons and the time goes really quickly. 1 hour goes too quick IME, you just feel like you're getting in your groove and before you know it you're back home. Best to keep going with your lesson when the ball is rolling. Even ended up doing 3 hours lessons after a while and just as I felt like those were starting to get boring, we were already driving home.

I did my lessons in the South East also OP, I ended up paying £18 an hour from bulk-buying lessons but this was nearly 5 years ago now. If you've had lessons with the instructor and have every intention of sticking with them all the way to your test because they're good, and it'll save you money, it makes sense to buy in bulk.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
I did 2 hour lessons and the time goes really quickly. 1 hour goes too quick IME, you just feel like you're getting in your groove and before you know it you're back home. Even ended up doing 3 hours lessons after a while and just as I felt like those were starting to get boring, we were already driving home.

I did my lessons in the South East also OP, I ended up paying £18 an hour from bulk-buying lessons but this was nearly 5 years ago now. If you've had lessons with the instructor and have every intention of sticking with them all the way to your test because they're good, and it'll save you money, it makes sense to buy in bulk.

It must depend where you're driving...
I was in a fairly rural area and it was very tedious and 1 hour was plenty!
Original post by asox
It must depend where you're driving...
I was in a fairly rural area and it was very tedious and 1 hour was plenty!

Could be a factor I guess, rural roads are a bit dull! If you live in a city, though, 2 hour lessons are better, hands down. Makes sense as well to not be driving back and forth from your home every hour as that's less time spent learning on the test routes.
Did 4 hour lessons when I was learning. I found it was really good, as you were able to venture out more. Drove from York to Scarborough and back during one of them.

Quick Reply

Latest