YNWA1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Just back from the Dentist's (it went well, thanks for asking!)

As I lay there with my fashionable orange safety goggles on, my mind started wandering off to all kinds of places, including... how people get involved in dentistry in the first place! Can you share your path with me?

- Does it start with a fascination in anatomy in general?
- Or is it because your parents were dentists?
- Or you've researched the pay and are planning to retire when you're 45?
- Is it because you like being around people?
- Did your Biology teacher at school show you a particularly inspirational dentistry video?!

Very intrigued and interested to hear your thoughts!

Tim
Hype en Ecosse
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have alway$ been intere$ted in teeth $ince I wa$ a young child.
YNWA1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
I have alway$ been intere$ted in teeth $ince I wa$ a young child.
Oooh, tell me more. What aspects particularly interest you? I guess from a non-medical background, I'm just trying to better understand the motivations behind people's decisions to commit to years of study and work around one particular area of anatomy. I've always been intrigued.
Kvothe the Arcane
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Interested to see what people's responses to this are. Who really wants to work with teeth for the rest of their lives at 17?

(Original post by • You’llNeverWalkAlone)
Oooh, tell me more. What aspects particularly interest you? I guess from a non-medical background, I'm just trying to better understand the motivations behind people's decisions to commit to years of study and work around one particular area of anatomy. I've always been intrigued.
I think he's a medic, making fun of people who give cliched answers to those sorts of questions.
YNWA1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
Interested to see what people's responses to this are. Who really wants to work with teeth for the rest of their lives at 17?

I think he's a medic, making fun of people who give cliched answers to those sorts of questions.
Oh :-/ Sorry, my 'sarcasm radar' was momentarily turned off. Turned it back on now :-)

Looks like I'm no closer to finding answers then. Fingers crossed others will share their opinions.

Cheers folks,

Tim
Hype en Ecosse
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Haha yeah, I'm actually a medic. I think people come up with all sorts of convoluted reasons for liking certain areas, but money is a primary motivator that they're too afraid to mention (even though there's nothing wrong with that).

Teeth are boring. Performing surgery on teeth is boring. You become a dentist for the same reasons you become a medic (You like people; you like working in a field with an immediate effect on people's lives; you're interested in disease and like seeing your knowledge applied in the real world), except you want that cushy lifestyle with shorter training pathways and fat stacks. The folks I know who are dentists turned medics (who aim to pursue oral maxillofacial surgery) tend to do it because they start to find general dentistry unrewarding.

Hope I don't come across as too holier-than-thou: I'm planning to end up working in GP, dermatology or psychiatry and it's for the same reason - cushy lifestyle and fat stacks. :P
YNWA1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
Haha yeah, I'm actually a medic. I think people come up with all sorts of convoluted reasons for liking certain areas, but money is a primary motivator that they're too afraid to mention (even though there's nothing wrong with that).

Teeth are boring. Performing surgery on teeth is boring. You become a dentist for the same reasons you become a medic (You like people; you like working in a field with an immediate effect on people's lives; you're interested in disease and like seeing your knowledge applied in the real world), except you want that cushy lifestyle with shorter training pathways and fat stacks. The folks I know who are dentists turned medics (who aim to pursue oral maxillofacial surgery) tend to do it because they start to find general dentistry unrewarding.

Hope I don't come across as too holier-than-thou: I'm planning to end up working in GP, dermatology or psychiatry and it's for the same reason - cushy lifestyle and fat stacks. :P
Lovvvvve that honesty! I'm learning, I'm learning... :-)
denteddental
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
One word Tim, my friend - money.
I'm currently a dental student and even though some aspects of dentistry are interesting, if the pay wasn't so good I wouldn't have lasted one year in Dental school. I would have honestly dropped out in first year.
YNWA1
Rep:
?
(Original post by denteddental)
One word Tim, my friend - money.
I'm currently a dental student and even though some aspects of dentistry are interesting, if the pay wasn't so good I wouldn't have lasted one year in Dental school. I would have honestly dropped out in first year.
Come on then, just how good are the salaries? I'm sure I could find out on Google, but I'd rather hear it from the horse's mouth / teeth!
denteddental
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Come on then, just how good are the salaries? I'm sure I could find out on Google, but I'd rather hear it from the horse's mouth / teeth!
About 28K in your first DFT year which isn't bad and it's a reputable profession. After that, it's onwards and upwards.
Dento5
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As discussed above, I agree, it isn't a problem to be motivated in part by money. I think its fair to say a lot of people in Dentistry are motivated by the money. Not great if you base your entire career choice around it though especially one in healthcare.

Quite surprised that previous posters can say performing surgery on teeth is boring if you haven't done it yourself, but then I forget that medics know everything!

It's a very hands on profession and you get a large amount of responsibility as an undergraduate (perhaps the most responsibility in any undergraduate degree) by treating your own patients and looking after them for several years. You have to have similar qualities as a medic (good people skills, meticulous organisation, the academic ability - although neither degree is hugely academic, etc).

Personally I think Dentistry is satisfying and gives a reasonable work-life balance and you have a lot of options after you qualify. I think that is a big reason why people choose it.
HateOCR
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just back from the Dentist's (it went well, thanks for asking!)

As I lay there with my fashionable orange safety goggles on, my mind started wandering off to all kinds of places, including... how people get involved in dentistry in the first place! Can you share your path with me?

- Does it start with a fascination in anatomy in general?
- Or is it because your parents were dentists?
- Or you've researched the pay and are planning to retire when you're 45?
- Is it because you like being around people?
- Did your Biology teacher at school show you a particularly inspirational dentistry video?!

Very intrigued and interested to hear your thoughts!

Tim
When i got a toothache at 7, i knew Dentistry was meant for me. Now I’m pursuing this dream.
denteddental
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by HateOCR)
When i got a toothache at 7, i knew Dentistry was meant for me. Now I’m pursuing this dream.
srsly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (7)
11.86%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.47%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.08%
I need help with my personal statement (25)
42.37%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
23.73%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.39%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.08%

Watched Threads