Revision Help

Watch this thread
JodieRachael
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey Everyone! I’m currently doing my GCSEs and I’m struggling in most subjects. Does anyone have any ideas on how to boost grades and and tips for staying focused and not stressing? Thanks in advance!

gemmafieldx
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Heya I’m doing my GCSE’s at the moment too. I find making checklists of topics, revision cards (brainscape is a great digital flash card app) and watching revision videos on youtube really helpful. With the revision videos I usually search the topic or subject I need to revise and find a video or channel to watch. Mr Bruff is a great channel for english revision and he really helps me with poems and remembering quotes. I hope this was helpful and PM me if you want any help
JodieRachael
Rep:
Thank you so much! Will definitely try this
deswes
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Ive done all my GCSEs and i have passed them all woth B or better. One thing i can say is read alot around the subject and make yourself a revision timetable to help you break the syllabus down into chunks so its easier to process and when you revise make sure you take regular breaks at about 20-30 minutes as it allows your brain to process the information and make a bank of keywords that you have learnt that day and review them before bed and just try and define them and what relates to them, this helps your brain make links between different information pieces
JodieRachael
Rep:
Thank you!! I like the idea about reviewing them before bed. Will try this !
K8e.H
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
If you’re struggling, I’d recommend starting revision early so you can identify the topics you’re most stuck on. Talk to your teachers about lists of learning intentions - lots of teachers like doing the traffic light thing where you say if you are confident or not. If you know your weakest areas, go and talk to your teachers. Ask them questions or to go over a certain topic. Find out if there are any revision classes after school or at lunch.

In terms of revision, I would highly recommend flashcards:

1) make summary cards - you will find yourself only writing important info for each topic as you only have a small card to fit it all on. Highlight definitions and examples in different colours - or any other category. It helps to imagine you are making a cheatsheet for the exam. Look over these cards before you go in.

2) make definition cards - for a lot of definitions write the word on one side and definition on the other. When working through them and questioning yourself, you want to make two piles: one of definitions you get wrong and one of definitions you get write. When you finish the pack, pick up the pile you got wrong and repeat the process. Hopefully more cards will end up in the correct pile. Just repeat until you get them all correct.

3) make question cards - write question and answer, and use the same technique as for definition cards - a correct and incorrect pile, repeating the incorrect ones.

PASTPAPER QUESTIONS - get an idea of the questions that come up again and again.
When marking, grab an extra sheet of paper and write the correct answer for any definition or explanation you got wrong. This will effectively give you a page of things you don’t know yet or need to go over.

To focus - make sure all distractions are out the way. I put my phone in a drawer or leave it downstairs. Make small goals, like reviewing one topic or making up a list of questions to ask your teacher. These will seem less daunting and you will be more likely to focus and just want to get them out of the way.
Print out a calendar and make a study timetable - do a little bit of a different subject every day. You will also be able to see a bigger picture of the time you have between now and exams.

For stress, planning well should help. I always feel a lot more stressed when I have a lot to do and I haven’t planned when I’m going to do it. Just chip away, and every new thing you understand will make you feel a little bit better.

Also, I have a diffuser in my room, which basically evaporates water and you can put essential oils in it. I would recommend investing in one of these and putting something like lavender in if you are feeling rly stressed. I have a friend who has a whole collection of different products called ‘rescue remedy’, like little hard sweeties and oil you drip onto your tongue. They’re meant to calm you down. My other friend has this tiny teddy bear that she brings to exams - it’s meant to be lucky if you push the star on its tummy. Basically, anything that works for you!

Hope this helps
JodieRachael
Rep:
Thank you so much for your help! I’ve found flash cards really help for me so I will continue doing them! I like the idea of a diffuser so might try that! ☺️☺️
gemmafieldx
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Temple GCSE is also a great app for science revision
JodieRachael
Rep:
Thank you!!
bexterbrice
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hi, I graduated from UCL last year with an MSc in Management. So I had quiet a lot of exams and papers to submit. Research papers, journal articles, class material,...lots of reading is required to isolate info. It gets messy fast ! To stay productive I use the APP Squeezit to organize my work and revisions. You can find it on the App Store for free. It is super cool and easy to use, only for Mac though. You can make your own study guides and flashcards, mind-maps... out of any PDFs. It is very useful and timesaving !

Hope this helps-

Feel free to reach out !

Good luck
JodieRachael
Rep:
Thank you !!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (59)
26.94%
As I expected (70)
31.96%
Harder (82)
37.44%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.65%

Watched Threads