Bekah_m
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m in year 9 and I’m picking my GCSE options next month. I want to be a lawyer when I’m older.

Compulsory subjects are:
English literature
English language
Combined science
Maths
R.E

I’m thinking about picking History, French and Drama.

History- I really like history and apparently it’s good to take history if you want to become a lawyer.

French- I’m in set one and I kinda like French. Also, universities like it when you have a MFL qualification.

Drama- I really like drama and I’ve been in various performing arts clubs .

Do you think these options are good for someone that wants to be a lawyer ? Should I not take Drama ?
Josh827
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
it doesnt matter, your gcses are completely irrelevant you should only be conerened about a level choices. choose what you think you can get the highest grade in
randomsheep11
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
History and French are amazing for being a lawyer. At A Level, you could do those 2 with English and have an excellent selection of subjects for law.

I hope you enjoy English though. But from my knowledge English and History are the two most obvious A Level options for law (apart from Law itself but that's not even necessary).

You wouldn't want to close off History (in particular) and French for your A Levels, as if you don't do them at GCSE I doubt you could do them at A Level.

Drama is a good choice. I personaly only did academic subjects but having a creative one will be nice. There's no other particularly key GCSE options that are useful for law, Sociology is somewhat related but it's not much more beneficial than Drama imho.

At University you could even do a combined degree of Law and French, a very common combination which most uni's provide.
yeahthatonethere
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To be completely honest all that universities care about are your GCSE grades, not choices. They may specify grades in specific subjects but those subjects are generally compulsory ones such as maths or english literature.

So the best thing you can do is pick GCSEs you love! Like I said above the grades are what matter so you should pick subjects you are good at and enjoy. I chose a GCSE I hated (art) and didn't want to take just because my mum said I should and it really dragged and I know I could have got a better grade if I chose something different. Alternatively I chose a GCSE I loved (Philosophy and Ethics) that family were apprehensive about me taking and I enjoyed it a tonne and aced it! So your best bet is to pick what you enjoy.

If you know what you want to take at A Level, they sometimes require a specific grade in a specific subject depending on your institution so check out if they require anything. For example my high school sixth form required GCSE History for A Level History but the sixth form college I attend does not.

Don't worry too much about feeling like you have to take a language GCSE! I didn't and I currently have 4 offers and an interview at universities so it doesn't hinder you much at all. But if you enjoy it, it's always a good qualification to have and you generally need a GCSE in the language to do it at A Level.

Hope I've helped and anymore questions just ask!
Bekah_m
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by randomsheep11)
History and French are amazing for being a lawyer. At A Level, you could do those 2 with English and have an excellent selection of subjects for law.

I hope you enjoy English though. But from my knowledge English and History are the two most obvious A Level options for law (apart from Law itself but that's not even necessary).

You wouldn't want to close off History (in particular) and French for your A Levels, as if you don't do them at GCSE I doubt you could do them at A Level.

Drama is a good choice. I personaly only did academic subjects but having a creative one will be nice. There's no other particularly key GCSE options that are useful for law, Sociology is somewhat related but it's not much more beneficial than Drama imho.

At University you could even do a combined degree of Law and French, a very common combination which most uni's provide.
Thank you very much. What GCSEs and a levels did you pick?
randomsheep11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bekah_m)
Thank you very much. What GCSEs and a levels did you pick?
For GCSE I picked: History, French and Geography.

For A Level I'm doing: French, Chemistry and Biology.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.04%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.89%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.58%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
37.91%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.57%

Watched Threads