B1312 - Monarchy Abolition Referendum Bill 2018 (Second Reading) Watch

This discussion is closed.
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What is this?/I'm confused
Hi there. If you're confused as to what is going on here then you are probably new to this section of TSR. This is a Model House of Commons, a forum where we emulate the structure of the Real Life House of Commons as an excuse to debate politics.

If you are seeing this and you want to get involved in the debate, please feel free. You do not need to join a party, get approval or join any group to get stuck in right away. If you enjoy it and you do want to join a party then you can do so here. If you have any questions or need any help please message me. I am the current speaker of the house and part of my role involves offering impartial advice to new members so I will always be happy to answer what questions you have. Alternatively, you can read the new members guide to get advice on a wide range of issues.

Note: Please refrain from making comments about how we spend our free time. It is our free time to spend.

B1312 - Monarchy Abolition Referendum Bill 2018 (Second Reading), Hon Connor27

Monarchy Abolition Referendum Bill 2018
A BILL TO Call a referendum on abolishing the monarchy.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1- Referendum
(1) A referendum is to be held on whether the United Kingdom should abolish the monarchy.
(2) The question that is to appear on the ballot papers is— “Should the United Kingdom abolish the monarchy?”
(3) The poll options are to be— “Yes - abolish the monarchy”, “no - keep the monarchy”, and “Spoilt Ballot”

2- Citation and commencement
(1) This Act extends to the United Kingdom.
(2) The provisions in Section 1 of this Act come into force on Royal Assent
(3) the provisions in Appendix 1 of this act shall come into force in the event of a “yes” vote in the ensuing referendum.
(4) This Act may be referred to as the Mornarchy Abolition (Referendum) Act 2017

Appendix 1

1- Abolition

(1) In Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the people are sovereign.

(2) The head of state for the UK will not from the date of commencement of this Act be appointed by birth.

(3) From the date of commencement of this Act, the UK’s formal name shall become ‘The Republic of Great Britain and Northern Ireland’.

(4) The Crown Estate shall become the private property of the former royal family.

(5) Public funding for the Royal Family will end on the date of commencement of this Act.

2. Royal Palaces

(1) All occupied and unoccupied Royal Palaces shall become private holdings of the former royal family.

3. President

(1) From the date of commencement of this appendix, the reigning Monarch’s duties will be transferred to an elected president.

(2) The President is indirectly elected by the Parliament of the British Republic.

Notes
The home of modern democracy currently has a unelected head of state so we should give the people of the uk (and tsr) a say on whether they want to keep the monarchy.

People voted for a party who supported a referendum on this and some people complained there was no mandate to push for this but that exists now.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2833093

Changes for Second Reading

Changed section 2(1) and 2(3) in order to make the bill constitutional.

Amended appendix 1, removing some of the more controversial elements of V706, outlining the full future arrangement in the event of a “yes” vote in the referendum.
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I hope that this version of the bill is more amenable to the house, the formatting has been changed as has the future model for the royal family and the head of state position in the event of a “yes” vote.
username2718212
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Although I welcome things that may draw more people into the house, I think we need to leave the monarchy debate alone for a while. We've gone through it enough.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Although I welcome things that may draw more people into the house, I think we need to leave the monarchy debate alone for a while. We've gone through it enough.
We haven’t had the debate in 2 and a half years...
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Connor27)
Define we
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Define we
We have not had this referendum for 2 and a half years.

Debating whether or not to hold a referendum is not “having this debate.”
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That doesn't define we...:rolleyes:
CountBrandenburg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I see the power of republicanism is strong with the proposer... no as before I think
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's better, I'll give you that.
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, all referenda so far have been mere annoyances with no game-changing implications.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nay. Refer to my comments in the first reading.
Mr T 999
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
We had a referendum two terms ago I think. We also had a debate about the monarchy abolition under Petros as Speaker when he created those big debate question threads.
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mr T 999)
We had a referendum two terms ago I think. We also had a debate about the monarchy abolition under Petros as Speaker when he created those big debate question threads.
We did not, the last referendum was the eu one over 2 years ago as it was before I joined.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mr T 999)
I was here two terms ago, there was no referendum on the monarchy, it hasn’t happened since the 21st Parliament.

The big debates are quite unlike a referendum campaign because they do not utilise the debate and current affairs subforum; which naturally attracts more activity to the MHOC because of its greater exposure.

Also the formal debates and campaign groups afforded by a referendum would be a lot more suitable for this debate than one of the big debate threads used by Petros and Birch (as good as they are, they are insufficient for a topic like the monarchy.)
username280380
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Wilhuff Tarkin)
No.
I agree with the Right Honourable Members Sentiments, especially at a time of such instability with Brexit looming - another referendum on such a fundamental could ruin the United Kingdom yet further than we have just committed to doing so.
Lord_Mediocre
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nay, the amendments while better are no way close to making me even consider this to be a legitimate topic that should be looked at right now.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was here two terms ago, there was no referendum on the monarchy, it hasn’t happened since the 21st Parliament.
There was no monarchy referendum in the 21st Parliament, that was an EU referendum. The last real lengthy debate was held in Parliament 19 when a majority government of the left abolished the monarchy using a bill.

The monarchy referendum was 3 or 4 terms before that, from what I remember coming up in discussions since then. Certainly long before I joined, and I've been here nearly 4 years.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Needs a commencement clause but aye.
LibertarianMP
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
aye
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (87)
18.95%
Labour (225)
49.02%
Liberal Democrats (61)
13.29%
Green Party (28)
6.1%
Brexit Party (6)
1.31%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.65%
SNP (10)
2.18%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.65%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.31%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (2)