Really struggling with a level Physics? Please help

Watch
username3066408
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey,
I got an A at GCSE physics and physics has always been the science which came most natural to me.
Now that i've started my a level course though, I'm struggling so much.
I don't understand anything and I cant't remember anything.
I recently did my first major test and I got a U, which i've never got before.
I don't know how to revise or even what to do im honestly so stressed by it and i feel really unsupported at college.
My teacher says how its all our responsibility, and our choice if we do well or not and it's honestly such a negative input to me. This past year has been really bad for me mentally and I'm lucky if i manage to get myself out of bed.
I don't have any motivation or drive left, I feel like i've fallen too much and I won't be able to get back on my feet.
I kinda just want to drop out of college and die.
Please can someone advise me on how to learn and revise efficiently?/ general a level physics advice?
VioletPhillippo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by dial595esc)
Hey,
I got an A at GCSE physics and physics has always been the science which came most natural to me.
Now that i've started my a level course though, I'm struggling so much.
I don't understand anything and I cant't remember anything.
I recently did my first major test and I got a U, which i've never got before.
I don't know how to revise or even what to do im honestly so stressed by it and i feel really unsupported at college.
My teacher says how its all our responsibility, and our choice if we do well or not and it's honestly such a negative input to me. This past year has been really bad for me mentally and I'm lucky if i manage to get myself out of bed.
I don't have any motivation or drive left, I feel like i've fallen too much and I won't be able to get back on my feet.
I kinda just want to drop out of college and die.
Please can someone advise me on how to learn and revise efficiently?/ general a level physics advice?
Hi,

I did physics a level and it was honestly one of the toughest processes that I've been through but I made it to the other side. It is a huge step up from GCSE so it is really normal to be struggling and it' awful that your teacher isn't very supportive.

I found the most efficient ways of revising for physics were based on trying not to get bogged down by all of the detail.
- Writing key points and equations for each topic - presented in a large and colourful way. There are some really good summary sheets online.
- Using YouTube videos to visualise concepts such as motors in a 3D way.
- Looking at the overlap between topics also cut the volume of my revision down.
- Doing past papers and marking them really carefully - looking for key words, phrases and equations that are repeated and make a notebook with them in. Practise using the equations until you're comfortable with them.
- Keep on asking questions either on here or in college - try not to get behind as it'll make you feel worse.

Is there any area that you're particularly struggling with? I'm really happy to help.
Presto
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I got an A* in IGCSE but am struggling in AS too. I feel that my concepts are clear but I can't apply them to the contexts of the questions. The qs almost always throw me off guard or I'd understand the q but wont be able to write a good answer and I've been getting Cs and Ds in self-tests and school tests as well. I've given up on self tests, they just make me feel like ****. Now I try the question, check that q from the mark scheme and then the examiner report but this takes A LOT of time and my grades still aren't getting any better. I don't have time to make notes or summary sheets and I've seen the ones online but I don't like reading on a screen. Someone pls help me out TT
username3066408
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by I-try)
I got an A* in IGCSE but am struggling in AS too. I feel that my concepts are clear but I can't apply them to the contexts of the questions. The qs almost always throw me off guard or I'd understand the q but wont be able to write a good answer and I've been getting Cs and Ds in self-tests and school tests as well. I've given up on self tests, they just make me feel like ****. Now I try the question, check that q from the mark scheme and then the examiner report but this takes A LOT of time and my grades still aren't getting any better. I don't have time to make notes or summary sheets and I've seen the ones online but I don't like reading on a screen. Someone pls help me out TT
(Original post by I-try)
I totally understand what you mean with applying what you've learnt to exam questions. I think it's just a matter of getting used to the style in which the problem is being asked.
Presto
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
But how can you get used to them without solving tonnes of past papers. I knew some people who only did the latest years and were able to coast through AS phys with As
Presto
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Your professor must be a really good teacher if he reassured you of that. I just checked that site and they wont do anything for free + there's an option for highschool-level assignments but not A levels so it's not useful for us tbh
CaraStudying
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Definitely try making revision notes and flashcards as you go along! Try as many different revision techniques as you can so that you can find what works best for you - it might not be the same for every subject. All of my physics notes are in the Cornell style. I don’t use the summary box at the bottom but I always have a left hand column which I use to put words which I have to learn the definition of in and questions about the content to quiz myself. Then you can cover up the main body of the notes and just answer the questions you’ve previously written.
Presto
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Cornell style doesn't really work for me and making revision notes seems like a waste of time now especially with only like 3-4 months left. I have started making neater ones now in class but the one's b4 these of unit 2 are almost completely useless. I just want someone to tell me an easy way to learn and understand the 'exam technique' and to get high As. I see people watching movies, watching their fav tv shows and still somehow managing to get amazing grades so I think that my problem is that I just can't seem to work smart yaknow and it makes my life miserable and I go to bed completely tired and unfulfilled almost every single day TT
I cant seem to make time for most of the things that I want to do because so much of it is lost in stupid homework and hw doesnt help me improve all that much because I'm so easily distracted while doing it. I'm not even enjoying life when I'm not studying, I'm just lost in thought or dosing off and what takes me about 3-4 hrs to complete would take plenty of my classmates only an hour so I really need to be more focused but I can't because I hate homework sooo ****ing much. I still complete it but it's a real pain
phys981
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would say practice practice practice with exam questions is the best way to go. And yes, I appreciate that sometimes when you see an unfamiliar question it's difficult to know where to start - come here and ask! But make clear when you do that you want clues to help you get started with the question and not a full worked answer (there are some very helpful people on here but sometimes some are too quick to do the work for you which doesn't help in the long run).

Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (665)
33.57%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (843)
42.55%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (384)
19.38%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.49%

Watched Threads