Katie015
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
What points can you include in this essay

German horror at the terms of the Treaty of Versailles was the result of unrealistic expectations. Explain why you agree or disagree with this view.

I have the first point as that Germans were expecting to win the war and put the punishment and get reparations from those who lost the war, but they were kept in the dark so they could not expect to loose and by punished themselves.

Second point is that unrealistic expectations also came from Wilson's 14 points as he promised self-determination and instead Germany became militarily weak and lost 13% of its territory.

Third point is that the signing process of the Treaty was itself seen as a Diktat or Dictated Peace and so they felt horror from being forced to sign it.

What can be the fourth point?
TrumpetCrumpet
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don't forget to discuss unrealistic reparations.
I know you briefly mentioned reparations but I really think it could expand into its own point. Germany having to take blame for the war (war guilt) so they had to pay money (can't remember specific amount) to different countries. So Germany was in great debt leading them to have to borrow money to pay this. However this lead to the wall Street crash causing poverty amongst the German people causing resentment towards the Weimar government.

Just a very brief summary, hopefully you'll be able to pad it out with your own knowledge 😊
miss123sahra
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I disagree the german horror at the Treaty of versalles was mainly caused because in january 1919, when Britain,America and france decided the terms of the treaty they did not invite Germany to the meetings.Thats why it was known as a diktat, like you said. Also, because of the fact that the Weimar government signed it ( they were forced too as another conflict would have started if they did not.) odinary germans started to believe in the stab in the back theory. This was the view that it was not the army's fault that they lost the war it was because of weak politicians who are not strong. i hope this helped, i am a edexcel GCSE history student and we have to learn about this also.
mariapcosta
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would also mention the role of Kaiser, it was not only due to unrealistic expectations that the Germans felt horror; most of the population had no role in the decion making that led to WW1 and were ultimately those who suffered the most, creating a generalized hatred towards Versailles and the Weimar republic itself for submitting to it (they had no other choice but the Germans felt overall betrayed).

If you find appropriate when speaking about Wilson's 14 points, mention the Treaty of Brest Litovsk and its terms, as the Germans should not have expected a treaty based on them seeing as what they imposed on Russia was much harsher.

Oh and in your first point you could also include that, since most German territory had remained intact, people did not see themselves as having been defeated; the Germans signed an armistice, and were being treated as a defeated power.

Hope these ideas helped!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (112)
28.07%
No (287)
71.93%

Watched Threads