The Student Room Group

What order should i answer the questions in? (GCSE History)

Hello,

I’m in year 10 and on Monday I have a mock exam for Edexcel GCSE History. What order do you recommend me writing the answers in in order to not run out of time?
There is 4 mark ‘key features’ question, a 12 mark ‘explanation’ question and a 16 mark ‘judgement’ question. People have told me to start with the 16 mark, but i’m not sure.
Original post by elizabethlau
Hello,

I’m in year 10 and on Monday I have a mock exam for Edexcel GCSE History. What order do you recommend me writing the answers in in order to not run out of time?
There is 4 mark ‘key features’ question, a 12 mark ‘explanation’ question and a 16 mark ‘judgement’ question. People have told me to start with the 16 mark, but i’m not sure.

Divide the marks you have by the total time in minutes -5.

The 5 minutes is to carefully read through the paper and spot the ones you want to answer.

Depending on the questions, then go for the easiest first, but stick to your timetable. The small question might be a good starter, but dont spend too long. It should be based on marks per minute or minutes per mark. That tells you how ,long to take per question. the killer is to spend too long. See what you get.
16 marker is the first you should do first 100%. Plan it out first if you have time, not a detailed one but maybe a few initial ideas you have, and remember to stay on track with the question. Then do the 12 maker, then the four and so on. Always do the ones with the most marks first just in case you run out of time- obviously it's better to have 16 marks behind you than 4 if you go over the time. Also, good luck!

(doing mocks might seem annoying but they are the BEST revision for history- get the essay writing down and you'll ace it)
Thank you!! I’ll definitely do that then.
Original post by elizabethlau
Hello,

hiya im a year 11 and my mocks r in a couple of days. I'm not on the same board as you but we have a similar structure of 4,6,10 in ours. 4 is factual, 6 explores a topic that requires two-three points and 10 is an essay that must have a definite judgement at the end e.g. who was to blame for the cold war? I find it easier to get through the 4 & 6 first as quickly as I can (but check before you move on!) because they are simply regurgitating information whereas the 10 marker needs more thought and attention to structure and language etc. And also a really important thing to remember is that in history quantity definitely does not equal quality. in my year 10 internal exams i wrote about 10 sides for my history paper but still only got a high A, whereas my friend who wrote about 6 sides got around 97%! good luck i hope that this helped a bit xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending