The Student Room Group

Can i get sacked for calling in sick on my THIRD day at work?

I am a good salesman that’s why I got this job after one interview. My current financial situation doesn't dictate me any mental leverage of not working as I support myself off of employment with absolutely no savings. However, I have learnt that you cannot argue from a weak point of view so I had this question. As I am typing this which means I have not found a relatable post online anywhere what so ever and this is my only resort. I recently started a job and its my third day as I have posted this message, I love the job and the pay actually gives me enough left off after bills to save up and work towards something else as well. The only problem is that I have called in sick and the boss was really mad at me. She did not appreciate this at all as I was expected to be very reliable. I know it doesn't matter that its end of the week (Friday) but at the same time I am really stressed out over here pulling my hair as I have just received an email from my boss saying ‘Please return employee key card as soon as possible’. to add more, I really did fall ill, I am a really hard working individual who thrives under pressure and barely am ever bored. I have my reasons to work towards and so am self motivated as well. To finally ask; Can I get sacked after calling in sick on my third day at work?
Reply 1
You shouldn’t have called in sick lol stupid move...
Reply 2
Any chance you can get a doctor's note to prove to your employer that you are ill?
Reply 3
Try to get a medical note of some sort if you can, but theoretically yes they can sack you. Employers don't need to give a reason for firing within the first year i believe, and unless you can prove discrimination or other gross or unfair dismissal then you won't really have a case
Original post by Avaia
Try to get a medical note of some sort if you can, but theoretically yes they can sack you. Employers don't need to give a reason for firing within the first year i believe, and unless you can prove discrimination or other gross or unfair dismissal then you won't really have a case

2 years.

And it's automatically unfair dismissal which is the exception. Ordinarily unfair dismissal would also not give right of suit until 2 years.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
2 years.

And it's automatically unfair dismissal which is the exception. Ordinarily unfair dismissal would also not give right of suit until 2 years.

ahhh 2 years :redface: sheeet, ty for the clarification :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Airmed
Any chance you can get a doctor's note to prove to your employer that you are ill?

I can do that or alternatively; can I not agree with me being wrong for taking sick leave on my third day and then complimenting their efforts on taking this seriously and then give justification of me being very sick to the point that I would have been unproductive at work (which is true). in the end, if my boss still isn’t agreeing I can suggest a sick note?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending