How to get a grade 9 in history gcse Watch

Raia4
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I recently received my November mock results back and I'm honestly quite upset about my grades in certain subjects. One of these is history which i received a grade 5- in which is now my working at grade (I'm predicted a 5 at GCSE but I'm determined to prove my teacher wrong) I thought i did really well in one of the history papers but I ended up only getting 66% (I did 2 papers and I got 50% on the other one so my overall grade was an average of the two). Whenever we review history tests I always see where I could have improved but when I'm actually doing it it isn't apparent to me. Do you guys know any really good history revision sites or videos or anywhere where I could get some really good history material. I am generally good at remembering dates and figures, its just the PEEL and technical accuracy part of it I guess?
**btw I am currently in year 11, thanks in advance
whosjeda
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Im also currently in year 11 too, and im trying to do well in history and our grades are quite similar. Things i use is this guy called Mr Swift History on Youtube he does some of the topics i do in school (but it depends what you do aswell in school as it can be different), i create mindmaps and revision cards. I'm also going to buy the revision guides we use in school (eventhough they ar quite expensive) but i do want to pass lol so try buying the revision books you use in school.
10oba-abbad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by whosjeda)
Im also currently in year 11 too, and im trying to do well in history and our grades are quite similar. Things i use is this guy called Mr Swift History on Youtube he does some of the topics i do in school (but it depends what you do aswell in school as it can be different), i create mindmaps and revision cards. I'm also going to buy the revision guides we use in school (eventhough they ar quite expensive) but i do want to pass lol so try buying the revision books you use in school.
Hi can I know what 4 topics you are doing? I got a 9 in our end of year and just sat paper 1 of our History mock on Medicine and Elizabeth (think I did quite well). I would love to help and if you are doing the same modules as me I can tell you what I have been doing
username3535256
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Raia4)
I recently received my November mock results back and I'm honestly quite upset about my grades in certain subjects. One of these is history which i received a grade 5- in which is now my working at grade (I'm predicted a 5 at GCSE but I'm determined to prove my teacher wrong) I thought i did really well in one of the history papers but I ended up only getting 66% (I did 2 papers and I got 50% on the other one so my overall grade was an average of the two). Whenever we review history tests I always see where I could have improved but when I'm actually doing it it isn't apparent to me. Do you guys know any really good history revision sites or videos or anywhere where I could get some really good history material. I am generally good at remembering dates and figures, its just the PEEL and technical accuracy part of it I guess?
From a History A level student, predicted A* (and A* at GCSE)

1) the function of mocks is to see where the holes in your knowledge/understanding/exam technique are. If you’re able to work out what is missing, you’re on the right track. It is also encouraging to see that you are determined to exceed expectations - this is an excellent attitude to have.

2) Obviously, mocks are important (good opportunities to revise etc). However, it is important to note that if you do badly, it really does not matter, as long as you are applying (1), however disappointing it may be (I know from experience). People usually don’t do anywhere near as well in yr11 mocks as they do in summer exams.

3) For me, History was the heaviest subject in terms of sheer content, and the way I coped was to simply keep going with the revision, writing notes, attending extra sessions (if you have them at your school), keep practising essay questions/past papers etc and you’ll get the hang of it.

4) It is also useful to develop a rigid formula for history essays, given that the questions are pretty rigid in their style and structure (particularly at GCSE). When I did it, the questions where basically ‘to what extent do you agree with this statement: ...’, every single time.
So I wrote:
- A very brief introduction stating literally what your argument will be (i.e. yes or no) and almost nothing more.
- Evidence supporting the statement can be given as follows.
- 2 or 3 developed and substantiated points. - Evidence opposing the statement can be given as follows.
- 2 or 3 developed and substantiated points - A conclusion to complete the argument.

In general you need to be informative and analytical, but concise and selective with the information that you supply (it must be relevant, otherwise it is simply a waste of paper).

Hope this helps.

🎶
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
username3315352
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Im doing A-Level history and got an A at GCSE. The best way to get a high grade is to memorise facts and dates. My A-Level teacher is constantly telling us "You can easily get an A at GCSE through fact recall, but A-Level isnt like that". So as long as you know the chain of events (just read a textbook) and you know what happens and why- then throw some facts on top and you'll be guaranteed a good grade.
Also- Make sure your handwriting is good.
whosjeda
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 10oba-abbad)
Hi can I know what 4 topics you are doing? I got a 9 in our end of year and just sat paper 1 of our History mock on Medicine and Elizabeth (think I did quite well). I would love to help and if you are doing the same modules as me I can tell you what I have been doing
The topics im doing are: Crime and Punishment , Whitechapel, Weimar Germany , Superpower relations and the cold war , and Henry the 8th and his ministers
JJrevises
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hey we're doing the same modules! But I have Weimar Germany and The Cold War too. Tips would be really helpful, my situation is exactly the same. I am predicted a 6 but am working at a solid 4. I want to prove the teacher wrong too! Tips and trick/general studies would help so much!
10oba-abbad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by JJrevises)
Hey we're doing the same modules! But I have Weimar Germany and The Cold War too. Tips would be really helpful, my situation is exactly the same. I am predicted a 6 but am working at a solid 4. I want to prove the teacher wrong too! Tips and trick/general studies would help so much!
Use stats, facts and figures. Things like the cost of bread in 1921 after inflation being 200 billion marks to construct a point. If you can send me a sample answer i can edit it and send it back if that helps. I nearly got full marks in the actual thing and even if it was a while ago im sure i can still help.
JJrevises
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Use stats, facts and figures. Things like the cost of bread in 1921 after inflation being 200 billion marks to construct a point. If you can send me a sample answer i can edit it and send it back if that helps. I nearly got full marks in the actual thing and even if it was a while ago im sure i can still help.
Ok sure. I am currently focusing on 12&4&16 mark questions. So basically how I can get all of them. I am really, bad and take ages to write 12 & 16 mark questions, since you only have 20/25 mins for that question then you have to write quickly. Anyways,
16 Mark Question - Medicine Through Time
Vesalius's work on anatomy was a major breakthrough in medical knowledge during the period 1500-1700. How far do you agree.
I am particularly unsure how to structure the answer and how to stay extremely relevant to the question and what it is asking. Thanks so much!👊✔👏
Success_student9
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Raia4)
Omg
Your the same as me
But last year end of y 10 mocks I got a 2 and we did one in October y11 and I got a 6 you can do this don’t worry aha
JJrevises
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
My teacher said at parents evening last week your PEEL structure is so atrocious that she doesn't know how I am going to get a 6, but I am practicing!!
username4153272
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Does anyone know where you can get practise questions from for the new spec??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Guardian Offices, Kings Cross, London Postgraduate
    Mon, 2 Sep '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (220)
12.47%
Excited (165)
9.35%
Worried (308)
17.46%
Terrified (389)
22.05%
Meh (183)
10.37%
Confused (38)
2.15%