rg2005
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
i need a linux OS but do not which one to download, i only need it for listening to music and using office
xeonman9000
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
All the main ones can do that and more, Fedora, OpenSuSE, Mandriva, Kubuntu, Debian.
If you currently use a Windows PC, you'll want the i386 (32-bit) version, or the x86_64 (64-bit) version (Core2Duo/Athlon 64 only).
ConservativeNucleophile
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ubuntu.

The recent editions come with everything you'll need for browsing, desktop office stuff, and listening to music. If you have difficulty playing MP3s, use a program called Automatix.
ca25
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Dont forget Gentoo
It takes a bit of work to get started (i.e gentoo compiles packages optimized for your system [you do have the chance to opt for precompiled packages though]), Plus the package manager, Portage is really easy to work with and quite versatile. Well worth the effort needed to install.
estel
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It takes a bit of doing to get started, but after that its' a breeze to work with.
^^
expat dammit, expat!
steelmole
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I recommend Ubuntu. I switched this christmas and only boot into windows for the odd thing here and there (use my obscure mp3 player and put files on my nintendo DS) oh and to play games of course.

Really though, Ubuntu is pretty easy to get used to. I was already using open office and firefox so most of the stuff wasn't really a change. The forums are pretty good for advice too.

Ubuntu is much easier than when I last tried to use linux, that's for sure...
mishmashystuff
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I favour Ubuntu greatly, but it's all down to the OP at the end of the day.

Try Linux Live Discs. Get a feel for the OS. Try some programs out. Read about it on Wikipedia, etc.

Then once you're comfortable, install linux distro.
ca25
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by estel)
^^
expat dammit, expat!
???
i assume you refer to the language i used.... I've edited it; was a bit fuzzy at 4.00 am in the morning... :P
mikeleeds
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Fedora!

Used to use Ubuntu, Fedora (IMO) i much nicer.
estel
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Eh, no; I was refering to the expat2.0 update that killed a lot of inattentive gentoo box users. It essentially broke a lot of machines where the user didn't do revdep-rebuild after their upgrade (their fault, I know). I was caught when it originally hit ~ (a couple of years ago...), but that was about a week before I removed Gentoo entirely anyway.
My point being, it wasn't particularly user friendly.
vishon
Report 11 years ago
I would recommend mandriva 2007. It has all you need.
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by charith_a)
Dont forget Gentoo
It takes a bit of work to get started
Understatement of the century. :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads