Can I use this quote in an essay? pls help me

Watch
grool
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm doing Pre-U English and my PI question is "Compare and contrast the ways in which Oscar Wilde in 'Salomé' and Carol Ann Duffy in 'The World's Wife' present the transgressive nature of femininity'. My subsidiary texts are Marlowe's 'Dido: Queen of Carthage' and Woolf's 'Orlando'.

One of the quotes from one of the Duffy poems is:
'He ****ed me again
Until he was sore.'

My analysis of this quote is as follows:
"Delilah assumes a more submissive role in the relationship: she lacks passion and seemingly only does things because of Samson, not of her own accord. He is seen to dominate her in a sexual manner. Moreover, the use of the vulgar verb ‘****ed’ suggests that the act of sex is unclean – a reflection of negative biblical attitudes towards women expressing sexuality. Furthermore, Delilah’s passivity implies that she has no input in her sexual relationship with Samson; ‘Until he was sore’ suggests that the act was for his pleasure and Delilah’s feelings are diminished."

Thing is, it's a rude af and pretty vulgar quote and I feel like even though I can justify using it I might not be able to because of the swearing ect, and what if I end up with some crusty old conservative man as my marker who penalises me for it because I stuck the word '****' in my essay?! So idk, will it be acceptable? Pls help my first draft is due in in a couple of days aaaAAAHHHHH
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
oliver477
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
If its a quote its a quote. You can write it like it is and do not worry about stuff like this.
RedBeard20
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by grool)
I'm doing Pre-U English and my PI question is "Compare and contrast the ways in which Oscar Wilde in 'Salomé' and Carol Ann Duffy in 'The World's Wife' present the transgressive nature of femininity'. My subsidiary texts are Marlowe's 'Dido: Queen of Carthage' and Woolf's 'Orlando'.

One of the quotes from one of the Duffy poems is:
'He ****ed me again
Until he was sore.'

My analysis of this quote is as follows:
"Delilah assumes a more submissive role in the relationship: she lacks passion and seemingly only does things because of Samson, not of her own accord. He is seen to dominate her in a sexual manner. Moreover, the use of the vulgar verb ‘****ed’ suggests that the act of sex is unclean – a reflection of negative biblical attitudes towards women expressing sexuality. Furthermore, Delilah’s passivity implies that she has no input in her sexual relationship with Samson; ‘Until he was sore’ suggests that the act was for his pleasure and Delilah’s feelings are diminished."

Thing is, it's a rude af and pretty vulgar quote and I feel like even though I can justify using it I might not be able to because of the swearing ect, and what if I end up with some crusty old conservative man as my marker who penalises me for it because I stuck the word '****' in my essay?! So idk, will it be acceptable? Pls help my first draft is due in in a couple of days aaaAAAHHHHH
As long as the quote is relevant to the point you are making which In turn has relevance to the question then yes you can use it, if its in the poem it is there to be used if you need to~
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.63%
Note taking apps (7)
1.85%
Flashcards (86)
22.75%
Revision guides (19)
5.03%
Past papers (173)
45.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (15)
3.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed