The Student Room Group

Funding for OU to complete my undergraduate course?

I started a law degree in September 2014, I had to resit my second year and due to personal circumstances I didn’t complete this resit year so I didn’t complete my degree but I’ve already used up 3 years of student finance.

I am expecting my first child and I am on my own so I am looking into completing my degree from home part time but as I understand you’re only entitled to 4 years student finance.

Does it make a difference that my first attempt I was a full time student and now through the OU I would be a part time student? Would I be able to get funding for the rest of my degree done through OU or will I have to pay? As a single mother finances are obviously going to be tight so if I don’t get funding then I don’t think I’ll be able to use this route despite being very keen on completing it.

Thanks for any help/advice, it would be much appreciated!
Original post by louise1329
I started a law degree in September 2014, I had to resit my second year and due to personal circumstances I didn’t complete this resit year so I didn’t complete my degree but I’ve already used up 3 years of student finance.

I am expecting my first child and I am on my own so I am looking into completing my degree from home part time but as I understand you’re only entitled to 4 years student finance.

Does it make a difference that my first attempt I was a full time student and now through the OU I would be a part time student? Would I be able to get funding for the rest of my degree done through OU or will I have to pay? As a single mother finances are obviously going to be tight so if I don’t get funding then I don’t think I’ll be able to use this route despite being very keen on completing it.

Thanks for any help/advice, it would be much appreciated!

Hi Louise,

As your previous study was full time and you didn't complete your degree and you will be studying your new course at the Open University, which is classed as part time, you should be eligible to receive funding. This is because full time study where you didn't achieve a degree won't affect any future part time study, and vice versa.

Currently, with part time study you are only able to apply for the tuition fee loan (and Disabled Students Allowance if applicable), however, as of the 2018/19 academic year you can also apply for a maintenance loan to help with living costs.

I hope this helps,

Kind regards,

John.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending