jam12
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hey guys,
I got a letter from Imperial on Sat saying that I've got an interview for my course (chemistry F105, industrial exp).
I've never been to University interview before and was wondering what can I expect. Would be great if someone could give me there experience of an interview at Imperial too.

Thanks
Jam.
Infinsquared
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hey. I'm in the same situation - same course too heh. Not planning to accept an offer from Imperial tho, want to go Sussex, but figured its good experience if nothing else. I emailed them to try and find out a bit more about it, this is what they said:

"In reply to your questions, the interview is more than a chat. We try to make it as informal as we can, it's not a 'grilling', but you will be asked Chemistry questions and so you are as well to be prepared for that. It is usually about some of the topics you may be studying or have studied recently, and it goes from there. It is your opportunity to show how enthusiastic you are about studying Chemistry and why you would like to come to Imperial. As you have been invited to interview, your application is being seriously considered and the interview just gives us and you the chance to find out that little bit more and a decision is made after that. I hope this is helpful for you."

When is yours? 6th of Feb for me (short notice much :P).

Best of luck for yours

Chris.
jam12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Infinsquared)
Hey. I'm in the same situation - same course too heh. Not planning to accept an offer from Imperial tho, want to go Sussex, but figured its good experience if nothing else. I emailed them to try and find out a bit more about it, this is what they said:

"In reply to your questions, the interview is more than a chat. We try to make it as informal as we can, it's not a 'grilling', but you will be asked Chemistry questions and so you are as well to be prepared for that. It is usually about some of the topics you may be studying or have studied recently, and it goes from there. It is your opportunity to show how enthusiastic you are about studying Chemistry and why you would like to come to Imperial. As you have been invited to interview, your application is being seriously considered and the interview just gives us and you the chance to find out that little bit more and a decision is made after that. I hope this is helpful for you."

Best of luck for yours

Chris.
Yep, feb 6th for me too.
Hope they just ask questions on topics from the module I've just done (AQA Mod 4) - it will alright then. I'm sure they'll also ask about you're personal statement too - ahhhh, I best get reading the 'so-called' chemistry magazines I read lol.
Personally think they've already made a decision and want to find out if the people are actually normal etc.
And if I get the offer, I'm strongly going to consider it. My parents want me stay near home as London accomadation is expensive but then again, I pay off the money quick time if Imperial helps me get a top job.

Btw, I think you've got more of a chance getting in than me - my predicted grades are A, A/B and B . If they give me a conditional offer of ABB I'll be laughing my head off since it will take the pressure right off me. But I highly doubt that.
Good luck!!
MulderMan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jam12)
I best get reading the 'so-called' chemistry magazines I read lol.
That really is the best interview advice!
I forgot that chemistry review was published at york, during my york interview... lets just say bluffing is a master skill, and I got my offer!
Extreme!
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've already had my Chemistry interview (back in Novemeber) and they will kinda ask you what you've been doing recently i.e. what do you want to be tested on, so ensure you know about that specific area. Then, as they did with me, they picked up on something in my PS and went a bit into (too much) depth with it.

The main thing to remember though that you will direct what you will speak about (well most of it), so don't worry!!

Good luck!
Ferchichi
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jam12)
Yep, feb 6th for me too.
Hope they just ask questions on topics from the module I've just done (AQA Mod 4) - it will alright then. I'm sure they'll also ask about you're personal statement too - ahhhh, I best get reading the 'so-called' chemistry magazines I read lol.
Personally think they've already made a decision and want to find out if the people are actually normal etc.
And if I get the offer, I'm strongly going to consider it. My parents want me stay near home as London accomadation is expensive but then again, I pay off the money quick time if Imperial helps me get a top job.

Btw, I think you've got more of a chance getting in than me - my predicted grades are A, A/B and B . If they give me a conditional offer of ABB I'll be laughing my head off since it will take the pressure right off me. But I highly doubt that.
Good luck!!

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh i have the exact same pred grades as you, I also feel the EXACT SAME as you do. I will see you tomorrow.

Infinsquared
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Wow. On a bit of a high atm. The interview was brilliant. Wasnt really feeling it until then. They asked me a few bits about why Imperial, why Chemistry, then a bit of recent work, and then moved on to my personal statement, picking up on me mentioning mechanisms. First they got me to draw out any mechanism of my choice - i chose to do SN2 with Bromoethane and hydroxide.
Then they took it up a notch to, well, what else could happen? So i did a mechanism for the hydroxide stripping a H from the R-CH2Br, which i was informed was an example of alpha elimination. Then they took it a step further, pointing out that it was unlikely to attack the R-CH2Br, so i did it with the H on the R-CH3, which was beta elimination apparently. It really opened my eyes to whats out there, something seemingly so simple, but i had never even imagined it happening before. I had Prof Donald Craig (the undergrad admissions tutor) and another guy, Ed something btw.

If you were there, i was the guy in the plain black suit and white and blue shirt, with the quite long, light brown hair, and had a big, cream colour coat :P

Have to say, the interview was the big selling point for me. The uni was "eh" up til then, but the interview really showed what they could offer me academically. Hope sussex can show me something similar, or this is gonna be a tough decision.
Lizzielizard
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Infinsquared)

Best of luck for yours

Chris.
May I ask why? Just curious. :p:
Infinsquared
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I liked the actual uni and area of Sussex Uni far more than Imperial. Also, the course i want to do is 4 years at Sussex and 5 at Imperial, and two or three really close friends are also planning the make Sussex top choice.

I was told I had the potential to get into Oxbridge, but I wanted to do more than just work at Uni, i've had enough of that these last however many years. Imperial seems only a step down from Oxbridge, whereas Sussex seems more relaxed.

Also, Imperial hadnt done a lot to impress me when i wrote that, whereas Sussex had really made an impression on me. However, if you read my other post (just above yours :p: ) you will see that the Imperial interview really had an effect on me. *shrug* I'll see how it goes.
Ferchichi
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
MY INTERVIEW WAS SO BAD.

ps-Im the one who turned up 20mins late. LOOOOOOL. great start to the day :P
jam12
Rep:
?
My interview went ok. They started off with NMR, which I has written about in my PS, and continued to ask harder and harder questions untill I didn't have a clue. Other than that, I think I impressed them.
Tbh, I wasn't too keen on the college though. I don't really like London actually, it just seems like a city in a different country compared to the east midlands :P . Too many foreigners etc. Although if I get an offer of ABB, it will be hard to turn down the so-called 5th best university in the world. Then again, its very expensive to live in London.

I can't wait to see Nottingham and Warwick University though. I'll probably go to one of those since the Campus's seems to be a lot more 'clean' looking and also rural......depending if I get an offer first!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (154)
59.46%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.17%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.37%

Watched Threads