Have dinosaur bones been carbon-dated?

Watch this thread
peckingorder321
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Are dinosaur bones really millions of years old?

UPDATE: In 2012, some Mesozoic dinosaur bones were carbon dated and found to be less than 50 000 years old. However, the authorities did not like the result, so they censored them. Below is part of the letter that they sent to the scientists who did the carbon dating:

The interpretation which you present in your abstract is that the age of various dinosaurs, previously interpreted as being Mesozoic in age, are less than -50 000 years. You report that these ages were calculated using C-14 methods. There is obviously in error in these data. The abstract was apparently not reviewed properly and was accepted in error. For this reason we have exercised our authority as program chairs and rescinded the abstract. The abstract will no longer appear on the AOGS website.
Cora Lindsay
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
No point

1. Too old- all C-14 has decayed

2. Fossils have the organic components replaced by minerals so contain no original carbon
username2763536
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
they don't carbon date dinosaur bones because carbon dating is only for things up to tens of thousands of years old. Dinosaurs were much older so they would have used another method like uranium-lead dating or something similar.
DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
https://science.howstuffworks.com/en...r-bone-age.htm
Drummond
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by peckingorder321)
Are dinosaur bones really millions of years old?
You try finding someone over 6 or 7 years of age who believes dinosaurs ever existed.
peckingorder321
Rep:
(Original post by Drummond)
You try finding someone over 6 or 7 years of age who believes dinosaurs ever existed.
You're kidding. What did Mary Anning find then?
username2763536
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
They did exist.Hence why you can go to the museum and see their skeletons.Nobody serious disputes their existence.
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I love this almost as much as I love Ancient Astronaut Theory.

Isn't it called "Compressed History" or "New Chronology" or something - the idea that what we regard as ancient history actually happened much more recently and the Dark Ages were much much shorter than people think. Like the Romans were only a few hundred years ago, and dinosaurs and cavemen were around at the same time like in the old movies.
peckingorder321
Rep:
(Original post by Robby2312)
They did exist.Hence why you can go to the museum and see their skeletons.Nobody serious disputes their existence.
I had not heard of the theory that dinosaurs never existed until today. It is odd that not one single dinosaur fossil was discovered before 1800, then suddenly whole skeletons were found.
username2763536
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I had not heard of the theory that dinosaurs never existed until today. It is odd that not one single dinosaur fossil was discovered before 1800, then suddenly whole skeletons were found.
They did discover them.They just attributed them wrong.For example one guy found a giant femur bone and he attributed it to a race of giant humans which is obviously incorrect.Or they attributed them to mythological creatures.If you want to know where the idea of dragons came from fossilized dinosaurs is probably a good place to start.You have to remember that back then creationism was the dominant theory.It was only when Darwin came along with his theory of evolution and human origins that things began to fall into place.Those fossils are not dragons or giant humans but just another long dead animal.
peckingorder321
Rep:
They did discover them.They just attributed them wrong.For example one guy found a giant femur bone and he attributed it to a race of giant humans which is obviously incorrect.Or they attributed them to mythological creatures.If you want to know where the idea of dragons came from fossilized dinosaurs is probably a good place to start.You have to remember that back then creationism was the dominant theory.It was only when Darwin came along with his theory of evolution and human origins that things began to fall into place.Those fossils are not dragons or giant humans but just another long dead animal.
Why are giant humans obviously incorrect? How tall were they? 7ft?
Drummond
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Straight up. We could plant a chilli plant seed tomorrow and when it first sprouts in a couple of weeks we could take a sample, carbon date it, and the result would come back 50 million years and we would think, wait a minute, i just planted that 2 weeks ago. Carbon dating is the most inaccurate measuring method known to man, its potluck what comes back, just the same as throwing a ball in a roulette wheel.

No complete dinosaur has ever been found, what they do is find a rib from a giraffe for example and then rotate it around and think to themselves, how could we use this to come up with a new dinosaur. Or they might find a crocodile tooth and then say its a dinosaur tooth and then fabricate a whole skeletal prediction from the croc tooth.

Nobody ever finds dinosaurs apart from museum dinosaur hunters who are going out in search of pre-planted dinosaur skeletons which are not made of bone. Its all a big hoax to make us believe that we live in a world which is beyond six thousand years old.

Fossils can be made in weeks.
username2763536
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Why are giant humans obviously incorrect? How tall were they? 7ft?
Well if you mistake a dinosaurs femur bone for a human femur bone then obviously the human would be much bigger than 7ft.He thought it belonged to actual giants.And as giants are mythological it's obviously incorrect.
username2763536
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Straight up. We could plant a chilli plant seed tomorrow and when it first sprouts in a couple of weeks we could take a sample, carbon date it, and the result would come back 50 million years and we would think, wait a minute, i just planted that 2 weeks ago. Carbon dating is the most inaccurate measuring method known to man, its potluck what comes back, just the same as throwing a ball in a roulette wheel.

No complete dinosaur has ever been found, what they do is find a rib from a giraffe for example and then rotate it around and think to themselves, how could we use this to come up with a new dinosaur. Or they might find a crocodile tooth and then say its a dinosaur tooth and then fabricate a whole skeletal prediction from the croc tooth.

Nobody ever finds dinosaurs apart from museum dinosaur hunters who are going out in search of pre-planted dinosaur skeletons which are not made of bone. Its all a big hoax to make us believe that we live in a world which is beyond six thousand years old.

Fossils can be made in weeks.
That's all ********.Do you even know how people got to the 6 thousand figure? Some obscure bishop added up all the lives of people in the bible.Thats obviously a very accurate way of determine ages.Much more accurate than using uranium-lead dating, carbon dating or ice core and dendrochronological records.
ageshallnot
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
No point arguing with Drummond - he's a religious zealot who believes only the Bible.
peckingorder321
Rep:
Well if you mistake a dinosaurs femur bone for a human femur bone then obviously the human would be much bigger than 7ft.He thought it belonged to actual giants.And as giants are mythological it's obviously incorrect.
Exactly how big was the femur bone? Has it been carbon dated?
Drummond
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
No point arguing with Drummond - he's a religious zealot who believes only the Bible.
I'm not religious.
ageshallnot
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I'm not religious.
But did you not previously express the belief that the Bible was correct in every detail?
Drummond
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
But did you not previously express the belief that the Bible was correct in every detail?
That doesn't make me religious. Religion is not of God, its the works of man.

And i'm no more a zealot than you are an evolutionary zealot, only what i'm saying is the truth and what you are saying is not the truth.
ageshallnot
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
That doesn't make me religious. Religion is not of God, its the works of man.

And i'm no more a zealot than you are an evolutionary zealot, only what i'm saying is the truth and what you are saying is not the truth.
Like I said above there is no point in arguing with you. I advise everyone simply to ignore you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (112)
68.29%
No (34)
20.73%
I didn't use it to prepare (18)
10.98%

Watched Threads