The Student Room Group

english help simile

how can i analyse the quote ".....it stared into the light with eyes dead white and sightless as the eggs of spiders"

i know its a simile but that's all i have . i also want to talk about the adjective phrase "dead white"
Semantic field of death - words which associate with death white dead sightless i would talk about the emphasis on this and talk about what type words are to add dead white again is the emphasis on the couloir so whatever this was I would say that the writer is setting the story out for us etc horror
Talk about also the dead white sightless and how he/she is not what human which stares add a few connotations etc Frankenstein a character with no morality same here
Reply 3
Here's a few things to think about

Light, white indicates purity
Dead usually is connected with black in the UK.

But then the piece talks about eggs of spiders so indicating birth

In my opinion it is inferred that there is cycle of life, when something dies there is birth as well, as a spider has many eggs.

It could also indicate although sightless now, the eyes were still be reborn like the spiders eggs.
Reply 4
Original post by rachelleemasalaa
Semantic field of death - words which associate with death white dead sightless i would talk about the emphasis on this and talk about what type words are to add dead white again is the emphasis on the couloir so whatever this was I would say that the writer is setting the story out for us etc horror

thank you so much xxx
Np x I'm in year 10 btw

Quick Reply

Latest