Rxmxi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have no idea how to answer the question, but was thinking along the lines that like is soluble in like??
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks in advance!

A chemist prepares and analyses some esters.
(a) The chemist prepares an ester of propan-2-ol, CH3CH(OH)CH3, by reacting CH3CH(OH)CH3 with ethanoic anhydride, (CH3CO)2O.

B) A sample contains a mixture of two esters contaminated with an alkane and an alcohol.
The chemist attempts to separate the four organic compounds in the mixture using gas chromatography, GC.

The column in the gas chromatograph contains a liquid alkane which acts as the stationary phase.
Suggest how well these four compounds would be separated using the alkane stationary phase. In your answer, include some indication of the length of the retention times.
rachelleemasalaa
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I recommend you going onto GSCE SCIENCE free lessons and watching his video 👀 it's the guy with the blue green screen you'll understand after doing sob
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
"Like dissolves like" is a good starting point for it, and means your alkane contaminant will likely be retained longest. Depending on the esters and alcohol you should get reasonable separation - and their order will be determined by boiling point with such a non-polar stationary phase.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (15)
25.86%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
6.9%
No I am happy with my choice (36)
62.07%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5.17%

Watched Threads