The Student Room Group

Leyton Sixth Form College or Havering Sixth Form College?

I’m not sure which college to choose...
which one is
- better
- has good teachers
- good environment
- what are the students like?
Also I’m choosing A Level English Lit, Graphic Design and BTEC Music performance.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Here's a comparison of the two comparing the average point score per academic entry (Average A-Level Results): (National Average - 32.11)

Leyton Sixth Form College - 26.63
Havering Sixth Form College - 24.19

Looking at these statistics. Leyton does come out on top for getting better results for its students but keep in mind, not by too much.
I've been to both colleges, Havering is less crowded than Leyton, looks more clean and the facilities are great.
HOWEVER, it's not all about the looks. Leyton may be a bit crowded and always busy, in terms of education (lessons teachers and courses) they are unbeatable, I gained so much in LSC and I'll always be thankful for the massive support they got there.
I rather go to Leyton than to HC.
Reply 4
Original post by pumpkinriot
I've been to both colleges, Havering is less crowded than Leyton, looks more clean and the facilities are great.
HOWEVER, it's not all about the looks. Leyton may be a bit crowded and always busy, in terms of education (lessons teachers and courses) they are unbeatable, I gained so much in LSC and I'll always be thankful for the massive support they got there.
I rather go to Leyton than to HC.

What about the students? Like are a majority of them well behaved?
(Sorry I'm new to this and idk how to quote lols)
Well, at Havering,majority British-Essex kids, but of course you'll find kids from different culture and race, everyone was very friendly during the year I was there,don't really recall going home upset because of the people there. People in Havering minded very well their business, I was quiet shocked.
In Leyton: well, a very mixed race college for sure, big majority of Muslim people, and lots of people from others countries, so if you're a foreigner like me, for sure you'll find your gang and fit in quicker.
The main different between them (noticed by me of course lol) and that people from Havering usually hang more with themselves ( for example: I was doing a science course and I only see science kids hanging out with science kids) while in Leyton people got more around,I had friends from all different types of courses in Leyton, while in Havering, people didn't mixed much. The only complaint about Leyton will be he cantine: worst place for your lunchtime, people shouting like crazy for no reason, I hated lunchtimes in the cantine, but that's the only think bad about it.
Irrelevant things: Leyton always do trips to Paris ( sometimes Disneyland) Italy, New York and even China ( every year they pick a country but those are the most popular ones). Lunchtime clubs always happen there, like Art Clubs, Languages and so on. The college is really big, cantine is massive and the library is amazing, they even have a gym that you can use it for free.
In Havering,THE FOOD IS TERRIBLE OMG luckily there are lots of kebabs shop around that area, a gigantic Tesco, subway and KFC around. And again avoid the cantine during lunchtime, is hell. Security is the front are a bit tidy, they see you 100x a day and still they ask you for your ID, its so annoying. Laptops are a bit slow, but nothing massive.
Cary on with the reviews, go to the open days, see which one is the better choice for you. Hope you pick the right one for you.
Going to be 100% bias since I attend the college now but go Leyton! It's massively diverse and no matter who you are you will make a friend! I have so many groups that are from different classes, this is completely different to secondary school where everyone had their 1 group and stuck to it lol. You will literally meet new people everyday. Funny enough I know about 3 people min from these three subjects you’ve picked and I only do one of them lol. The school is basically a taste of University as it's large, you have frees where you can do anything, and you don't have teachers dishing you detentions. It's a very independent setting meaning all the things you do are down to you and if you are in trouble they will talk to you, not really your parents (unless you've done something extremely abnormal). They won't tag you on and peresist you give in work, it all really falls down to you and if you can controll yourself and have your own discipline. Its massively different to secondary school. If your absent to very many lessons they will call you in for a meeting and can easily get you sent out though, but that's really the only discipline I see.

Yep the school has very many trips that are open to everyone. I've never been to one but i wish i did, they tend to be discounted by a lot. (dubai, go ape, ice scating, university's, new york) Laptops the library laptops are slow, no doubt, but they also have ipads and like 50 computers fully air conditioned sooooo. In graphic design they only use the macs and mac books so you're 100% fine. All computers in the art department are macs, and the music department also have a little room for producing music on macs. The college has a lot of equipment from computers, practise rooms, library, charging lockers, free gym, sports activities and groups like trampolining, badminton, basketball for girls and boys ectect. They even have a mental health room if your feeling down to talk to a councilor in private. You can also retake your GCSE English language and maths if you fail it (well its by force). They have a nice system for people with autism too which doesn't make them feel like outsiders and there’s lifts everywhere for the less able

I study Music performance and it's challenging but awesome. The course has 100% benefited me as a musician as I gained a lot of confidence and adventured a lot more into different genres and I learnt many techniques. Just make sure you know who you are in your music taste and make sure you're heard in whatever decision you make lol. You must demanad what you want to be taken serious (not in a hard headed way). The course is awesome it's literally just writing a few music diaries, a very little bit of research, and performing in 6/7 school concerts i(which feels amazing). Just know this course isn’t here to teach you anything, but to give you the opportunity to improve your performance. They will not teach you theory, it’s very dependent on what level you are musically and it’s your choice if you want to become a better musician. But through practices and having a lot of experience performing to large and small crowds, you automatically improve anyhow. Hearing the older years (y13) play really influenced me to do my own learning and research outside of class. Little promo but check our their youtube page where they post a lot of the concerts and live recordings (Leyton Expressive Arts//Leyton Live..this could be you:smile:

Teachers wise, I am not going to lie to you, the graphics teacher is hated on a lot LOOOOOOL but you can make your way though it if you really love the subject, just like people have done for the years,,who knows he might retire? Music you have different teachers every lesson, there all cool and know what they’re talking about, some come from the industry and some just focus on theory. English..ummm no much of an idea but I don’t hear my English teachers complaining so yeah. I retook English and had a really cool guy, there’s many teachers though.

Environment. The street isn’t the best during lunch if you have social anxiety as it actually feels like a cat walk and you’re being judged. But if you make yourself busy person during lunch you wouldn’t really care. As I said many different people. Know who you are and you’ll attract the right people like you. The street will have the loudeset and baitest people by far, but there’s more to the college then the street as you can chill in some departments if the class is free and you can even practise in the music department as a band or by yourself. You can even record in the studio is cool.

Last one. Leyton’s food is great idk what she's on about (their cookies are everything!!!!!!!sldkfjsh) But If your picky there a local everything.chicken n chips, pizza hit, kfc, costa, greggs, mcdonalds, (wow this sounds unhealthy giving myself away) tesco..your own pack lunch is fine too lol. Security are doing their job, you need your ladyard to get in, so if you do apply just know they take the photo the day you apply (I went on results day, go early the lines long!) soo try and look presentable because you’re stuck with it for the 2 years (or more depending on how college goes for you). As you know the grades there are the best in london (against colleges), and if you do fail a subject they have fast track courses that you can complete in 1 year so you don’t have to stay an extra year (this is what I was referring too when I said more than 2 years). They have a ATM where you can withdraw £5 notes is that not super convenient? They also have great bursary for travel, school equipment and free lunch, so if you fall for it, just apply for the free money pls.

Oh there’s an audition for the music dept. which is most likely fused with your overall college interview, so that’s a heads up, it’s quite laid back though lol.

Ask anything, I really don’t mind answering!
Reply 8
Original post by wthecreator
Going to be 100% bias since I attend the college now but go Leyton! It's massively diverse and no matter who you are you will make a friend! I have so many groups that are from different classes, this is completely different to secondary school where everyone had their 1 group and stuck to it lol. You will literally meet new people everyday. Funny enough I know about 3 people min from these three subjects you’ve picked and I only do one of them lol. The school is basically a taste of University as it's large, you have frees where you can do anything, and you don't have teachers dishing you detentions. It's a very independent setting meaning all the things you do are down to you and if you are in trouble they will talk to you, not really your parents (unless you've done something extremely abnormal). They won't tag you on and peresist you give in work, it all really falls down to you and if you can controll yourself and have your own discipline. Its massively different to secondary school. If your absent to very many lessons they will call you in for a meeting and can easily get you sent out though, but that's really the only discipline I see.

Yep the school has very many trips that are open to everyone. I've never been to one but i wish i did, they tend to be discounted by a lot. (dubai, go ape, ice scating, university's, new york) Laptops the library laptops are slow, no doubt, but they also have ipads and like 50 computers fully air conditioned sooooo. In graphic design they only use the macs and mac books so you're 100% fine. All computers in the art department are macs, and the music department also have a little room for producing music on macs. The college has a lot of equipment from computers, practise rooms, library, charging lockers, free gym, sports activities and groups like trampolining, badminton, basketball for girls and boys ectect. They even have a mental health room if your feeling down to talk to a councilor in private. You can also retake your GCSE English language and maths if you fail it (well its by force). They have a nice system for people with autism too which doesn't make them feel like outsiders and there’s lifts everywhere for the less able

I study Music performance and it's challenging but awesome. The course has 100% benefited me as a musician as I gained a lot of confidence and adventured a lot more into different genres and I learnt many techniques. Just make sure you know who you are in your music taste and make sure you're heard in whatever decision you make lol. You must demanad what you want to be taken serious (not in a hard headed way). The course is awesome it's literally just writing a few music diaries, a very little bit of research, and performing in 6/7 school concerts i(which feels amazing). Just know this course isn’t here to teach you anything, but to give you the opportunity to improve your performance. They will not teach you theory, it’s very dependent on what level you are musically and it’s your choice if you want to become a better musician. But through practices and having a lot of experience performing to large and small crowds, you automatically improve anyhow. Hearing the older years (y13) play really influenced me to do my own learning and research outside of class. Little promo but check our their youtube page where they post a lot of the concerts and live recordings (Leyton Expressive Arts//Leyton Live..this could be you:smile:

Teachers wise, I am not going to lie to you, the graphics teacher is hated on a lot LOOOOOOL but you can make your way though it if you really love the subject, just like people have done for the years,,who knows he might retire? Music you have different teachers every lesson, there all cool and know what they’re talking about, some come from the industry and some just focus on theory. English..ummm no much of an idea but I don’t hear my English teachers complaining so yeah. I retook English and had a really cool guy, there’s many teachers though.

Environment. The street isn’t the best during lunch if you have social anxiety as it actually feels like a cat walk and you’re being judged. But if you make yourself busy person during lunch you wouldn’t really care. As I said many different people. Know who you are and you’ll attract the right people like you. The street will have the loudeset and baitest people by far, but there’s more to the college then the street as you can chill in some departments if the class is free and you can even practise in the music department as a band or by yourself. You can even record in the studio is cool.

Last one. Leyton’s food is great idk what she's on about (their cookies are everything!!!!!!!sldkfjsh) But If your picky there a local everything.chicken n chips, pizza hit, kfc, costa, greggs, mcdonalds, (wow this sounds unhealthy giving myself away) tesco..your own pack lunch is fine too lol. Security are doing their job, you need your ladyard to get in, so if you do apply just know they take the photo the day you apply (I went on results day, go early the lines long!) soo try and look presentable because you’re stuck with it for the 2 years (or more depending on how college goes for you). As you know the grades there are the best in london (against colleges), and if you do fail a subject they have fast track courses that you can complete in 1 year so you don’t have to stay an extra year (this is what I was referring too when I said more than 2 years). They have a ATM where you can withdraw £5 notes is that not super convenient? They also have great bursary for travel, school equipment and free lunch, so if you fall for it, just apply for the free money pls.

Oh there’s an audition for the music dept. which is most likely fused with your overall college interview, so that’s a heads up, it’s quite laid back though lol.

Ask anything, I really don’t mind answering!

In terms of facilities and students which would be better?
Facillities vs students? I don't understand how you can compare to different areas like that lol. With facilities they have a lot to offer you in terms of equipment, free areas, support system, extra cerricular like performing arts (they do a big musical every year this time it's the wiz and you don't have to be a acting student), poetry club, maths n englsih resit guidance, ambassador things, bursary, DoE and clubs during lunch like christian union, there's random things in the street like health things where they talk about hair care, sex things, company's come in and do challenges and there's competitions on the street sometimes, free gym and tournaments, a lot of pc's and macs, free rooms, prayer room, a lot of teachers for guidance, music dept has what it needs but i wouldn't compare it to a college that focuses on music and arts like the brits and elam.

With students I can't generalise the whole college because there's about 2,300 students and i see new faces everyday. There's a lot of loud people in the streets during lunch mostly (makes sense..) , there's the quiet people too who find places to do whatever. You'll always find them everywhere so i don't see why that should hinder what school you go to. If you have a mindset that you're going to do work you'll do it. Many people get shocked that i went LSC and gave the assumption i'd just be messing about as most colleges have a bad stigma attached to it.. that it's for lazy people who just do btecs lol. But i know my self, and many other people are similar to me too. It's like a taster of university so if you're scared of this then idk..you should use it as some sort of experience to get ready for higher education because you won' t like everyone you meet. In my classes depending on the subject people do work and you're not going to find every classroom with screaming youth because its a college ha.. But yeah I hope I guided you to your answer because i myself can't compare people with facilities it just seems weird.
I’m thinking of applying for Leyton Sixth Form College or NewVic Sixth Form College but I don’t know which one to choose ( I’m currently in Year 11)
Original post by RuqiyyaXOX
I’m thinking of applying for Leyton Sixth Form College or NewVic Sixth Form College but I don’t know which one to choose ( I’m currently in Year 11)

Reading through this thread it sounds like Leyton is your best bet. However, I've been told by teachers at my school that NewVic is also a great contender. I personally want that 'uni-like' feeling and Leyton sounds really promising.
Reply 12
So what did you pick? I'm in a similar situation right now :biggrin: I'm more worried about the safety of the area in general
Original post by lizloe
So what did you pick? I'm in a similar situation right now :biggrin: I'm more worried about the safety of the area in general

I chose NewVic, it's a really nice place. I have friends who attend Leyton and they think it's a good school too
Hi Lizloe (and anyone else thinking of the sameI have been accepted for Leyton and had some concerns about safety in the area, did you manage to find out anything more?Any info from anyone appreciated.
Reply 15
Original post by OneNOnly
Hi Lizloe (and anyone else thinking of the sameI have been accepted for Leyton and had some concerns about safety in the area, did you manage to find out anything more?Any info from anyone appreciated.

Hey, I'm sorry I actually haven't heard anything more. In the end I didn't apply since my parents personally advised against it. I don't think the area is too bad but I'm not too sure. I would defo look at reviews of the school, and maybe continue trying to find info about the safety there :smile:. If i do find anything out though, I'll be sure to let you know
Original post by lizloe
Hey, I'm sorry I actually haven't heard anything more. In the end I didn't apply since my parents personally advised against it. I don't think the area is too bad but I'm not too sure. I would defo look at reviews of the school, and maybe continue trying to find info about the safety there :smile:. If i do find anything out though, I'll be sure to let you know

Great thanks!
Original post by RuqiyyaXOX
I chose NewVic, it's a really nice place. I have friends who attend Leyton and they think it's a good school too

Does Newvic have good teachers for the following A-levels: English Lit, geography and econ? Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest