The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leeds nightlife/social life?

I am currently looking at universities to apply for and was wondering if anyone from Leeds university could give me some insight in to what the nightlife/social life is like there? (Is it campus uni or not? Are there lots of decent clubs and events? What is the sports like etc).

The course I would be doing is computer science/software engineering, so if anyone has any experience with this course at Leeds, would also be interesting to hear from them.

Any help would be great, thanks.
Original post by Liamw1998
I am currently looking at universities to apply for and was wondering if anyone from Leeds university could give me some insight in to what the nightlife/social life is like there? (Is it campus uni or not? Are there lots of decent clubs and events? What is the sports like etc).

The course I would be doing is computer science/software engineering, so if anyone has any experience with this course at Leeds, would also be interesting to hear from them.

Leeds has a great nightlife (lots of clubs and bars), the uni of campus is all in one place for the academic buildings and some of the uni accommodation and then there is uni accommodation is other parts of the city, the campus is about a 10 minute walk from the city centre

There are lots of sports societies and leeds vs beckett has varsity every year which is popular
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Nightlife: University of Leeds is a campus uni spread over a hill at the top of Leeds. The whole uni is about a mile square.

The university has 1 main club night on a Friday called Fruity. It's awesome. It's spread over 3 rooms: The main room, Stylus plays chart hits and some 90's/00's classics. There's an indie room and a rock room, and 2 smoking areas. There are two bars in the union as well, Old Bar which is more chill, and Terrace which is the warm up room for Fruity.

Leeds Beckett is right next to Leeds University, with Fuel on a Friday night, which plays alt rock.

Then you have Leeds city centre. There must be well over 50 bars and clubs, with drinks of varying prices depending on who they're marketing to. For metal/alt rock/live bands, you want Key club by the merrion; for hip hop/disco/soul you want HiFi; for generic club music you want Canal Mills or Warehouse; if you want generic pop and to meet the locals, go for Tiger Tiger, Yates, PRYZM and Pop World; If you want indie pop go for Attic at Propoganda; for gay nights try Cloud 9, Viaduct and Fibre; for all your drug needs For go to Beaverworks; for house I think its Mission II. Those are just the clubs.

There are tons of bars in Leeds with loud music to cater for all tastes: try Call Lane, Lower Briggate and for nice cocktails and a 'posher' atmosphere try Greek St and beyond. There's an over 21's night in a bar called Angelica's in the top of Leeds Trinity that has a gorgeous balcony overlooking the city and speciality cocktails.

There are also tons of pubs around campus that do student deals: The Library, Eldon, Packhorse, Fenton, Strawbs, and Dry Dock.

There are 360+ university run societies and constant events at the uni. They have theatre, dance shows, comedy nights, awards ceremonies, etc. There are like 100 different sports societies, and if they don't have what you're looking for you can apply to make your own. Leeds is a rugby heavy city, though they're well up for football too with Kirkstall (about 20-30 mins from uni) having 13 full and 1/2 size astroturf pitches to rent out. There's loads of martial arts socs, any team sport you can think of can be done with the union and they have gym and trampolining societies. You also get free basic entry to the edge gym with your accomodation. People take the sports societies pretty seriously, but they're also really open to beginners. Also join snowboarding because they have tons of money as a society and their first social generally includes about 60l of vodka for free.

My boyfriend did a masters in Maths and computer science and had a few lectures with the comsci undergrads. He said it's really helpful to comsci if you like maths and have a really analytical way of thinking about things. He was also given full marks in one assignment for proving that the question was wrong. He really, really enjoyed it, though he was only there for one year. One of my flatmates in first year did her comsci undergrad at Leeds and she suggests you try and do a year in industry. She's going on to be a backend dev.

If I've learned anything I would say enjoy it. And do a good amount of foundation work in first year so you have a chance of understanding what's going on in second year but as long as you get the fundamentals, d*** about otherwise. You only have to pass first year 50/100.

Also, don't expect other comsci undergrads to be too sociable, my bf says they can be weird and insanely introverted and antisocial, but you'll get a few that want to go out a lot.
Reply 3
Original post by ClassEngStudent
Nightlife: University of Leeds is a campus uni spread over a hill at the top of Leeds. The whole uni is about a mile square.

The university has 1 main club night on a Friday called Fruity. It's awesome. It's spread over 3 rooms: The main room, Stylus plays chart hits and some 90's/00's classics. There's an indie room and a rock room, and 2 smoking areas. There are two bars in the union as well, Old Bar which is more chill, and Terrace which is the warm up room for Fruity.

Leeds Beckett is right next to Leeds University, with Fuel on a Friday night, which plays alt rock.

Then you have Leeds city centre. There must be well over 50 bars and clubs, with drinks of varying prices depending on who they're marketing to. For metal/alt rock/live bands, you want Key club by the merrion; for hip hop/disco/soul you want HiFi; for generic club music you want Canal Mills or Warehouse; if you want generic pop and to meet the locals, go for Tiger Tiger, Yates, PRYZM and Pop World; If you want indie pop go for Attic at Propoganda; for gay nights try Cloud 9, Viaduct and Fibre; for all your drug needs For go to Beaverworks; for house I think its Mission II. Those are just the clubs.

There are tons of bars in Leeds with loud music to cater for all tastes: try Call Lane, Lower Briggate and for nice cocktails and a 'posher' atmosphere try Greek St and beyond. There's an over 21's night in a bar called Angelica's in the top of Leeds Trinity that has a gorgeous balcony overlooking the city and speciality cocktails.

There are also tons of pubs around campus that do student deals: The Library, Eldon, Packhorse, Fenton, Strawbs, and Dry Dock.

There are 360+ university run societies and constant events at the uni. They have theatre, dance shows, comedy nights, awards ceremonies, etc. There are like 100 different sports societies, and if they don't have what you're looking for you can apply to make your own. Leeds is a rugby heavy city, though they're well up for football too with Kirkstall (about 20-30 mins from uni) having 13 full and 1/2 size astroturf pitches to rent out. There's loads of martial arts socs, any team sport you can think of can be done with the union and they have gym and trampolining societies. You also get free basic entry to the edge gym with your accomodation. People take the sports societies pretty seriously, but they're also really open to beginners. Also join snowboarding because they have tons of money as a society and their first social generally includes about 60l of vodka for free.

My boyfriend did a masters in Maths and computer science and had a few lectures with the comsci undergrads. He said it's really helpful to comsci if you like maths and have a really analytical way of thinking about things. He was also given full marks in one assignment for proving that the question was wrong. He really, really enjoyed it, though he was only there for one year. One of my flatmates in first year did her comsci undergrad at Leeds and she suggests you try and do a year in industry. She's going on to be a backend dev.

If I've learned anything I would say enjoy it. And do a good amount of foundation work in first year so you have a chance of understanding what's going on in second year but as long as you get the fundamentals, d*** about otherwise. You only have to pass first year 50/100.

Also, don't expect other comsci undergrads to be too sociable, my bf says they can be weird and insanely introverted and antisocial, but you'll get a few that want to go out a lot.

Great, this has been very helpful. I will probably have to do well in my first year though to ensure I can go on to MEng. And I’m pretty sure the first year counts for that course.

But apart from that, all very useful information and much appreciated
Great, this has been very helpful. I will probably have to do well in my first year though to ensure I can go on to MEng. And I’m pretty sure the first year counts for that course.

But apart from that, all very useful information and much appreciated

Doing well in first year is definitely beneficial. My friend had his first year counted in his overall grade as he struggled through depression in his second and third years. He now has an MPhys.
Reply 5
Doing well in first year is definitely beneficial. My friend had his first year counted in his overall grade as he struggled through depression in his second and third years. He now has an MPhys.

Yeah I think due to the fact I only have a BTEC, I will need to apply to the BSc course which means proving myself in the first war to swap on to MEng.
Yeah I think due to the fact I only have a BTEC, I will need to apply to the BSc course which means proving myself in the first war to swap on to MEng.

Fair. If you like to party and chill though, try not to get too sucked into the going out, drinking and drugs culture. I did quite well as I seem to naturally repel anyone who does drugs, but there are a fair few about. Also hear programmers and hackers have a bit of a green rep.
Reply 7
Fair. If you like to party and chill though, try not to get too sucked into the going out, drinking and drugs culture. I did quite well as I seem to naturally repel anyone who does drugs, but there are a fair few about. Also hear programmers and hackers have a bit of a green rep.

Not too keen on the whole drugs scene, been there, done that, I’m over it. I do like a good drink though. I actually find anyone on drugs make me feel uncomfortable, depending how wired they are anyway
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8

And not interested in green either, I used to smoke every day from like 14-18 and not done it at all for 2 years now
Reply 9

Another question I was going to ask is where is the most sociable/best halls? Would ideally like something on campus, self catered and to have my own bathroom, and just to have a laugh
Another question I was going to ask is where is the most sociable/best halls? Would ideally like something on campus, self catered and to have my own bathroom, and just to have a laugh

On campus is tricky. There are limited flats for the intake UoL gets and they're pretty pricey, as well as most being catered. That said there is Henry Price, which is the only self-catered halls on campus. I heard rumours in first year that they had people sharing rooms because they over booked. I have no idea how true that is.

Personally, I would recommend checking out Central Village and CitySide (which are basically on campus), Leodis (10 minutes walk to Parkinson building (max) and 15 minutes to EC Stoner and the School of Computing where I assume labs will be), Montague Burton is on the same hill as Leodis but doesn't have any ensuites as far as I'm aware. Devonshire and James Baillie are in a similar area and both have ensuite rooms, though they're about a 20-25 minute walk from campus.
Reply 11
On campus is tricky. There are limited flats for the intake UoL gets and they're pretty pricey, as well as most being catered. That said there is Henry Price, which is the only self-catered halls on campus. I heard rumours in first year that they had people sharing rooms because they over booked. I have no idea how true that is.

Personally, I would recommend checking out Central Village and CitySide (which are basically on campus), Leodis (10 minutes walk to Parkinson building (max) and 15 minutes to EC Stoner and the School of Computing where I assume labs will be), Montague Burton is on the same hill as Leodis but doesn't have any ensuites as far as I'm aware. Devonshire and James Baillie are in a similar area and both have ensuite rooms, though they're about a 20-25 minute walk from campus.

Do you send off an application and then wait to hear back, for them to then say “well no we stuck you here instead”, or can you see where there is room before applying?
Space is the best nightclub for anarachy, nihilism and drugs
Do you send off an application and then wait to hear back, for them to then say “well no we stuck you here instead”, or can you see where there is room before applying?

The accommodation process is fairly lengthy and comes with your acceptance to the university (should it be the same as when I went 3 years ago). Basically they get you to pick your top 3 that you'd prefer and list a ton of factors that you'd prefer - quiet flatmates, smokers, all male, whatever. They also ask a couple of personal questions so they can try and fit you with like people (this is a VERY rough and ready system that does not always work). Should you hate your accommodation and the people you live with, you have about a week to 2 week's grace to change it, without having to pay to for the flat while they find someone else.
Reply 14
The accommodation process is fairly lengthy and comes with your acceptance to the university (should it be the same as when I went 3 years ago). Basically they get you to pick your top 3 that you'd prefer and list a ton of factors that you'd prefer - quiet flatmates, smokers, all male, whatever. They also ask a couple of personal questions so they can try and fit you with like people (this is a VERY rough and ready system that does not always work). Should you hate your accommodation and the people you live with, you have about a week to 2 week's grace to change it, without having to pay to for the flat while they find someone else.

That sounds BS haha, well hopefully I get decent flat mates.

A social computer science nerd. Now that is something you don't see everyday, even on the internet.
That sounds BS haha, well hopefully I get decent flat mates.

Unless you need to cater for vegetarianism, veganism, disabilites, or germaphobia; you should be okay with pretty much anyone you get. If you get a 'flat mum' or someone who stress cleans you'll be really lucky cause they'll do a lot of the leg work.

https://accommodation.leeds.ac.uk/info/36/transfers_and_leaving/56/making_changes
Yes, the leaving terms are ********, but if you apply to leave early on, none apply.
Reply 17
Unless you need to cater for vegetarianism, veganism, disabilites, or germaphobia; you should be okay with pretty much anyone you get. If you get a 'flat mum' or someone who stress cleans you'll be really lucky cause they'll do a lot of the leg work.

https://accommodation.leeds.ac.uk/info/36/transfers_and_leaving/56/making_changes
Yes, the leaving terms are ********, but if you apply to leave early on, none apply.

Id bloody love getting a flat mum. I talk a good game about not giving a **** if things eat messy but if it stays like that for a long time I want to kill someone

Quick Reply

Latest