legallyblind
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Now I've been taught why enzymes DON'T work well at certain pHs (they get denatured) but not why enzymes DO work best at certain pHs. What does the optimum pH do in particular to get the enzyme to work best? (I do IB HL Biology, btw). I'm trying to write a lab report on my experiment, and I can't progress without understanding this Help, someone?
sportyegg
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The reasoning for why enzymes have optimum pH levels to work at follows the exact same rationale for why they denature at certain pHs; so, an enzyme like pepsin works best in acidic conditions like in the stomach, whilst an enzyme like maltase works best in alkaline conditions such as the small intestine. Due to this the hydrogen bonds that hold together the polypeptide chains in the tertiary structure will not break, thus the chains will not unravel and the active site will not change shape.
Hopefully this helps - if you want any further clarification don’t hesitate to ask me.
legallyblind
Rep:
?
(Original post by sportyegg)
The reasoning for why enzymes have optimum pH levels to work at follows the exact same rationale for why they denature at certain pHs; so, an enzyme like pepsin works best in acidic conditions like in the stomach, whilst an enzyme like maltase works best in alkaline conditions such as the small intestine. Due to this the hydrogen bonds that hold together the polypeptide chains in the tertiary structure will not break, thus the chains will not unravel and the active site will not change shape.
Hopefully this helps - if you want any further clarification don’t hesitate to ask me.
So it's more of the case of the optimum pH being the only pH where it WON'T start to denature, as opposed to it having a special effect like an optimum temperature would on the kinetic energy and therefore enzyme activity?
sportyegg
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Victoria Soh)
So it's more of the case of the optimum pH being the only pH where it WON'T start to denature, as opposed to it having a special effect like an optimum temperature would on the kinetic energy and therefore enzyme activity?
Yup exactly! pH doesn’t affect enzymes in the same way temperature does, thus the only thing that allows for it to be optimum is the fact that it won’t change the polypeptide structure of enzymes.
legallyblind
Rep:
?
(Original post by sportyegg)
Yup exactly! pH doesn’t affect enzymes in the same way temperature does, thus the only thing that allows for it to be optimum is the fact that it won’t change the polypeptide structure of enzymes.
Ayyyy thank you so much you legend!!!!!!
The A-level kid
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
An optimum pH basically tells you when an enzyme works at its most BEST. E.g. Ph7 however that doesnt suddenly mean it will stop working if the ph changed to something like pH 8. It will still work, just not as efficiently. Enzymes work best over a RANGE of pH e.g. 5-9 The purpose of enzymes requiring an ideal pH is because enzymes will maintain their rigidity at their optimal pH, being the perfect fit for substrates molecules & thus enabling the enzyme-substrate complex. A good pH, ideal temperature ensure optimal activity enabling metabolic processes e.g. respiration to work efficiently. If any of these factors changes dramatically, the processes are less effective and thus effects the mechanisms.
sportyegg
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ayyyy thank you so much you legend!!!!!!
No worries!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.26%
I'm not sure (25)
4.46%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (178)
31.73%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.14%
I'm not a current university student (266)
47.42%

Watched Threads