The Student Room Group

Detective Constable Met Police Grad Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jenv
Hi All,

So one of the recruiters for this said that it would open up later this year but no specific dates. Im trying to find out if being successful in getting the PC role would allow to transfer to the detective one when it does open up.

The only requirement to become a DC is to be out of your "probationary period" and "confirmed in rank" - this takes two years. In that time you could study for, and take your NIE (National Investigators Exam) and let the Investigation Departments know about what you want to do. They could essentially line you up a job in investigations ASAP. You could then go on the ICIDP (Detectives Course) from whenever they see fit after your two years.

There's not a single force in the country that aren't begging for DC's, they will literally chop your hand off to recruit you.

I think TVP and Essex are recruiting for PC's at the mo!
Original post by jenv
Hi All,

So one of the recruiters for this said that it would open up later this year but no specific dates. Im trying to find out if being successful in getting the PC role would allow to transfer to the detective one when it does open up.

Hey,

I'm not actually sure what's going on with this. My application status changed recently from thanks for registering to your application has been successfully processed shortly... The detective pathway disappeared for a bit around the same time but the website is showing it again and saying the closing date is the 31st of May when it was the 31st of April and before that it said 31st December and the recruiters don't have any specific information so I have no idea what's happening with this lol

I doubt they'd let you jump over like that to be honest, the application process for both would be different for the the varied roles I think. Best option if you're keen to join the police and aren't sure about the wait would be to apply as a PC and then apply internally after two years to be a detective.
Reply 22
Hey,

I actually went for a pre-asessment day and the guy running it who works for penna said that the application assessment for the DC and the PC roles are the same. He ran the DC one previously. Hope that helps. So it is probably possible to jump into the other one, should it open up later this year.

I have my day 1 assessment tomorrow.
Original post by jenv
Hey,

I actually went for a pre-asessment day and the guy running it who works for penna said that the application assessment for the DC and the PC roles are the same. He ran the DC one previously. Hope that helps. So it is probably possible to jump into the other one, should it open up later this year.

Oh I see, thanks for the info! Hopefully more info at the detective pathway comes out soon so we can attest have an idea of when it's going to start moving

Goodluck with the assessment day :biggrin:
Reply 24
Original post by jenv
Hey,

My friend passed his Day 1 for DC which is exactly like PC but did his Day 2 last month and it is entirely different. It features an in-tray exercise, a stakeholder briefing and another competency interview
Reply 25
Hey guys,Last year it opened on May 31st, and its now saying that the 'register your interest' ends on this date, so hopefully it will fully open in a few weeks!!Does anyone know what the situation about driving licenses is? i know the Essex direct DC route wanted a full license but not sure on the met!
Original post by LarryM1
Hey guys,Last year it opened on May 31st, and its now saying that the 'register your interest' ends on this date, so hopefully it will fully open in a few weeks!!Does anyone know what the situation about driving licenses is? i know the Essex direct DC route wanted a full license but not sure on the met!

Hopefully this is the case! But the "Register your interest" date has been changing since the 31st of December 2017 so it wouldn't surprise me if it just moved further into the future again. As for the driving licence, I don't think it's a requirement for the Met or at least it wasn't mentioned in the info section about the role or during the initial sign up so hopefully not!
Reply 27
Original post by GeoJones94
Hopefully this is the case! But the "Register your interest" date has been changing since the 31st of December 2017 so it wouldn't surprise me if it just moved further into the future again. As for the driving licence, I don't think it's a requirement for the Met or at least it wasn't mentioned in the info section about the role or during the initial sign up so hopefully not!

As far as I am aware, to be a Police Officer you need to have a full driving licence by the time you join. Often, force will stipulate that this is a condition of entry when applying.

Even entry as a Detective, if Armageddon occurred, all the DC's would be turfed out on the streets. Get this sorted to avoid any potential disappointment.
Reply 28
I just spoke to met recruitment and apparently this pathway will be opening up in July. They are just waiting on confirmation of start date in July.
How did it go ?
Reply 30
Original post by Arsenal098765
How did it go ?

Not sure if you were asking me...?

But I'm currently at the detective assessment stage. Just waiting to find out what dates the last assessment will be on.

Have you applied?
Original post by jenv
Not sure if you were asking me...?

But I'm currently at the detective assessment stage. Just waiting to find out what dates the last assessment will be on.

Have you applied?

Guessing stage one? No I haven't.

Any ideas as to what you can expect from the assessment stage ?
Original post by jenv
Not sure if you were asking me...?But I'm currently at the detective assessment stage. Just waiting to find out what dates the last assessment will be on. Have you applied?
Hi! I'm also at the assessment stage - mine is at the end of Feb.

On that note - nevermind lol. I thought you meant day 1 assessment, smh.
(edited 5 years ago)
What is the link to apply for this role? Sounds interesting
Original post by Nellyell123
What is the link to apply for this role? Sounds interesting

You should hurry, pretty sure the closing date is in a few days.

https://policecareers.tal.net/vx/mobile-0/appcentre-External/brand-3/candidate/so/pm/6/pl/1/opp/2070-Trainee-Detective-Constable/en-GB
Reply 35

This role closed ages ago. It was only open for 28 days from June to July this year.

Im waiting on my detective assessment results (day 3). Hoping to get them tomorrow......but probably won't.
It closed few weeks ago because I applied few weeks ago. But I'm confused on the recruitment process for the trainee DC. I've booked my Day 1 assessment centre for March 2019 which seems ages away. But I've heard if you pass then you do the online tests. Usually online tests like verbal and numerical are before the assessment centre.

Also, is it worth me waiting till March for the day 1 assessment or choose an earlier date for it? I wanted to be throughly prepared for it but I'm guessing there are more assessment centre stages so rather get Day 1 out of the way and quicken the process if that makes sense?
My bad, that was the wrong link.

The role closes tomorrow - as with the PC role.

The apply button is at the bottom of the page.

https://policecareers.tal.net/vx/lang-en-GB/mobile-0/appcentre-3/brand-3/xf-995a3a98451f/candidate/so/pm/6/pl/1/opp/3223-Trainee-Detective-Constable/en-GB

Also, how has the process been so far? I'm pretty anxious about it.

Original post by jenv
This role closed ages ago. It was only open for 28 days from June to July this year.

Im waiting on my detective assessment results (day 3). Hoping to get them tomorrow......but probably won't.
Nope, still open.

My day 1 is before yours, late Feb. Did you get the Framework in an email yet? I was told I would but I haven't received it yet...

Original post by harjotdhami
It closed few weeks ago because I applied few weeks ago. But I'm confused on the recruitment process for the trainee DC. I've booked my Day 1 assessment centre for March 2019 which seems ages away. But I've heard if you pass then you do the online tests. Usually online tests like verbal and numerical are before the assessment centre.

Also, is it worth me waiting till March for the day 1 assessment or choose an earlier date for it? I wanted to be throughly prepared for it but I'm guessing there are more assessment centre stages so rather get Day 1 out of the way and quicken the process if that makes sense?
Original post by hindasaireh23
Nope, still open.

My day 1 is before yours, late Feb. Did you get the Framework in an email yet? I was told I would but I haven't received it yet...

Yeah I got the email after 2 mins of booking the slot

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending