The Student Room Group

Applied criminal Law

Hello

I really need help in this scenario question.

Everyone is telling me a different answer and it's worth 100% my the module grade

If anyone knows how to solve it help me please.

Ahmed is 85 years old and is quite frail. Ahmed is queuing to post a birthday card to his girlfriend at the post office. Ahmed is feeling unwell as he has forgotten to take some of his blood pressure medication.
Susie enters the post office and she is furious as she has not received her winter fuel allowance payment, Susie is determined to get her money today, and so pushes to the front of the queue.
In doing so, Susie knocks over Jo queuing for her unemployment benefit. Jo falls onto Ahmed who in turn falls over. Susie leaves the post office.
Meanwhile, Ahmed goes into severe hypertension, and again collapses, Ahmed is taken to hospital where he is seen by Dr Boroman.
Dr Boroman places Ahmed under observation. Unfortunately, Ahmed contracts a chest infection and is placed onto a ventilator.
Dr Boroman is too busy to keep checking on Ahmed regularly, he fails to notice that the ventilator tube has become blocked. Ahmed dies of asphyxia.

Advise the parties of their respective liabilities and any potential defences.
Reply 1
You should take each potential defendant in turn and deal with each of their crimes separately. Form conclusions for each as you go through.

Follow the structures you have been taught and deal with everything in that way. Aye the discreet issues too (defences, intoxication etc).

For each crime make sure you apply the law and case law (especially for elements of the AR and MR). Remember Ghosh (or Ives if applicable) for dishonesty where necessary.

Make sure you use the IRAC approach too.
Agree with Mimir.

You get marks simply for identifying the area of law that the examiner is testing.

The IRAC structure is great for presenting your answer. I would deal with liability first and then defences.

Also - only include journal articles when the area of law is uncertain e.g. mens rea of murder. And even then, do not quote the authors name in the body of the text - put it in the footnotes.

Pvt msg me if you need any advice re structure etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending