The Student Room Group

Afraid of growing up

I'm a 19-year-old girl and already afraid of growing up. I feel there's a lot of pressure to behave a certain way when you turn a certain age. I'm frustrated because I feel I haven't done a lot of things I wanted while growing up because of personal issues and now I'm expected to be this serious adult that I'm not. Like I should now be what everyone expects me to be and I just feel bad because I cant be who I really am. I don't know if I will be able to handle all of what growing up means. I'm scared of my parents dying and things changing. On top of everything, I've suffered from depression, anxiety, and OCD all my life so I've always felt alone and dependent. When I was 17 I wanted to move out (I still live with my parents btw) you know the typical wish of having no rules and do whatever I want, but know I just feel that I'll lose the last stability I still have in my life, my family. My parents were always overprotective so maybe that's the reason why I feel the way I do, idk. tbh, I'm scared. I've gone through a lot already growing up these years and I don't know if I'll have the strength to keep going.
Just take it a little bit at a time and slowly develop your independence and adulthood.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a 19-year-old girl and already afraid of growing up. I feel there's a lot of pressure to behave a certain way when you turn a certain age. I'm frustrated because I feel I haven't done a lot of things I wanted while growing up because of personal issues and now I'm expected to be this serious adult that I'm not. Like I should now be what everyone expects me to be and I just feel bad because I cant be who I really am. I don't know if I will be able to handle all of what growing up means. I'm scared of my parents dying and things changing. On top of everything, I've suffered from depression, anxiety, and OCD all my life so I've always felt alone and dependent. When I was 17 I wanted to move out (I still live with my parents btw) you know the typical wish of having no rules and do whatever I want, but know I just feel that I'll lose the last stability I still have in my life, my family. My parents were always overprotective so maybe that's the reason why I feel the way I do, idk. tbh, I'm scared. I've gone through a lot already growing up these years and I don't know if I'll have the strength to keep going.

Sounds like you’re more fearful of responsibility and failure than worries you cant be yourself. The fear of responsibility and managing on your own likely does have a great deal to do with your parents being overprotective. My parents have always had a loose grip on me and I’ve lived on my own since I was about 17/18, so I feel very confidently independent (nearly 20 now). And my personality is in no way mature, but I can be mature when I need to be.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm really scared of "growing up" too. :console: I'm getting on and still act like a huge kid. Sure, I have a job, spouse, pet, car, and rent a house but I don't feel almost 30 and responsible inside. I feel like I'm 15. I guess it's just something that will come over time (or at least that's what I hope), your parents being overprotective has probably had an impact on you, my parents were too. I would say that you don't have to act a certain way just because of your age - I have a punk haircut and dress like I'm a teenager, that's how I'm comfortable, there's no "age-police" who'll come arrest you for not conforming. If you want to feel more adult then try to do more adult things? Maybe arrange a trip with your mates, staying overnight in a hotel or other town or something? :dontknow: Tbh I think a lot of people feel exactly the same as you.
I feel you cuz I feel the same

Quick Reply

Latest