GENDERS! ... Let’s be honest, there’s only two. Watch

Daveboi115
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Feel free to discuss this issue here. Persuade or change opinions, or just lay out your best ideas as to why it’s right/wrong!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Relentas
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Correct.
HighFructose
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I identify as an alpha chopper so there's 3.
Daveboi115
Rep:
?
Fantastic! Now if we can just find someone who disagrees we could have a stimulating conversation lol.
Daveboi115
Rep:
?
(Original post by HighFructose)
I identify as a alpha chopper so there's 3.
Well I apologise for missing the obvious other ones I assumed, alpha chopper, broccoli quiche and unicorn dust were implied!
Relentas
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
genderˈdʒɛndə/noun
  1. 1.the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones)."traditional concepts of gender"

Just gonna leave this here.
wastedcuriosity
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think there's a difference between sex and gender. There's two biological sexes but more genders. I don't really understand what the other genders are, but I think for some people it's more than just black and white, for example non binary
mundosinfin
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Seriously? Even if you want to be all biological like that (and the word you're looking for is sex, not gender in this case), there are way more combinations of chromosomes other than XX (female) and XY (male), and there are also intersex people.
I haven't even started on the 'genders' that you think are fake (non binary, genderqueer etc) but you're already proved to be wrong
m005eman
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tbh, I believe biologically, there is only two genders, but believe people can identify as what they want, mainly cus i really couldn't care less,
mundosinfin
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
And even if you don't believe in the other genders (sounds kinda stupid) I don't understand how you would know they don't exist as you've never stood in their shoes
LaChataliers
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
im gendervoid foxkin demiqueer > what u saying !!!!
tizzaclaire98
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There are a lot of biological conditions which cause non-binary gender, Klinefelter Syndrome, Tetrasomy X, Androgen insensitivity syndrome, Mixed gonadal dysgenesis, 5α-reductase deficiency etc etc. A lot of these can be difficult to diagnose and only affect gender dysphoria. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are some people who jump on the bandwagon, but there are also people who LITERALLY aren't male or female.
username3673796
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Name:  45d6108487a554a09fb68e25c1802ff7_original.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  45.6 KB

[Watched Thread]
I like chicken
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well tbh a lecture taught me that sex and gender are different. Sex is assigned at birth whilst gender is a social concept.
LaChataliers
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Name:  welvan da.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  5.0 KB
Daveboi115
Rep:
?
(Original post by mundosinfin)
Seriously? Even if you want to be all biological like that (and the word you're looking for is sex, not gender in this case), there are way more combinations of chromosomes other than XX (female) and XY (male), and there are also intersex people.
I haven't even started on the 'genders' that you think are fake (non binary, genderqueer etc) but you're already proved to be wrong
Yes I will be all biological like that as a scientist. We do indeed have more chromosomal variability than just XY and XX which, gives no fuel to your fire at all. Each chromosomal aberration in the form of kleinfelters syndrome or whichever aneuploidy you want to pick out of thin air... IS PRIMARILY A SINGLE SEX DISORDER WITH SECONDARY CHARECTERISTICS. So no this doesn’t just magically produce a third or fourth sex. It’s a male with secondary female characteristics or vice versa. In between is for hipsters.
Relentas
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by wastedcuriosity)
I think there's a difference between sex and gender. There's two biological sexes but more genders. I don't really understand what the other genders are, but I think for some people it's more than just black and white, for example non binary
agree with the first bit, 2 COMMON biological sexes, read the person below. Genders, just read my post, I just think it's more like a religion, some people can believe in it, others not.

Like jeez. Sex and gender are interchangeable for one. There are other chromosomes combos, yea. In that case I'd say "other" or male or female depending what they decided on later in life, maybe at 16. The government need a way to sort everyone into categories for databases etc (and I'm sure they already have it). From what I've typed up your "gender" just seems to describe your personality and if you act a certain way, unless you want to inform/correct me on that. Rather than making up names for things some people say they act like and making everyone accept those names to be real, just say you act a certain way. No need to put a fancy label on it and change the dictionary to suit them.

(Original post by m005eman)
Tbh, I believe biologically, there is only two genders, but believe people can identify as what they want, mainly cus i really couldn't care less, just don't be a ****.
I agree with the first bit. And the second bit tbh, believe what you want, your life you're wasting if you're spending hours a day lecturing people on something most people laugh at you about. Seems like creationism in a way.

And even if you don't believe in the other genders (sounds kinda stupid) I don't understand how you would know they don't exist as you've never stood in their shoes
I know gay people exist, though I'm not gay. I mean, you could say "they're faking being gay" but that'd be stupid. I know people believe in there being numerous genders, though I've never thought "im pangendered". Seems more like a silly religion created by people who want to make themselves sound interesting by labeling their mind.

Ok, I'm not going to get into an argument as I'm a pacifist. (but not really.)
But here's my take on all of this spaghet!
Sex = Male or female. 100% unless you want to include hermaphrodites which would be "both" on passports and drivers licence etc. or "other" if none of those apply.
Gender, you can argue is a "social construct" buuuut I think not, the fact we interchange sex and gender so much just shows how similar/the same they are, before all this 2016 stuff came out of people saying I'm an attack helicopter came out, I'd have just considered them to be the exact same thing until the day I had died. (You can argue somehow that bat and bat are the same thing where a bat is an animal and a bat is a baseball bat. but they're different words depending on the context.)

Thing is, people seem to change gender because of their personality and how they act and so they can be "numerous genders at a time" or something. I think, we as a society should say "Ok, sex is the same as gender, but I act like a man a bit and act like a woman sometimes." not "I'm bi gendered" as that just confuses people and is annoying.
mundosinfin
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Daveboi115)
Yes I will be all biological like that as a scientist. We do indeed have more chromosomal variability than just XY and XX which, gives no fuel to your fire at all. Each chromosomal aberration in the form of kleinfelters syndrome or whichever aneuploidy you want to pick out of thin air... IS PRIMARILY A SINGLE SEX DISORDER WITH SECONDARY CHARECTERISTICS. So no this doesn’t just magically produce a third or fourth sex. It’s a male with secondary female characteristics or vice versa. In between is for hipsters.
(Original post by tizzaclaire98)
There are a lot of biological conditions which cause non-binary gender, Klinefelter Syndrome, Tetrasomy X, Androgen insensitivity syndrome, Mixed gonadal dysgenesis, 5α-reductase deficiency etc etc. A lot of these can be difficult to diagnose and only affect gender dysphoria. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are some people who jump on the bandwagon, but there are also people who LITERALLY aren't male or female.
What she said.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Or thats a load of tosh to make people feel 'edgy'.
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
Report 1 year ago
If you're XX you're female, if you're XY you're male. They are the two sexes, and the vast majority of people are one or the other. The only exceptions are if you have a different combination of chromosomes, which I assume is a minute number of people, and I don't know enough about that to comment.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who do you think will be the next PM?

Boris Johnson (158)
74.53%
Jeremy Hunt (54)
25.47%

Watched Threads