The Student Room Group

Need help with maths

Hey.. how do I go from a grade 4 to a grade 7 in maths by the time of my GCSEs? I feel really demotivated as I have no idea what to do and how to improve in a short amount of time. (I'm in year 11)
Reply 1
Original post by i hate my life
Hey.. how do I go from a grade 4 to a grade 7 in maths by the time of my GCSEs? I feel really demotivated as I have no idea what to do and how to improve in a short amount of time. (I'm in year 11)

Keep working hard, don't give up. Try and do as much past papers you can! For maths it's the best way to learn from your mistakes and then improve on the things you got wrong. Ask your teachers for don't be afraid. Good luck
www.mathsbot.com is a useful revision tool
Reply 3
Make a schedule and stick to it with rewards if you succeed, I mean, say you study every night for 1 hour, 20 minutes then 10 minute break, etc until you've done 3x 20 minute breaks, if you do that for a week and make some progress, reward yourself.

In terms of curriculum; best to ask a teacher, they will know the best ways to get ahead and possibly have past exam papers for you to do, this will help and they can also Mark what you've done and let you know what to improve on. Additionally there are plenty of places online that have these and other ways of working through.

My advice is have someone motivate you, a friend or teacher or parent etc, someone you don't want to let down, this and the rewards you give yourself I found was the best way to study and build knowledge when I had no motivation.

I know it's vague, but I hope it helps.
Also, keep a study log so you know what you've done and when and if you slack you can make up for it another day.
Do a few maths papers, u can get them marked by ur teacher or anyone at home or even do it yourself.

After looking at the marks u get and looking at all the topics u will be able to identify where ur weakest topics are in maths.

Now u will have to improve on these topics, u can do this by finding worksheets, watching videos (Khan Academy is great) using textbooks with questions, ask ur teachers, go to lunchtime sessions. Improve the topics but make sure u keep all the other topics in practice. But try not to give up

Quick Reply

Latest