The Student Room Group

Info on Plymouth Medical school

Hi,
I have received an offer for the A100 course from Plymouth and I was wondering if anyone can give me some information about some things:
I know it is PBL but is there any lectures?
What is the course like (e.g. what modules are covered in each term/year)? as the website is vague
Why did you choose it?
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
Original post by 12-thousand
Hi,
I have received an offer for the A100 course from Plymouth and I was wondering if anyone can give me some information about some things:
I know it is PBL but is there any lectures?
What is the course like (e.g. what modules are covered in each term/year)? as the website is vague
Why did you choose it?

Im a first year at Plymouth
it is PBL but you have 8/9 lectures a fortnight and 3x 2 hour session of life sciences
in first year you basically cover the healthy body in 2 week case units- conception(menstrual cycle and reproduction), foetal (how a foetus grows...), infancy (immunology), childhood (bones), adolescence (puberty), young adult (respiratory) maturity 1 (cardiac), maturity 2 (GI), old age 1 (renal) and old age 2 (neurology) I think!
Original post by Isobeld1999
Im a first year at Plymouth
it is PBL but you have 8/9 lectures a fortnight and 3x 2 hour session of life sciences
in first year you basically cover the healthy body in 2 week case units- conception(menstrual cycle and reproduction), foetal (how a foetus grows...), infancy (immunology), childhood (bones), adolescence (puberty), young adult (respiratory) maturity 1 (cardiac), maturity 2 (GI), old age 1 (renal) and old age 2 (neurology) I think!

Thanks for your post! I was just wondering what you thought of student life/ the city. Because I was fairly sceptical about the course and the city, but then I went to one of the offer holder days, and really liked the course (and surprisingly the virtual dissection table as well). But from what I saw of the city, it seemed quite small and almost like there was nothing to do outside of the city centre. And coming from a large city, I feel like that would be a massive change (I know med school isnt all about the city/ nightlife but I do wanna enjoy my time there).

Also, what would you say are the worst aspects of the med school/ any disadvantages of the med school? And is it true that medics tend to keep within themselves and not get as involved with the main university/ other course students?

Sorry for all the questions!
Original post by hopefulmedic234
Thanks for your post! I was just wondering what you thought of student life/ the city. Because I was fairly sceptical about the course and the city, but then I went to one of the offer holder days, and really liked the course (and surprisingly the virtual dissection table as well). But from what I saw of the city, it seemed quite small and almost like there was nothing to do outside of the city centre. And coming from a large city, I feel like that would be a massive change (I know med school isnt all about the city/ nightlife but I do wanna enjoy my time there).

Also, what would you say are the worst aspects of the med school/ any disadvantages of the med school? And is it true that medics tend to keep within themselves and not get as involved with the main university/ other course students?

Sorry for all the questions!

The city is a nice size for me- I am originally from a village so I guess that might be different but I know people from big cities that say that Plymouth is a nice size. It is nice because basically everything is no more than a half an hour walk away basically- which is useful for placements. in terms of the nightlife there are a few clubs and the SU is really good at the weekends. I wouldn't say there was nothing to do- lots of people drive to Dartmoor for walks or go to the beach or walk to the hoe and to be honest there is not a lot of time to do lots!
I wouldn't say there was anything that stood out to me as a negative aspect of the medical school- its definitely a difficult subject but that is going to be the same at every med school
There is a tendency of medics to stick together- it is easier because other medics understand what you are going through but I wouldn't say that it is a bad thing to stick with other medics but I know a lot of people have their flatmates on different courses as their friends and if you are part of other societies you can make friends there
Reply 5
Hey Everyone!

I was just wondering if anybody knew when Plymouth medical students sit their finals? As I know that at some unis they are sat at the end of 4th year, also if any of you guys are currently med students how much of a consideration do you think this should be this be for applicants? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest