The Student Room Group

Buying an Audi

A very Happy New Year to you all.

My wife and I are thinking of buying either an Audi A4 or A6 within the next 18 months. We don’t use the family car too much since my wife & I use public transport to get to and from work, we would do approx. 6000 mile per year. We have 2 teenage kids and the car would be for the family.
Apart from price and size, what other things would we need to consider whether to buy an Audi A4 or A6? What size and type of engine should we look for? How old should the car be? Is buying a car with 50k on the clock already a bit excessive?
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Probably better to ask the dealer than at a student forum 😁
Original post by geek84

My wife and I are thinking of buying either an Audi A4 or A6 within the next 18 months. We don’t use the family car too much since my wife & I use public transport to get to and from work, we would do approx. 6000 mile per year. We have 2 teenage kids and the car would be for the family.
Apart from price and size, what other things would we need to consider whether to buy an Audi A4 or A6? What size and type of engine should we look for? How old should the car be? Is buying a car with 50k on the clock already a bit excessive?

The engine size is a must. For Audis don't go below 1.4 as audi requires torque and you wouldn't get this with a 1.2 for instance.

Ideally, the car should be between 2014-2016. Though obviously its up to you on what year you select. I would personally and I have gone for a 2015 model of Audi.

In my opinion, it is excessive if there is 50k on the clock I would look for lower depending on how long I desire the car to last and so forth.

All the best and I truly hope you find you're new car! 😁
Reply 3
Original post by MiszShortee786
The engine size is a must. For Audis don't go below 1.4 as audi requires torque and you wouldn't get this with a 1.2 for instance.

Audis themselves don't require high torque. A heavy A4 or A6 does. A1 or A3? Not so much.

Heavy saloons from the last decade are almost never sold with 1.4L engines. You'd be looking at an absolute buying-it-for-the-badge-embarassing minimum of 1.6L. The average german saloon will run with a 1.8/2/2.1L Turbo charged diesel engine.

Year and mileage depends on budget but as a minimum perhaps 2013 with no more than 30k on the clock. The A6 will be a lot more spacious but if you're driving around town more than cruising on the motorway you may find it a bit cumbersome and excessive.

As for engines, diesel will give you greater economy and pack a lot more torque lower in the rev range which is important to get a 2 ton car moving. Most cars in this class will be sold as a diesel for this reason. However, diesel is generally worse for the environment than a petrol vehicle and you may end up paying more in road tax. Some cars can be topped up with ad-blue which you'll have to buy and re-fill from time to time, it's inexpensive and helps to reduce nitrogen oxide emissions therefore bringing the road tax cost back down. Be sure to ask the dealer if the car has this feature.
Note. If you live in London, perhaps consider if the recent diesel vehicle restrictions and penalties affect you.

I'd say start by going on a test drive in a 2.0L diesel A4 first.
See if it's spacious or luxurious enough for your needs. If not then proceed to test drive the A6.
Regardless of the vehicle consider if an automatic would be more appropriate for you or your wife's preferences, the level of road noise, whether or not there's enough power, is the ride comfortable, is the interior specification cheap or well specced out, if there's any unexpected noises at both high and low speeds, is the visibility and access of the vehicle appropriate, does it sit too low, is it fun to drive, does it cruise well, etc.

Also consider rival vehicles of the same age and mileage. If you want a more dynamic driving experience consider a BMW 328i. If you want more comfort then go for a Mercedes C220 or C250 (2012 and on).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by NX172
Audis themselves don't require high torque. A heavy A4 or A6 does. A1 or A3? Not so much.

Heavy saloons from the last decade are almost never sold with 1.4L engines. You'd be looking at an absolute buying-it-for-the-badge-embarassing minimum of 1.6L. The average german saloon will run with a 1.8/2/2.1L Turbo charged diesel engine.

Year and mileage depends on budget but as a minimum perhaps 2013 with no more than 30k on the clock. The A6 will be a lot more spacious but if you're driving around town more than cruising on the motorway you may find it a bit cumbersome and excessive.

As for engines, diesel will give you greater economy and pack a lot more torque lower in the rev range which is important to get a 2 ton car moving. Most cars in this class will be sold as a diesel for this reason. However, diesel is generally worse for the environment than a petrol vehicle and you may end up paying more in road tax. Some cars can be topped up with ad-blue which you'll have to buy and re-fill from time to time, it's inexpensive and helps to reduce nitrogen oxide emissions therefore bringing the road tax cost back down. Be sure to ask the dealer if the car has this feature.
Note. If you live in London, perhaps consider if the recent diesel vehicle restrictions and penalties affect you.

I'd say start by going on a test drive in a 2.0L diesel A4 first.
See if it's spacious or luxurious enough for your needs. If not then proceed to test drive the A6.
Regardless of the vehicle consider if an automatic would be more appropriate for you or your wife's preferences, the level of road noise, whether or not there's enough power, is the ride comfortable, is the interior specification cheap or well specced out, if there's any unexpected noises at both high and low speeds, is the visibility and access of the vehicle appropriate, does it sit too low, is it fun to drive, does it cruise well, etc.

Also consider rival vehicles of the same age and mileage. If you want a more dynamic driving experience consider a BMW 328i. If you want more comfort then go for a Mercedes C220 or C250 (2012 and on).

Thank you for letting me know. 😀
I work for Audi:

If you don't plan to use these a lot, don't bother with the A4 or A6.

Maybe a good idea to go for an A3 Sportback or A3 Saloon. Both are fantastic in their own right. If you are going to go with an A3, which i'd recommend, due to you're low annual mileage of 6000. I'd go with a petrol: the 1.5L TFSI with cylinder-on-demand. This engine has plenty of punch and because of the cylinder on demand, has the ability to shut down two cylinders when cruising to save fuel.

The basic Sport trim has pretty much everything you'd want on it already so no need to delve into the options list too much.

Having driven one with this engine, it's very good.

P.S:
I work at Marshall Audi Oxford so if you go through them, mention me :wink:
I'm not a sales exec though so I won't be there to handle you're inquiry unless you seriously want me to.
Reply 6
Don;t forget to ask for indicators.
Reply 7
Thanks for all your feedback, folks.
Not gonna lie was expecting this to be an AMA.
Original post by geek84

Personally, I would go for an A5, it's available in a 5-door saloon which just looks like a cooler version of the A4 :biggrin:.

Anyway, out of the two you have chosen I would go for the A4 (unless your family is quite tall and in need of more head/leg room). It's easier to park, more fun to drive, cheaper to repair and insure.

Out of all the engine choices you have I would go for a 2.0 TDI Diesel which has the sweet spot when it comes to performance and fuel economy, it's about 140 Bhp and 55 Mpg which is the best you can get from an Audi (BMW on the other hand :smile: )

But definitelt take them for a test drive and make sure you test out what it's like in the back seats, how high your knees are in comparison to your bum and how freely you can move your head, these may seem like little things but when you have passengers in the back (for prolonged periods of time) it can make or break a journey for them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending