The Student Room Group

Funding yourself through an Access course

How does everyone go about financing themselves while studying an access course?

My local college offers the course, but it is on Monday, Tuesday and a half day Wednesday. I work full-time as I rent a flat with my partner, so obviously do not have my parents to fall back on. How do people many this? Is there some sort of funding you can get that would pay for your accommodation/living costs in the same way a university student would? Or is it normal for people to work around their education?

Thank you in advance.
Original post by Laceyv
How does everyone go about financing themselves while studying an access course?

My local college offers the course, but it is on Monday, Tuesday and a half day Wednesday. I work full-time as I rent a flat with my partner, so obviously do not have my parents to fall back on. How do people many this? Is there some sort of funding you can get that would pay for your accommodation/living costs in the same way a university student would? Or is it normal for people to work around their education?

Thank you in advance.

Colleges have their own individual bursaries and you can get advanced learning loan to pay the fees but you won't get a living cost loan like you do for degrees.
my access course began with a 5 day week so i had to work every weekend but i had saved up through summer even though i had given up on a successful application by the previous month. i had to continue with working weekends and as many extra shifts as i could pick up over the two week xmas break. i managed to complete the course with 100% attendance and pay my way with only an extra £432 per month from the college for bursary/travel costs. i did have to sacrifice a personal life to complete the course but it felt very rewarding to look back at the end and see what i had achieved
I have a friend that is looking to study for an access course next year and I have already warned him to start saving money. I worked through mine and it was harder than what I am experiencing now at uni due to there being no financial support for living costs. Basically, I cut my full time hours(and all the overtime) down to 20 hours per week and lived like a monk. The silver lining is the course goes so quickly that your feet don't touch the ground.

As @claireestelle mentioned, you can get an advanced learner loan for the course fees at the very least.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending