Skyhawkwolf
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
One of my teachers hasn't taught us anything at all. The class has ended up having to teach itself half of the biology course. So far 7 complaints have been filed but I'm unconvinced that anything will change because the teacher is married to the headteacher. Anyone else in a similar situation? Anyone got any tips?
Bamble
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm in the exact same situation especially with bio (which is so difficult as well having to teach yourself). Mostly what we do is teach ourselves as well but sometimes we also ask for help from other biology teachers in the school. Is there anyone else you can ask?
Skyhawkwolf
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bamble)
I'm in the exact same situation especially with bio (which is so difficult as well having to teach yourself). Mostly what we do is teach ourselves as well but sometimes we also ask for help from other biology teachers in the school. Is there anyone else you can ask?
Yeah, there is another teacher but he, being the head of science, is usually quite busy with other things
Bamble
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
OMG that's so difficult Is there anyway of speaking to the teacher herself? Not in a cruel way or anything just say something along the lines of that you're really struggling and don't think you're learning much from self-teaching? If not I guess you could ask on this website things you're struggling with? Or try and work together with your friends to understanding it (I know me and my friends have a group chat to ask each other questions) but what I found most helpful honestly is just writing out what the text book says (to get a better understanding of it) and also using the apply it questions in the books and looking at the answers (it kinda gave me a better idea of the content)

Sorry it's not much helpful but good luck anyways!
Skyhawkwolf
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bamble)
OMG that's so difficult Is there anyway of speaking to the teacher herself? Not in a cruel way or anything just say something along the lines of that you're really struggling and don't think you're learning much from self-teaching? If not I guess you could ask on this website things you're struggling with? Or try and work together with your friends to understanding it (I know me and my friends have a group chat to ask each other questions) but what I found most helpful honestly is just writing out what the text book says (to get a better understanding of it) and also using the apply it questions in the books and looking at the answers (it kinda gave me a better idea of the content)

Sorry it's not much helpful but good luck anyways!
A message has been passed on to him so there is hope, but the school has a track record of not changing despite a large amount of complaints and telling us all to suck it up. And this teacher, being the husband of the headteacher won't be under any pressure to change
rezzie87
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I used to be in your position. Basically had to become the teacher and do 3 A-levels on my own with occasional help from my teachers.

Don't get discouraged. Continue to do your own thing. Having a bad teacher might impact your a-level results, but will result in you becoming self-sufficient and able to think critically. This is key for uni.

I have worse a level grades than other students at my uni, yet I'm performing equally well, if not better, than the rest because I learn independently and can bring my grades up without extra help. I know a fair share of A* students who still ask their parents to check their assignments, which is frankly quite pathetic.

So yh, just make sure you understand the specification and you're good to go. Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (130)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.17%
Not great so far... (256)
35.85%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.77%

Watched Threads