The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Wow this debate has gone well off tracks :tongue: Ok then, with all the current evidence and taking an educated prediction in which situation do you think a person is more likely to be healthier, if they were breast fed for a year as a baby but smoked for a year when they were 16, or if they were not breast fed as a baby and didn't smoke at all? In other words is not recieving breast milk for the first year worse than smoking for a year when older?

Reason I ask - In people who quit smoking the body heals itself and all their risk factors return to normal after say 10 years. But not being breast fed is like someone said irriplaceable so I don't understand why smoking is seen as much worse than not breast feeding.
Reply 81
PinkMobilePhone
It's okay I got it (after reading through what you wrote about four times and mulling it over in my mind lol). On Friday for the interview, speak slowly :wink:

Hey Im like that all the time I don't think I have ever actually finished an exam paper im so slow!
Anonymous,
Wow this debate has gone well off tracks :tongue: Ok then, with all the current evidence and taking an educated prediction in which situation do you think a person is more likely to be healthier, if they were breast fed for a year as a baby but smoked for a year when they were 16, or if they were not breast fed as a baby and didn't smoke at all? In other words is not recieving breast milk for the first year worse than smoking for a year when older?

Reason I ask - In people who quit smoking the body heals itself and all their risk factors return to normal after say 10 years. But not being breast fed is like someone said irriplaceable so I don't understand why smoking is seen as much worse than not breast feeding.

smoking around a baby can KILL them. It increases the risk of cot death. Is that a chance that should be taken? You don't see formula killing people!

Edit : and anyway you're veering away from your original question now by talking about people smoking in later life. Originally you were questioning whether smoking around a baby is worse than giving them formula, were you not?
Reply 83
PinkMobilePhone
smoking around a baby can KILL them. It increases the risk of cot death. Is that a chance that should be taken? You don't see formula killing people!

Edit : and anyway you're veering away from your original question now by talking about people smoking in later life. Originally you were questioning whether smoking around a baby is worse than giving them formula, were you not?

Its just I see just as many studies concluding bad long term health of babies who are not breast fed than I do on the long term effects of smoking which made me wonder.

Im not saying that formula feeding is as inexcusable as smoking its not since smoking harms the baby but im just going off studies and evidence which Ive come across etc, formula fed babies have an higher risk of cot death too.

Yea I know im asking a different question now I think the answer to the original is too obvious like you said smoking must be a lot worse.
Reply 84
PinkMobilePhone

I heard something very relevant when I went into work today. A colleague who was due to return to work from paternity leave didn't come back as one of his twins had been taken to big childrens hospital from local general hospital. They thought she was going to need surgery due to serious bowel problem. This little one was very prem and only out of hospital a couple of weeks ago at three months old. Anyway she was doing well but mom struggling to keep on breastfeeding when she got home with two little ones so she weaned them on to formula. Well they think the formula milk is the problem, she is improving, don't know what she is being fed at the moment, but it does show that not breastfeeding can cause serious problems.
Reply 85
flump
I heard something very relevant when I went into work today. A colleague who was due to return to work from paternity leave didn't come back as one of his twins had been taken to big childrens hospital from local general hospital. They thought she was going to need surgery due to serious bowel problem. This little one was very prem and only out of hospital a couple of weeks ago at three months old. Anyway she was doing well but mom struggling to keep on breastfeeding when she got home with two little ones so she weaned them on to formula. Well they think the formula milk is the problem, she is improving, don't know what she is being fed at the moment, but it does show that not breastfeeding can cause serious problems.

It doesn't show that its the formula thats caused it, if babies can't handle being formula fed (apart from being lactose intolerent) chances are the baby ill anyway even if he/she does improve with breast milk.
Reply 86
Anonymous,
It doesn't show that its the formula thats caused it, if babies can't handle being formula fed (apart from being lactose intolerent) chances are the baby ill anyway even if he/she does improve with breast milk.

Oh OK, I'll tell him to mention it to the Consultant in charge of the case as he is obviously on the wrong track. :smile:
Reply 87
Elles
Depends on the 'bowel problem' you're talking about - off the top of my head it's thought breast feeding is protective against nectrotizing entercolitis specifically, especially in premature babies. :smile:

Sorry, I didn't get the name but I know it is pretty bad and they have had an awful few days. Shame because after a difficult start they were doing really well. Also the other baby, the bigger twin, is still doing well. Would that be relevant, the bigger child being OK?
Reply 88
Don't tell him anything there is no wrong track lol, all I meant is that the baby was very premature, you said so yourself, so its not just the formula.
flump
Oh OK, I'll tell him to mention it to the Consultant in charge of the case as he is obviously on the wrong track. :smile:

Someones on the wrong tracks, doesn't sound very healthy.

I stay clear of babies as soon as my friends son see's my face he cries.
Okay, I admit formula can give babies the runs if they aren't used to it (or switching from one brand to another can as well), but generally that's all they get, the runs. I have no experience of preemies so I don't know how things effect them, perhaps their bowels simply aren't developed enough to cope with formula, I don't know.

Still, smoking can and does often cause people (whether it be through cot death or lung cancer). By comparison, I'd say the number of babies that die from formula related complications has gotta be extremely small.
Reply 91
:banghead:
Reply 92
Renal
:banghead:

That must hurt. So overall if a baby isn't breast fed then what other ways are there that they could have an health advantage over a breast fed kid?
Reply 93
alio~
That must hurt. So overall if a baby isn't breast fed then what other ways are there that they could have an health advantage over a breast fed kid?
They could not be deep fat fried by a mother suffering from post-partum depression.

The women's ward at work is a collection of fun.
Reply 94
Renal
They could not be deep fat fried by a mother suffering from post-partum depression.

The women's ward at work is a collection of fun.

Oh yes, I remember it so well. I decided that it would be a good idea to kill my baby boy in case someone shouted at him, one day somewhere in the future. I could picture it so clearly, my three day old baby as an angelic five year old being shouted at because he forgot his PE kit or something. I sobbed my heart out and felt infanticide was the only answer. Fortunately I got over it and was OK. The scary thing is no one noticed, or if they did they just ignored me. Fortunately for me it only lasted a day, the crying that is, the murder plan was just half an hour or so.
A women my nan used to know has depression after giving birth and got her self knocked down on a main road on purpose..not nice. Hormones must be messed up.

I might as well join in with the 'which is healthiest' topic...I think this is a tough one.. a 15 year old kid who was breast fed but has diabetes or a non breast fed non diabetic kid of the same age. Lets say these 2 are twins to rule out a lot of variables. Now this may seem a very stupid question BUT with diabetes these days being controlled well and with all the long term benefits which breast feeding is supposed to offer you might be inclined to say overall the diabetic kid is healthier since he was bf.
Reply 96
Why do people continuously say stupid things about breastfeeding, if you were breast fed is doesn't mean you are neccesarily healthier than someone who was formula fed. Studies show a general trend but thats all, if you are healthy, not obese and lead an healthy lifestyle it wouldn't have made any difference if you had been breast fed or not.

If people can fully recover after smoking for 10 years then im sure people can recover from not being breast fed.
Reply 97
goodLife
If people can fully recover after smoking for 10 years then im sure people can recover from not being breast fed.
You're comparing two completely different sets of biological processes (thousands in each really) and you want to use logic as flimsy as that?
flump
Oh yes, I remember it so well. I decided that it would be a good idea to kill my baby boy in case someone shouted at him, one day somewhere in the future. I could picture it so clearly, my three day old baby as an angelic five year old being shouted at because he forgot his PE kit or something. I sobbed my heart out and felt infanticide was the only answer. Fortunately I got over it and was OK. The scary thing is no one noticed, or if they did they just ignored me. Fortunately for me it only lasted a day, the crying that is, the murder plan was just half an hour or so.

wow that must have been awful to feel like that. :hugs:
Reply 99
Renal
You're comparing two completely different sets of biological processes (thousands in each really) and you want to use logic as flimsy as that?

So you think that not being breast fed is more harmful than smoking?

Latest

Trending

Trending